Best TV < $750?

theeipi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
I am currently purchasing a new TV for a new dorm which will house 12th graders at a small private school (16 students will live in the dorm next year).

The TV needs to be durable, as they are kids. Thus I CANNOT buy a projector which would be awesome.

I have the benefit that the last TV's purchased for dorms were 32" CRT SDTV's maybe 7 or 8 years ago for $500+ dollars, so my people think that is still the going rate.

When I mentioned I could buy a comparable TV spending $400, but that I wanted something much nicer, I was given a $750 max limit to spend.

I am not sure whether the dorm will be getting digital or analog cable, so the picture needs to look great in HD and SD.

What is the best TV to get? Currently I'm looking at a 30" Phillips HDTV for $700 and a 30" Samsung Slimfit for $750. Both are at Circuit City so I can use the 10% off coupon posted here?

Any thoughts on these two TV's or any other TV's I should look at?

TIA

Get a shitty one at a yardsale and keep the sweet tv for yourself. Mwa ha ha!

... I don't know anything about Tvs. I just wanted to play Devil's Advocate, but I hear Slimfits are nice.

Well, you probably could cnosider the lower quality TVs, such as Vizio (if LCD is ok that is). They aren't as great as the big names, but they are good enough, espacially if it's just for use in a dorm.

You could find the L32 for about 799 a costco. A bit over your budget, though considering Costco's return policy, it might be worth it, just incase some kid decides to take a crap on the TV.

Costco also has the ocasional sale also, so you might even be able to grab it for cheaper.

[quote name='WhiteRob']Wal-Mart has that same 30" Philips for $524. I have it and it's a great TV.[/quote]

Do you have a link by any chance? I just want to see how it looks like.

im very weary of purchasing phillips products because the tv i bought just died out on me with no reason and it turns out that a lot of other people had the same problem so I will NEVER buy from phillips again. Looks like Sony has a good track record for durability.

I've had my Phillips TV for _eight_ years - not a problem yet.

I'm personally planning to buy one of Sony's 36 inch HD Wegas, they retail for just over $800 and do 1080i. I'm not a fan of LCDs(dead pixels), Plasmas(burn in), or Projection TVs(burn in, viewing angles suck) - so I think the Wegas are a fantastic value for what you get.

[quote name='nathansu']
I'm personally planning to buy one of Sony's 36 inch HD Wegas, they retail for just over $800 and do 1080i. [/quote]

Where can you find that? I bought today at Circuit City the 32 inch WEGA SDTV. It retailed for about $652 on sale. The 36 inch SDTV was about $900. Neither were HDTV.

BTW, I planned on getting the 27inch Samsung Slimfit HDTV, but after watching my parents Sony WEGA SDTV the night before I realized that its picture was pretty darned good, our cable in the dorm is not digital nor HDTV, and the screen would be 4 inches wider and 3 higher.

I then pricematched it to J and R Music World at $550 and presented the scanned $40 off $200 purchase coupon posted here so I got it for about $500 with not tax.

Circuit City had a 34inch WideScreen HDTV WEGA for 1199, which is much higher than posted above.

I've seen the 36 Wega at Best Buy and CC - I guess it depends where you live. I've previously seen it on sale for about what I quoted above.

The 34 Wega is nice too, if you like widescreen. But if I were to buy it, I'd wait for a 20% coupon to come around.

bread's done
Back