Best version of ResEvil 2?

Morrigan Lover

CAGiversary!
I've never played Resident Evil 2, and after playing through REmake and 4, I am looking to pick this game up. I hear it is the best game in the series prior to 4. The question is: which console port is the best bang for the buck? I own an N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PC.

The N64 version seems to be the cheapest on ebay.

Playstation. Having gone through that, the N64 version & currently owning the DC version. The N64 & DC versions have bugs. Main problem is with the Dreamcast version, as it's a PC port and the audio is muffled compared to the other versions.

The N64 version is awesome if for no other reason than what they were able to do on an N64 sized cart. But other than that, I'd say GCN. The load times are reduced and the GCN isn't prone to poop out as the DC is. Plus, you can always play it on the Wii if your GCN ever does give out.

Resident Evil 2 Platinum for PC is by far the best. Roomie and I played through it in one sitting on a Friday night...one of my fondest gaming memories! :)

[quote name='hinkbert']The N64 one has compressed cut scenes FYI[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but as long as one has an expansion pack it's not too bad.

However, RE2 should absolutely NOT be played on an N64 without an expansion pack. It looks horrible.

RE3>RE2, but whatever.

Get the GameCube version. Or PS1. As said earlier, the GC version fixed some clipping issues, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Only bummer is that the GC version costs $30 bucks used now.

The N64 version also runs at 640x480 at times with the expansion pack according to Wikipedia plus it also has rumble pack support and extra files that help flesh out the story. However I just finished it last week on Gamecube and it seemed fine to me. I am playing through all the RE games on Gamecube before RE5 comes out.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, but as long as one has an expansion pack it's not too bad.

However, RE2 should absolutely NOT be played on an N64 without an expansion pack. It looks horrible.[/QUOTE]

Even if one does have the expansion pack, why the hell would you just play a worse version of the game for absolutely no reason? I can't imagine somebody not having access to any of the other systems that the game was on, and the N64 version is easily the worst. Hell, the Game.com version was about on par with it.

Nicely put Chacrana...I started a nasty thread a few months ago comparing RE2 on ps1 vs n64 you should have seen the support for the 64 version. For all those who have played it on there, myself including you know there are better versions elsewhere.

Not to get to OTT, its one of the only good "mature" rated games for the N64....

I keep my copy of RE2 for the 64 that I picked up on the cheap a long time ago , just for novelty's sake. As for best you can't really go to wrong otherwise between the DC version , the Dual Shock PS1 version or the GCN version. They're all pretty much equal otherwise.

Of the versions I've played, Gamecube is best... PC is decent, but doesn't play nice with new operating systems.

There was a re-release put out for the PC in Japan by Sourcenext in 2006, which basically had 640x480 cutscences with less compression (DVD). The gameplay was supposedly very similiar to the old PC version... I hope that they actually recompiled it for more modern operating systems... http://www.sourcenext.com/titles/ent/63070/

Here's just about everything you need to know, edited for less wall of textness. I underlined the differences between versions if you don't want to read it all, but it is very interesting. Each version tends to have some pluses to it and some negatives. Also, not mentioned is that the GC version I believe has a higher resolution than the others, not positive on that though. Also underlined the last JP release since it may be importable, don't know if it offers english though.

[edit] DualShock Version

Several months after the original release, a second version of Resident Evil 2 was released known as the DualShock Version. As the title suggests, the game was modified to incorporate support for the vibration function and analog control of the PlayStation DualShock controller. The main addition is a new unlockable minigame, Extreme Battle. The objective is to reach the police station from the underground laboratory and retrieve four anti-biohazard bombs located throughout the station. There are four playable characters and three difficulty settings. The Extreme Battle became a standard feature for subsequent versions of the game.

There are also some minor additions, such as ranking screens for the Hunk and Tofu minigames, a Rookie difficulty setting for the main game, as well as a "USA version" mode in the Japanese version, based on the North American version's default setting and a new cheat code that grants the player unlimited ammo for all weapons.

[edit] Other platforms

Like the original game, Resident Evil 2 was released on other platforms after its initial success on the PlayStation. The first of these ports was a PC version titled Resident Evil 2 Platinum in 1999. It features all the additions from the Dual Shock Version and added a new gallery mode featuring illustrations, renders and in-game character models, as well as a new Hard difficulty setting for the main game.

