Best Virus protection program

Wolve11

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
I was wondering what you guys think is the best virus protection program. I just had my Norton Security program expire and already my computer isn't loading my desktop anymore and it has got several problems that weren't there before. I've tried rebooting my system but that didn't do the trick.
So should I renew my Norton subscription or is there better stuff out there?
Any help is appreciated.

[quote name='Wolve22']I was wondering what you guys think is the best virus protection program. I just had my Norton Security program expire and already my computer isn't loading my desktop anymore and it has got several problems that weren't there before. I've tried rebooting my system but that didn't do the trick.
So should I renew my Norton subscription or is there better stuff out there?
Any help is appreciated.[/quote]

I like Norton, been using it for awhile. Sometimes Windows XP need to be re-installed. I'm going to do that as soon as I get an external hard drive to backup all the stuff I want...So that could be it, but if I were you I'd find out for sure because it's a bitch.

First off, Norton is generally seen as very overbearing and vulnerable - requires a lot of resources, slows your comp down, etc. I've seen several computers in my lifetime where their Norton stops working and the computer IMMEDIATELY goes to hell - so much so that I'm beginning to think the two are related in a lot of different ways.

Now, if you want free software, the two generally agreed-upon programs include Avast! and AVG. I've heard from more people that Avast is better, so I'd check that out (http://www.avast.com/).

You'll also need anti-spyware/malware programs. I suggest Spywareblaster (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html) and Windows Defender (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx). You can also add in Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) and Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) as standalone scanners.

If you want to buy software, I personally recommend PC-Cillin Internet Security. It updates as many as 4-5 times a day (and does so quickly), runs real-time scans to protect against virii, and has some firewall and spyware capability built in. You can normally get it for 50 in stores, but sometimes there are mail-in rebates that can drop it to 25 or even free ("free" requires that you show you are switching from a competing product, such as Norton or McAffee). You can also check dealnews.com for more deals on it (they appear periodically, none as of this posting).

Also, go here for a free online virus scan: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Good luck.

I downloaded AVAST and they didn't detect any viruses. The problem I am having is that my computer won't load up my desktop. I get my normal background picture, but it isn't loading my desktop for some reason. I can access everything through Task Manager but there's no start bar/tray or desktop items. Anyone have this problem before?
I tried using a boot disc but even having "recovered" from a few days ago it still won't load everything up like it supposed to.
I would be very grateful if someone could help me out and help me recover my computer.

That's generally a hardcore virus that causes that.

Your best bet is to do a complete format/reinstall.

I mean, you could screw around with it for a few hours, but that would just waste time.

I need to save a lot of files before I do that. Actually I've never done a complete format, and I don't want to mess it up. Should I save my files and bring it someplace and see if they can help me out? How does one generally reformat a computer? Thanks for being so helpful Strell, I may have to send you a game or something

It is weird though cause everything runs fine except my tray and desktop doesn't load up. I still have full access to everything else.

Strell is right, you need a reformat probably. Doing this to a computer every year or so really isn't a bad idea. Don't take it anywhere, they will charge you far too much.

I would recommend that you go out and get a 1 gig (or more) USB drive. Drop everything you need on it and then format the machine. I've redone Windows XP several times, all you need to do is pop the disk in and do a reinstall....one of the options is a complete format of the drive.

Once it gets installed, the first thing should be a firewall / virus program. They run best and fast when the machine only has an OS on it. Then I'd patch the hell out of Windows. I'd then move on to drivers for hardware followed up with anything else you need.

Make sure that you virus check the USB drive before you do anything with those saved files. No good to put the virus right back on th machine.

Hope this helps.

TBW

I'll add a bit to BlueWizard's suggestion.

A USB drive is just a small hard drive that you plug into a USB port. It's essentially a gigantic floppy disk - you can drag and drop files onto it. And given it's a holiday weekend sort of thing, there's sales all over the place. You could snag a 1 gig drive for 30 or so if you shop around, and a 2 gig for 50-60. Then it's just a question of navigating to the folders you have stuff in, and copying/pasting onto the USB drive. Generally you don't need to install any drivers or anything like that, so this is honestly the best way to go.

If you need more space than that, then you can burn files to CDs. You'd need a program like Nero or EZCD Creator to do that, or you can get a free one like Burnatonce (http://www.burnatonce.net/downloads/) or CDBurnerPro XP (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cdburnerxp.html). Keep in mind these are free programs and as such as a little slower and less featured than something you'd buy. Otherwise, you can do it natively in Windows XP if that's the OS you are running, but I don't suggest this because it's a pretty weak burning mechanism - you'd do better to get a freebie.

To reformat/reinstall (after you've backed up your files), you'd pop a Windows CD into your computer and reboot. It should detect that you have a boot CD in your drive, and will say something like "Press any key to boot from CD." You'll hit a button and it will go into the Windows startup screens - they are blue and look like old DOS shells. You'll follow the instructions to reformat/reinstall - so you'll do things like if you want to delete partitions (which you do, as it will wipe out any viruses probably on your machine), and select which partition to install XP to. The commands are simple - I think it's like D to delete, L for a full delete, etc. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

'Course, keep in mind that when you do that, you'll kill everything on your hard drive. If you've got games and programs, you'll need to reinstall them. If there's anything with saved games (for example, Warcraft III) you'll have to manually back those sorts of files up. Also, it would be a good idea to copy down your e-mail settings if you're using something like Outlook - so your account information, SMTP/POP3 servers, etc. (That can all be found in Options -> Accounts). Also, if there's any pictures, music, or chat logs you want to save, get them as well.

