Best way to Cash In on DVDs?

SOLDIER

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
So with more and more of my favorite movies hitting Blu Ray, I've been looking into selling my DVD copies and upgrade to their BLU equivalents. My question to you (and sorry if this isn't the right place to ask) is how can I get the most cash out of my used DVDs? On Ebay I see DVD titles being sold for a paltry $2-$5.

I just wanted to know the best way to cash in my DVDs, and what's the maximum amount I could potentially make.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']
I just don't see it... DVDs are great quality and can be upconverted for even better quality... They will always be good to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree for the most part. Like I said I'll upgrade a few that I watch a lot that are heavy on special effects or have great cinematography etc.

But for most movies, the DVD is fine as I'm not a videophile. I mean, I'm not going to laugh any harder at a comedy in HD.

Welp, sent off my dvd's to amazon. A few didnt have the inserts that came with them so they may wanna send em back. Otherwise they are complete. Maybe they will cut me a break and take em. If not i will sell elsewhere...

Not bad, i made $40 on the sale of the movie "The entity" on ebay, paid $7 for it originally. Also, i joined amazons seller list so i can sell and have already sold two dvd's immediately. With such a backlog, selling them is more important than making a ton of $ off the sale. But im thinking selling them on ebay/amazon is the way to go rather than just trading them in for store credit or real low $. Even had a friend offer to buy Firefly last night, so will be getting rid of it also....

[quote name='chuckstaton']I work at Moviestop, and we do a great program where you trade in four DVDs worth at least $1.50 and get a free preorder on something coming out.[/QUOTE]
That is a great program. When I lived in North Carolina I'd use it all the time after I got my blu-ray player. I think it was only an extra $5 or so to get the BD rather then the DVD.

I think the lesson here is if you buy a crapload of package media, you're going to regret it down the line. I have abot 120 blu-rays and still 50-60 DVDs remaining. Maybe half the blu-rays is still unwatched because there just isn't enough time. My goal is reduce blu-ray buys down to 10 or less a year. Because sometime down the line, all this crap is bound to end up in a landfill somewhere.

Imagine how retarded the people that bought hundreds/thousands of VHS and LDs before must feel like now.

[quote name='synergy3000']Try goozex.com[/QUOTE]
Goozex is great for high value DVD collections. But individual movies are almost worthless. You end up spending more on shipping then anything.

Who pays shipping when trading in at amazon/secondspin? You or the company? The shipping on collections could be a huge % of what you get...

I'm in the same boat, I started a TV DVD collection last year basically buying every deal I saw, now I have a huge backlog of DVDs to watch and every DVD I watch I basically put on the shelf and I doubt I will ever watch again. While I am a collector at heart and usually love to keep stuff, lately I've come to realize that it just takes up room and loses value. I plan on moving soon and don't want to take two huge boxes of DVDs with me.

[quote name='JJ2AH']Who pays shipping when trading in at amazon/secondspin? You or the company? The shipping on collections could be a huge % of what you get...

I'm in the same boat, I started a TV DVD collection last year basically buying every deal I saw, now I have a huge backlog of DVDs to watch and every DVD I watch I basically put on the shelf and I doubt I will ever watch again. While I am a collector at heart and usually love to keep stuff, lately I've come to realize that it just takes up room and loses value. I plan on moving soon and don't want to take two huge boxes of DVDs with me.[/QUOTE]

Dunno about secondspin but when trading to Amazon, they pay shipping.

[quote name='JJ2AH']Who pays shipping when trading in at amazon/secondspin? You or the company? The shipping on collections could be a huge % of what you get... [/QUOTE]
It depends on who you sell to. Amazon pays for you to ship trades as long as the total reaches a minimum amount ($10 I belive). But Goozex is a trading site, so you're sending your suff directly to another consumer, not to some wherehouse. So you end up paying $4 to mail a two dollar disc.

Ok, found out Secondspin credits you for shipping up to a certain amount, now would it be better to use secondspin or ebay?

How great shape do these DVDs have to be in? 95% of my collection is in excellent condition except for 3 dvds or so from original shipping or small rip in box

Ive sold 6 of my dvd sets now on amazon in the past few days along with the movie on ebay for about $110, not bad at all. They sell really fast on amazon, which is good stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same boat as the rest of you. I bought a lot of movies I really didn't need on DVD and have a collection of 650-700 for sale. I took the advice of a friend and will list them in bundles. Right now I have all the disney/pixar as well as other animated films up. I am hoping this helps me sell them faster. May try craigslist but my 1st attempt wasn't successful.