The Sega Dreamcast version, released the same year, features these additions, along with the added benefit of viewing the character's health in a VMU. In Japan, the Dreamcast version (where it was titled Biohazard 2 Value Plus) was bundled with a demo of Resident Evil Code: Veronica and also contained assorted music from several Resident Evil soundtracks released in Japan.

A Nintendo 64 version was also released in 1999, ported by Angel Studios (currently Rockstar San Diego). While it was the only port of the game that did not feature the Extreme Battle mode, it did contain some console-exclusive features. The most prominent was a series of additional in-game documents known as the "EX Files" that connected the plot of the game with the other games in the series (including the then-unreleased Resident Evil Zero). Other features include an item randomizer, violence control, first-person controls and new unlockable outfits replacing the ones from the previous versions. A Hunter from the first Resident Evil is also given a cameo appearance.

The game supported the Rumble Pak and Expansion Pak. The N64 version is notable due to the compression techniques that the developers were forced to use in order to fit two CD-ROMs worth of data onto a single 64MB cartridge. It also featured, for the time, a high resolution display of 640x480 compared to the PS1 version's 320x240. The game changes the resolution at each camera cut based on the number of enemies in the room. Many enemies take more processing power, so the game chooses lower resolutions. When all the enemies are defeated, it runs again at 640x480. The N64 version also features surround sound, not found on the PS1 version, using the Mosys system from Factor 5.

The Nintendo GameCube version, released in 2003, is identical to the PlayStation's Dual Shock Version in terms of content, featuring only a minimal set of improvements such as skippable cut scenes and a higher framerate for the game's FMV sequences.

An LCD game based on Resident Evil 2 was also released for the short-lived game.com in late 1998. Two versions of the game.com game were scheduled to be released, one starring Leon and the other with Claire, but only the former saw release. An aborted port for the Sega Saturn was also planned that utilized the 4MB RAM included with X-Men vs. Street Fighter.[citation needed] There was also an aborted port planned for the Game Boy Advance.[citation needed]

In 2006, it was re-released on the PC platform in Japan, with full Windows XP support and uncompressed FMV sequences.

Dreamcast version by far - plus you can hook up your dreamcast with a vga adapter which you can't do on the gc

Dreamcast is the best with Gamecube second.
I would recommend the gamecube version because you can also play it on the Wii.
I have played all the versions except for the PC version.

[quote name='Chalavet']Dreamcast version by far - plus you can hook up your dreamcast with a vga adapter which you can't do on the gc[/QUOTE]

True, but don't forget some of us are running our Gamecubes off of component video.

[quote name='darkwingduck13']Resident Evil 2 Platinum for PC is by far the best. Roomie and I played through it in one sitting on a Friday night...one of my fondest gaming memories! :)[/quote]

I played Resident Evil 3 all the way on PC and enjoyed it. Currently I'm playing RE2 on PS1.

I'd recommend both games if you can snag them. But they are best played with a controller. I did RE3 on a laptop keyboard :lol::lol:

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I did RE3 on a laptop keyboard :lol::lol:[/quote]
That's some dedication right there. ;)

[quote name='Chacrana']Even if one does have the expansion pack, why the hell would you just play a worse version of the game for absolutely no reason? I can't imagine somebody not having access to any of the other systems that the game was on, and the N64 version is easily the worst. Hell, the Game.com version was about on par with it.[/QUOTE]

You're acting like it's unplayable. Which it's not.

the pc version has this mode where u get infinite ammo on rocket launcher and a machine gun, which r awesome, but i would have to go with which ever the newest version is. i think thats is GC.

I played it on DC with the VGA adapter on my HDTV and it looked great. You can always read the N64 files on Gamefaqs.

in retrospect.. i wish nintendo redid RE2 and RE3 the same way the redid RE1 for the GC...they made a foolish mistake by simply porting the older games... IMHO RE1 looks pretty good on the GC...

but i have digressed... it seems to be between the GC and DC version... if u have both systems, go for the cheaper one... unless u like the feeling of one controller over the other...

[quote name='Chalavet']Dreamcast version by far - plus you can hook up your dreamcast with a vga adapter which you can't do on the gc[/quote]

let's not forget that the original GC had a digital port on the back of it that allowed progressive scanning on better tvs... i think RE2 allows the progressive scan to be enabled

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']
let's not forget that the original GC had a digital port on the back of it that allowed progressive scanning on better tvs... i think RE2 allows the progressive scan to be enabled[/quote]

Progressive component is still not as good as VGA.

bread's done
Back