Best upconverting DVD player?

I don't think this player does actual DTS decoding. If so, it would have a full set of audio outputs (one for each channel) for those receivers that have the 5.1/6.1/7.1 audio inputs designed for an external decoder box.

Most players support DD/DTS, meaning that will pass the correct signals through the digital/optical connection to your receiver, which does the decoding for you.

At any rate, this Sony player is very good for the price. It does amazing upscaling for you. I would have bought one if they would have one in black!!!

Btw, it doesn't come with a HDMI cable, which you will have to use to get the upscaling benefit.

It's more expensive then 70$ but most of the people at the AVSforums rave about the Oppo. I've also heard good things there about the 360's ability to upscale.

oppo 970...from avsforum, this is the highest recommended upscale dvd player. But this is about $150.

For your price range, there's the philips 5960..It has USB 1.1 and supports also divx. I think it also has what you're looking for...not sure though.

Check avsforum dvd section though..They should have what you're looking for.

Yea i have the philips 5960 and its the few upconverting dvd players that also support divx (upconverts too). It's suppose to be able to pass dts, but im still unable to get it to work on my panasonic plasma... the big problem is that there will be a 1 cm black bar on the bottom of the screen for all 720p stuff.. i'd avoid the 5960 just cuz of the black bar.

[quote name='jimbodan']It's more expensive then 70$ but most of the people at the AVSforums rave about the Oppo. I've also heard good things there about the 360's ability to upscale.[/QUOTE]

The 360 is a kind of shitty DVD player, but yes, all three of Oppo's models are very good. They're more expensive than $70, but when $70 can only get you an RCA of all things... you know you need to look into something a little higher up. The Oppo DV-970 is like... $150.

Yea I upgraded the firmware but it seems the problem is with my tv. Im using a panasonic TH-50PX6U and people say it cant transmit the DTS from HDMI to optical. It can send the DD 5.1 fine tho. The major problem is that 1 cm black bar on the bottom of the screen.

bread's done
Back