[quote name='Blumpkin']But Goozex is a trading site, so you're sending your suff directly to another consumer, not to some wherehouse. So you end up paying $4 to mail a two dollar disc.[/QUOTE]
Costs less than $2 to mail a single-disk DVD w/ case (about 4 oz.) through paypal shipping, including DC#.

My trade in with Amazon of 8 dvd's has been received and ive been informed of having a $50 gift certificate deposited in my account. Bringing my current dvd sales/credits to $150! Kinda nice, not to mention, different, making money during the holidays instead of just spending it lol...

fuck me, the amazon trade in values are awful, at least for what I would be trading in. $.50 here, $.75 there. Better to list them on craigslist...

[quote name='farfus']My trade in with Amazon of 8 dvd's has been received and ive been informed of having a $50 gift certificate deposited in my account. Bringing my current dvd sales/credits to $150! Kinda nice, not to mention, different, making money during the holidays instead of just spending it lol...[/QUOTE]

What DVDs were they?

Now that im actually selling directly on amazon i probably shoulda tried selling them to individuals, but at least i wont be spending my own $ for a while using their GC. I sold to Amazon Its always sunny in philly s. 1-3, hardy boys s. 1 and 2(i know lol), quincy s.1-2, Black Sunday, Sledge Hammer s. 2, I Spy s. 1. Im 50 so i have a huge range in tv/movie viewing :bouncy:

I tried the Amazon trade system a couple weeks ago for 12 items for $50 (and the $10 bonus), hassle-free and credited to the account quickly. Those 12 items were mostly shelf clutter with only minor value such as Titan AE and Labyrinth. Making up most of the total were a few like Disney's Tarzan that I did let go for $8 or so.

Probably the only time I'll use their trades though, there isn't much that registers good value that I'd actually want to part with.

Meh, I really don't feel like trading in these DVDs that I have for ~$3. All of them are basically brand-new (mint condition) because I take care of all my products. What also turns me off is that I paid much more, so it's like giving away money. I'd rather just keep instead of trading in for a couple bucks. I guess it's good if it has no value to you anymore.

[quote name='Stele']
Imagine how retarded the people that bought hundreds/thousands of VHS and LDs before must feel like now.[/QUOTE]

HEY!! I resemble that remark!:lol: Sad thing is I broke or wore out my Laserdisk playe and can't replace it and even now am having a hard time finding a "good" VCR (aka not cheapass)

[quote name='Casteor']Meh, I really don't feel like trading in these DVDs that I have for ~$3. All of them are basically brand-new (mint condition) because I take care of all my products. What also turns me off is that I paid much more, so it's like giving away money. I'd rather just keep instead of trading in for a couple bucks. I guess it's good if it has no value to you anymore.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. But it still works if getting say $2-3 for those cheap dvd releases that cost only $4-5 to begin with during various sales and which one truly does not want, like Labyrinth in my case. Or something like The Horse Whisperer which no one gets much for used.

Still, that one trade I did basically exhausted everything I'd allow them to have out of my own mint condition collection. Nice to know that it worked as advertised at least. Now to figure out what Blu-Ray to use the extra $10 on.

One nice thing about checking in on prices on amazon, you find a movie like The Entity, which literally quadrupled in price, and i made $40 on a movie that cost me $7. So it certainly doesnt hurt to at least look around, apparently just like with games, some of these things can really escalate in price...

Got a big box full of stuff I'd like to unload. FYE / Secondspin / Wherehouse used to be decent, especially during promotions, but the TIVs have plumetted...

I just checked Amazon per suggestions of this thread, but their TIVs are also garbage. However, since they comp shipping, I would really like to use them...

I've sold about 15 things on Goozex, and I just feel like it's a waste. I'm getting about 150 "points" per transaction (~$7.50), but I have been very displeased at the "goods" I'm getting from other members. Absolute junk. Goozex.com is not the greatest buyer's market imo. If I could get "cash" from Goozex, I think it would be worth it.

I think the best bet at this point is to go local...although I've never used craigslist. I have a local DVD / CD store that I pass by a lot that says they give good TIVs, but have never been in. I need to do this...

I would probably avoid eBay unless you are doing some sort of LOT auction. I used Half.com for a few things, and is probably the *most* money you're going to get for things if you have the patience. No listing fee, but things don't seem to move very well, BUT you can set your own price and you get cash.