Finally, when you get back up, install some of those programs I linked to earlier - Avast, Windows Defender, etc. It would help you immensly if you were to download them now, save them to a CD or USB drive, and then install them immediately after you reformat and reinstall Windows. I'd go as far to suggest that you disconnect from the Internet entirely until you've gotten antivirus installed.

Anyway, let us know if this works out or if you need anymore help.

Good luck!

Coming down to the end of the road for norton also. Thxs guys for giving more choices. About that time to reformat too.

[FONT=&quot]If everything is loading except your start menu and associated bar (as you implied in one of the messages) then it could be you accidentally "pulled" the bar to the bottom of the screen. You might want to try shoving your mouse close to and on each side of your computer screen and see if you can't drag it out again.

Also, you might try loading into SAFE (F8 on startup) or, if you can, set yourself another user and log in using that to make sure that your bar didn't disappear because you set something wrong (such as your screen size vs monitor).

Hope that helps.[/FONT]

I am too tired to go over this so I just copied and paste from any other forum I previously mentioned

Get Enditall

Delete all cookies

Try using NoAdware ( which is not the best tool but can find alot stuff ) and update all definitions.

After using Noadware take a screenshot.

of its findings.

get some kind of network traffic program and screenshot everything that goes online the moment you start your computer or go online

then go to run and type "msconfig" and screen shot start up items.

* If you can find Pcrview and install then screenshot the program.

use winrar or some other compression browsing program and go into temp Internet files and delete everyting but the desktop.ini file

go to downloaded program files and delete anything odd or recent

copy down the name of the Virus files then restart your computer with the net off.

Also go into msconfig and see if you can turn it off.

blah blahy check your system/system 32 files

but in all means I would dissconect the hard drive then put it as a secondary drive then search for the file and delete it.

make sure hidden files are turned off

don't forget to delete any suspcious items in these folders

windows
directly on your C:/ drive
system
system 32
downloaded program files
temp
temporary internet files ( it would be a good thing to find a index.dat deleter but it will not make a diffrence )
Dll cache
Cache

and don't forget to delete any odd folders or program files.

try using Noadware V3 last
also it may not be the best tool but it updates from time to time

Also install Netlimiter and use that to cock block certain programs and do not use any virus defense programs since they will cause future problems

You should also check the Registry for bad entries or anything to so witht he desktop.

i vote AVG, its free, doesnt use shit for resources... and i havent had a problem for almost 2 years i think

I also use AVG and haven't had any problems with the program since I started using it (over three years ago).

As a few others have mentioned, it's also worthwhile to get some spyware detection programs as well such as AdAware and/or Spybot.

[quote name='Wolve22']The problem I am having is that my computer won't load up my desktop. I get my normal background picture, but it isn't loading my desktop for some reason. I can access everything through Task Manager but there's no start bar/tray or desktop items. Anyone have this problem before?
I tried using a boot disc but even having "recovered" from a few days ago it still won't load everything up like it supposed to.
I would be very grateful if someone could help me out and help me recover my computer.[/QUOTE]

For the desktop icons, right click on your desktop->arrange icons by->show desktop icons Make sure that this item is checked.

I'll also vouch for AVG...

I asked the same question a year ago and AVG was mentioned more than anything else. So I tried it and didn't know if it was working until I visited a ROM site and tried to download some ROMs. Boy did AVG prove to be useful, it's blocked everything the site threw at me and even found a trojan in a zipped ROM file!

I love it. It's free, it works better than Norton, it doesn't use much resources, and the automatic updates are quick and never require a restart like Norton's does.

My tray isn't loading and neither are the items on the desktop. I can't click on the background picture to do anything. So I can't arrange or pull up my taskbar. I've started backing up some files cause I know that I'm going to be needing to reformat.

I mean, when you've gotten to the point you're describing, it's almost assuredly a bad, bad virus embedded in the system somewhere. Norton systems seem to be especially vulnerable once their protection runs out, which is something I've never understood.

If you can't do much in normal mode, rebooting to Safe mode using F8 might give you some more access, but not much.

Really just need to go ahead and do the whole format thing.

Out of curiousity when you open Task Manager is "Explorer" one of the listed processes? If not try using New Task and typing Explorer.

Holy crap! I tried to run explorer and my desktop items popped up. However my task bar is still not there and for some reason I can only use the top half of my screen. The bottom half is a green box i can't seem to close. Time to explore some more stuff to see if I can fix this before i reboot. Thanks guys!

Okay so if I click on the bottom half i can access my start menu. However I can't seem to get a tray vision or pull it down with my mouse.

I've gotten viruses/trojans with Norton, AVG, and Avast!. Out of the three, AVG is the best but it didn't protect me from everything. Nod32 is my next try (thanks to Leo for popularizing it).

i had norton before, then my sub ran out, and i couldnt *cough*renew it*cough* so i got nod32. Ive had it for about a month or 2 and it seems to be good. Its light on the resources

bread's done
Back