Best way to connect to XBOX Live?

barenaked1

CAG Veteran
I want to get started with XBOX Live and I wanted to get some opinions on the best (and cost effective) way to get my 360 online? I'm not talking about the subscription itself, I'm talking about ethernet cable vs. wireless adapter, and wireless router vs. wired router. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wired is the way to go if you can swing it. I haven't tried wireless but I hear it works ok, but wired will definitely be a more reliable and faster connection.

I use the Linksys Gaming Adapter and it works great when it actually has a connection. For some reason, it drops the signal about once a week, anyone have the same problem?

I would (and do) go with wired. I just dont trust a wireless internet connection for online gaming, especially FPS games where a quick and stable connection is very important.

[quote name='chernggoh']I use the Linksys Gaming Adapter and it works great when it actually has a connection. For some reason, it drops the signal about once a week, anyone have the same problem?[/quote]
yeah, i have this problem too. What i do is i just unplug it for like 5 seconds and it's fine again. Kinda annoying but worth saving the 80 bucks from the official ms adapter, because wired is not an option for me

I use the MS wireless adapter and it worked great (still does, but ill explain why). When I had my own internet connection I could host 14 player matches on Vegas easy wireless with no issues at all, so I wouldnt say stability is in question. However, now that I dont have my own internet I just put my 360 by they window and "hello Live" Im done. Thats why i say worked great, cause its no longer as good as it can be since im dependent on a weak signal at times or not having an available network. But as long as your internet is working you shouldnt have any issues you wouldnt have going wired.

I went with making my computer wireless over my 360 because it was less expensive. Wireless router located in my entertainment center hooked up via wire to my 360 and Xbox. Wii and computer (and PSP and DS) wireless.

[quote name='elsnow77']yeah, i have this problem too. What i do is i just unplug it for like 5 seconds and it's fine again. Kinda annoying but worth saving the 80 bucks from the official ms adapter, because wired is not an option for me[/quote]

Ditto. For me though, it's only one of the boxes that loses the connection. It drops (blinking light) and so I unplug it, and then unplug the other one, replug it and then replug the blinking one and it works fine.

For the price, you can't go wrong with the Play Link. The drops are kind of annoying, but nothing that is intolerable.

bread's done
Back