Well i found out about the rise in value for The Entity through Amazon, then sold it on ebay. At one time, this $7 dvd (my cost) had 18 people watching it, and it ended up with 14 bidders, so its all about whats going for da bucks, for sure. Anyways got my 7th sale in 5 days now on Amazon, totalling about $85 on amazon as a seller, added to the $50 for the trade i made with amazon, then the $40 on ebay, so in my 10 days of sales ive cleared about $175. Merry Christmas to me, early, lol... selling Masters of Horror s.1 mausoleum box set this saturday on ebay for anyone interested.......... :bouncy:

Yeah, the Amazon TIV can also be used as a gauge for what to sell elsewhere, based on how things shift. They can also fluctuate out of the blue.

I remember considering trading The Moonlight Mile, an anime set I didn't like overall, and watched it drop from $7 tiv to $3 the next day (and still). Neither would have been worth it relative to used prices, but still an interesting shift that might muck up somebody's total when trying to meet deal criteria like the recent $10 blu-ray coupon.

[quote name='addicted2games']DVDs are not worth much so dont expect more than what you said, $2-$5. My wife took a full box of about 100 dvd's to work a few months ago and asked $3 for each one. They were all gone in two days. Easy way to get $300 in a short amount of time.[/QUOTE]

This kind of stuff is not allowed in most workplaces.

[quote name='oasisboy']This kind of stuff is not allowed in most workplaces.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but if I were to do that it'd be okay since I'm the boss :lol: I still wouldn't do it though, as it appears there is only one guy who is a serious movie collector and we have completely different tastes in movies.

I checked Amazon for prices on my WWF/WWE DVDs and some are ok ($4-$5) range. I was surprised to see Wrestlemania 2000 trades in for $7.50. I'm gonna trade some more in because I want to buy some more stuff off of them anyway :cool:

I have the boxed set complete series of Man from Uncle that rings up around $110 if sold on amazon. Gonna watch it a while longer, no real hurry since the value doesnt seem to be going down too much...:bouncy: I listed my Masters of Horror s.1 in the auction area here for anybody interested...

My collection is 300+ DVDs, while they are not an eyesore or taking up valuable space, I have been thinking about ripping them all onto a 1TB hard drive. Primarily the so-so movies that gets watched once in a while. I am debating selling them or just giving them to my elder or less fortunate relatives.

Now I am a lot more selective when it comes to purchasing movies on blu ray, it's either special effects, outstanding cinemotography , animation or a great blu ray sale.

Well the dvd sets just keep on selling, my last dvd listing just sold on amazon, making it 8 in about 12 days, not bad, gonna dig through the rest of my already seen stuff and find some more to get rid of lol... Will be getting a $85 disbursement from Amazon within 5 days...

I only want to upgrade the DVDs that are worth getting on Blu-Ray. Like someone else said in this thread, "The Dark Knight" and the rest of the Pixar films are quality on Blu-Ray. I did buy "17 Again" on dvd about two months ago, but I haven't opened it yet. I was hoping to just get the Blu-ray instead and sell the standard DVD for 16 bucks. I just love the special features you get on Blu-Ray. Anyone interested? lol.

[quote name='thesis88']I only want to upgrade the DVDs that are worth getting on Blu-Ray. Like someone else said in this thread, "The Dark Knight" and the rest of the Pixar films are quality on Blu-Ray. I did buy "17 Again" on dvd about two months ago, but I haven't opened it yet. I was hoping to just get the Blu-ray instead and sell the standard DVD for 16 bucks. I just love the special features you get on Blu-Ray. Anyone interested? lol.[/QUOTE]
dude, the standard DVD sells for $15 new on Amazon directly, or about $9 from the marketplace sellers. You're dreaming if you think you'll get $16 out of it...

Although its a videogame, i sold Cod:WaW for $24 in like 3 hrs on Amazon. Got ripped on the shipping of Masters of Horror that i sold on ebay so that wasnt anything to brag of lol. Its always hit and miss though. So far Amazon is all thumbs up! And i already have a 100% rating with 4 ratings, the others must not leave feedback since all have gotten their item within 3 days of ordering, some 2...

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']There's a record store in my town that buys/sells DVDs as well. They buy DVDs for an average of $5 each which I think it pretty good, though I haven't felt the need to get rid of any of mine.
Maybe you could check around to some of your local places that buy/sell things like music, games, DVDs, etc.[/QUOTE]

That seems high...I could make $1,000 a day profit buying DVDs for $1-2 a pop and selling them to these guys. My guess is their prices aren't that high anymore.

