Best way to clean a CD/DVD?

62t

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
Just got some used game that are at great shape minus a few finger print. What is the best way to clearn it? And what are some good cleaning kit?

Get a really soft paper towel(Bounty are the best in my experience. Don't use toilet paper or tissues they both have issues.), rip it in half, fold it up and place it over the top of a bottle of Rubbing Alcohol then splash some onto it. Clean from the inside outward. Don't press hard just pull it along it should bring anything dirty off. You can run the paper towel over lightly if you put on too much alcohol and it isn't drying fast because it will leave little spots if you let it sit.

Always work for me and I have never scratched a disc cleaning it this way.

Take it to GameCrazy, if you're an MVP member they do it for 1 dollar. Awesome machine and perfectly restored some of my worst scratched games that I bought used.

go to walmart they have a pack of 5 cleaning clothes and a bottle of spray for 1.99. i use them all the time and have never scratched a disc with them. the spray is pretty much alcohol and water. bottle and clothes will clean around 100 discs.

If I need to just clean dirt & fingerprints off a disc, I use warm water with liquid dish soap and hand wash the disc. Usually, I place the disc label-side down on the edge of the counter, lather up my hands (removes oils from fingertips so you don't leave fingerprints), and then pick the disc up and wash it. After, I blot off the water using a paper towel by folding the paper towel in half and laying the disc on top of it & pressing it down onto the towel. I do not rub the disc on the towel, I do not want to scratch it. Then, I place the disc label-side down on my desk and let it air dry for 5 to 10 minutes. Works great.

Buy some very soft CD cleaning cloths. They are like $6 for 3 little squares, but they are washable so they are worth it. Then you spray alcohol on the disc, take one of the cloths, and then very gently wipe from the center of the disc straight to the edge. Rotate the disc a little bit, then wipe it again, and keep doing that until you have wiped the whole disc.

[quote name='ketwyld']If I need to just clean dirt & fingerprints off a disc, I use warm water with liquid dish soap and hand wash the disc. Usually, I place the disc label-side down on the edge of the counter, lather up my hands (removes oils from fingertips so you don't leave fingerprints), and then pick the disc up and wash it. After, I blot off the water using a paper towel by folding the paper towel in half and laying the disc on top of it & pressing it down onto the towel. I do not rub the disc on the towel, I do not want to scratch it. Then, I place the disc label-side down on my desk and let it air dry for 5 to 10 minutes. Works great.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I do. But, I have water softner, so I use bottled water, sometimes the tap water will leave a residue.

I spritz on a water/Isopropyl alcohol mix and either a) put into my lil' spinny CD cleaner gizmo or b) gently wipe with an eyeglass cleaning cloth.

What I'm curious about is this: when I called Sony to get a waived fee repair for my PS2, the guy asked what I cleaned my games with. I told him. Then hold me not to clean my games this way, because the Alcohol will eat into the disc and strip the data. :shock: Apparently I'm supposed to use plain ol' dry CD wipes.

He was a nice guy and all, but he works for Sony. Should I really believe that?

bread's done
Back