Best TV for around $2000

I have a Sony 42A10 and really like it. There are draw-backs to every technology that is out there at the moment. Personally, the Sony fit my criteria of size, lack of gaming lag, no fear of burn-in, and price. I am not overjoyed with the picture, but it still looks damn good.

If you want to do some (and by some I mean a lot) research, check out www.avsforum.com

How big do you want? Do you want LCD/Plamsa/DLP or a RPTV? Will it be Wall Mountable?
I personally think you can get the BIGGEST TV as a RPTV, but they are rather large. It all depends on what you want I guess. You have to consider the amount of space you have...

Mitsubishi makes good TV's. If you want something with 1080p, they get pricey....

well it looks like this will be the big screen for the living room. Gonna get a wall mountable one for my parents room later on so my father can watch comfortabley.

[quote name='imamario02']Hitachi 55" Ultravision, two HDMI, 1080P, etc.. etc.. etc..[/quote]

For ~ 2K?? Where is that truck parked??

OP, I'd look at any regional chains you might have. I got the follwing set ~8 months ago for 2K with matching stand and 5 yr extended warranty with lamp replacement from a regional chain.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=52hm84

I'd stay away from plain ol' CRT RPTVs. They are the bottom of the barrel for picture quality. A nice DLP or LCoS set ~ 50" should be within your range if you do some looking. It won't be 1080p, but there aren't any 1080p sources right now anyway.

[quote name='clariste']Projector + 2 billion inch screen[/quote]

Agreed.

I was in the market for a huge tv myself, but decided to get a projector instead. I ended up with a panasonic AE900.

Playing games on a 4' by 8' screen is incredible, all in HD.

[quote name='klwillis45']
I'd stay away from plain ol' CRT RPTVs. They are the bottom of the barrel for picture quality. A nice DLP or LCoS set ~ 50" should be within your range if you do some looking. It won't be 1080p, but there aren't any 1080p sources right now anyway.[/QUOTE]

That pipe your smoking contains rock cocaine...its messing with your brain.

As your comment above clearly indicates, you can't surpass the picture quality of a CRT set.

CRT's still produce the richest and most vibrant images currently available in a display, bar none. LCD's cant touch them, DLP's can't touch them, SXRD/Lcos can't touch them.

The problem is that in order to get one that fully resolves 1080i, you need one with 9" guns..and those aren't cheap. They are also CRT's, which means they are huge...and weigh as much as a Volkswagon. (We're talking CRT RPTV's here not CRT Tube sets). They are also mildly succeptable to burn in, and will require convergence and geometry adjustments.

Your typical CRT produces a contrast ratio upwards of 10,000:1. The best DLP's and Plasmas claim 4000:1 and thats with funky IRIS controls and modulating apetures, which you can see if your eyes are sensitive (seeing the screen getting brighter and dimmer as the TV tries to compensate and maintain that 4000:1 CR, which by the way, almost none have been measured at.

I wouldn't recommend getting a CRT at this stage of the game either, unless money is tight.....but not because they have a picture quality that is "at the bottom of the barrel", thats just utterly false and complete disinformation.

HEY OP:
For $2000 have you considered going Front Projection? If you wont be watching the nightly news on this thing and stick to gaming, HD and DVD sources, for $2000 you can get a 720p LCD with decent contrast ratios and throw a 92-120 inch diagonal screen, you can also get a 720p DLP in that pricerange now with much better contrast ratios.

There are caveats to owning a front projector of course.....you can't really use them with ambient light in the room, and you can't turn them on and off like a TV.....bulb life and replacement cost is always an issue.....but then again....720p at 120 inches is a mighty nice image.

Check out ONECALL.com

You can get a 55" RP-LCD for under $2000. I highly recommend the site...great e-tailer.

Best Buy has a 52" Mits RP-LCD for around $2000 also.

Basically, go into the stores and compare. Most stores will crank the contrast up, so you will have to play with settings. It sounds like you are open to any size, so look at Rear Projection also....

not using a projector...the mother said anything with a projecter goes in the basement. Ok i dont know what all these abbreviations are and what they mean. Ive never had the money to get anything nice like this before, but now the family does. This will not be a set for gaming very often. Also what is the difference of all this HD and HD ready thing. Any brands i should stay away from? Only reason we ever had a bigscreen was because it was too large for my grandparents to move so they gave it to us.

Uh, check your own bong first headrusch.

My post clearly says CRT RPTV. AKA Ordinary projection sets. They are by far the worst for PQ.

CRT tube sets are tops for PQ (black levels) , though you can't get them over 34" since they weigh as much as a buick.

HD-Ready means it can display HD signals only if you plug a HD-Cable Box (which you rent from the cable company like you do a regular cable box) or a SetTop HDTV Decoder box.