Ebay tends to be your best bet. You are right though, DVDs are dirt cheap these days. Better to buy than sell. Not really worth upgrading most DVDs to blu-ray unless it's something that actually looks a lot better in high-def, such as a movie with a lot of special effects or beautiful scenery. Personally, I've been adding more to my DVD collection even though I have a blu-ray player. Hard to pass up rare DVDs when I spot them for $1-2.

[quote name='Ronin317']dude, the standard DVD sells for $15 new on Amazon directly, or about $9 from the marketplace sellers. You're dreaming if you think you'll get $16 out of it...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm always amazed how many people here on CAG want to find great deals on everything, yet jack up prices when they're the seller/trader.

[quote name='Ronin317']dude, the standard DVD sells for $15 new on Amazon directly, or about $9 from the marketplace sellers. You're dreaming if you think you'll get $16 out of it...[/QUOTE]

Well, I've seen the Standard DVD at a local Walmart for $20. I've gotta get something out of it, there's always Craigslist anyway. I've sold more junk there at a higher price than what I pay for and I am most of the time successful at doing it. :D So call me crazy!

I've got about 40 DVD's that I want to dump as their duplicates for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD's or just crap that I'll never watch again and should have never bought in the first place. Unless its a Pixar movie or the complete Lost collection on Blu-Ray, I'm going to hold out and wait for Blu-Rays to hit the $10 point before I buy.

With the crappy trade in values for most of my DVD's, I'l probably just donate them this week as you can claim $5 per DVD as a charitable donation. Of course you have to itemize your deductions, etc. but its still a viable option this time of year as you can donate by the 31st and collect your return in early February.

LOL, I just decided to list all of my duplicate DVDs last week on amazon via my seller's account. I've got about 50 or so...I've already sold two - the original release of Terminator 2, and the original release of Diamonds are Forever. Terminator 2 sold for :hot:
$34.98
:hot: and Diamonds are Forever Sold for :hot:
$26.98
:hot::

Item: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (DVD) (1997) Arnold Schwarzenegger; Linda Hamilton...
Condition: Collectible - Like New
Condition Note: Complete, Mint T2 Terminator 2 on DVD (Region 1 - USA/North America). Includes all original disc, case, case inserts, and paper(s) all in near mint to mint condition. Disc is in perfect condition. Ships fast from Beverly Hills via USPS First Class with Delivery Confirmation.
Listing ID:
SKU:
Quantity: 1
Order date: 12/29/2009
Buyer's Price: $34.98
Shipping Credit: $2.98
Amazon Commission: $-7.04
Your Earnings: $30.92

Item: Diamonds are Forever (DVD) (2000) Sean Connery; Jill St. John; Charles Gray...
Condition: Collectible - Like New
Condition Note: Complete, Mint Diamonds Are Forever (James Bond 007) on DVD (Region 1 - USA/North America). Includes all original disc, case, case insert, and paper(s) all in near mint to mint condition. Disc is in perfect condition. Ships fast from Beverly Hills, CA via USPS First Class with Delivery Confirmation.
Listing ID:
SKU:
Quantity: 1
Order date: 01/01/2010
Buyer's Price: $26.98
Shipping Credit: $2.98
Amazon Commission: $-5.84
Your Earnings: $24.12

[quote name='mrrepoman']My collection is 300+ DVDs, while they are not an eyesore or taking up valuable space, I have been thinking about ripping them all onto a 1TB hard drive. Primarily the so-so movies that gets watched once in a while. I am debating selling them or just giving them to my elder or less fortunate relatives.

Now I am a lot more selective when it comes to purchasing movies on blu ray, it's either special effects, outstanding cinemotography , animation or a great blu ray sale.[/QUOTE]

Good man, that's what I do, I've been giving them to my relatives too, better than trying to sell them at $2 a pop. I have over 400 DVD's.....it sucks, but I feel better giving them away.

[quote name='mission42']Wow, $7.04 & $5.84 that Amazon takes as a fee, that's crazy high![/QUOTE]

Yeah, but a lot more than I'd get for them on eBay, and just with these two sales probably more than I would have gotten for all 50 traded in to amazon LOL. I just sold T2 Ultimate Edition with the steel outer case for $24 something too, FLOL.

[quote name='mission42']Wow, $7.04 & $5.84 that Amazon takes as a fee, that's crazy high![/QUOTE]

Yes but, listing, final value, and paypal fees equal the same in the end on ebay.

[quote name='Snake2715']Yes but, listing, final value, and paypal fees equal the same in the end on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention, I doubt I could have gotten close to those selling prices on eBay.

bread's done
Back