HD means it comes with a HDTV tuner built into the tv, so all you gotta do is plug in an Antenna. Although depending on where you live, you could need a simple pair of rabbit-ears..or you could need one of those giant 1970's "antenna sticking off the top of your house" throwbacks... :p

Good Brands: Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Hitachi

Not So Good Brands: Zenith, RCA, Other Brands you've never heard of....

[quote name='klwillis45']Uh, check your own bong first headrusch.

My post clearly says CRT RPTV. AKA Ordinary projection sets. They are by far the worst for PQ.

CRT tube sets are tops for PQ (black levels) , though you can't get them over 34" since they weigh as much as a buick.[/QUOTE]

...I have no Bong......yet I must scream!?

CRT RPTV's are what I was referring to, not CRT Tube set-top sets.

CRT RPTV's produce the brightest and highest contrast picture you can buy. Don't believe me, go ask anyone who knows TV's....and I mean, not the guy who works at Best Buy part time and swears that Plasmas are the Alpha and Omega.

All digital sets are judged by how well they compare to CRT based RPTV's (3 gun projection models). People still go "Its not as good as a crt but...".

Today the advantage of having a pure digital display combined with a significantly smaller and lighter footprint are what make Digital sets so popular, and why CRT based RPTV's are now almost extinct. But it ain't because their picture sucked,dude.

[quote name='doubledown']Check out ONECALL.com

You can get a 55" RP-LCD for under $2000. I highly recommend the site...great e-tailer.

Best Buy has a 52" Mits RP-LCD for around $2000 also.

Basically, go into the stores and compare. Most stores will crank the contrast up, so you will have to play with settings. It sounds like you are open to any size, so look at Rear Projection also....[/QUOTE]

Mitsubishi - 52" Widescreen Digital-Cable-Ready Rear-Projection LCD HDTV - Silver/Black
Reg. Price: $2,299.99
You Save: $116.00
Sale: $2,183.99

For overall visual quality? Absolutely....and its been that way for the past 10 years, when digital displays began to hit on the street.

CRT's can produce contrast ratios that far exceed what digital technologies can do. Contrast Ratio is what makes colors pop, because dark areas look black, not grey. This makes colors look deep and rich. DLP and Plasma are neck in neck, but their black levels dont match CRT.

LCD is still lagging behind..their best blacks are still grey unless they are using some sort of automatic iris to vary the overall picture brightness.

Now...having said that....I'd never buy another CRT product. DLP produces blacks that are "good enough". LCD still needs work....but for overall visual quality the CRT still reigns supreme. Who wants a 300lb monster TV that takes up that huge amount of space, requires periodic convergance, and also will require geometry and focusing right when you get it home......youd on tneed to worry about any of that with a digital display.

I'm not arguing that DLP is the smart move, i agree..it is. CRT however produces the better picture.

Everyone seems to love MITS TV's. I have a 55" RPTV from Mits and I love it. Had it for close to 4.5 years now I think. I still would check out avsforums to get some opinions.

And YES....CRT RPTV have a GREAT picture. Some consider it the best, espeically if you get it calibrated.

Yes, HD-READY mean you need a HD tuner to get a HD picture. If you have Comcast (or most other cable providers), you can get one for around $5 a month...well worth it.

HD Built-In basically means...hook up an antenna to get free HD-content.

I would look for something with 720p and 1080i. Most have that now (my old Mits only does 1080i, which is fine for my needs).

If it's only for TV and DVD, you can go with almost anything. I love my Mits.

[quote name='Elrod']I have a Sony 42A10 and really like it. There are draw-backs to every technology that is out there at the moment. Personally, the Sony fit my criteria of size, lack of gaming lag, no fear of burn-in, and price. I am not overjoyed with the picture, but it still looks damn good.

If you want to do some (and by some I mean a lot) research, check out www.avsforum.com[/QUOTE]

I've got the same TV. And I don't have any issues with the television if calibrated correctly. RP-LCD, 720p native, HDMI input with optical output too. The only problem I have is that it could use another component input - it has three and I've used them up already.

Still, it's a great TV.

Jeremy

[quote name='jrutz']I've got the same TV. And I don't have any issues with the television if calibrated correctly. RP-LCD, 720p native, HDMI input with optical output too. The only problem I have is that it could use another component input - it has three and I've used them up already.

Still, it's a great TV.

Jeremy[/QUOTE]

Dont get me wrong, I love my TV. It just doesnt have the same "pop" as a nice plama, IMO. However, a nice plasma costs twice as much. In the end, I went with what I viewed as the best value for the money. Overall, I am very happy with it, and I would not heasitate to recommend it to the OP.

bread's done
Back