Best way to convert a PDF to a fillable form

Chitown021

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I have an employment application that I need to fill out. It's an on-line application but it has to be submitted in paper form. My handwriting sucks so I want to type in the information before I print it out. What is the best way to convert a PDF document into something that I would be able to fill in the blanks?

Thanks!

There is a way to do it but you need some special Adobe program that cost money. I bet some CAG knows it, and maybe one may know a free alternative.

[quote name='help1']There is a way to do it but you need some special Adobe program that cost money. I bet some CAG knows it, and maybe one may know a free alternative.[/quote]

Yeah I was afraid of that. If anyone knows of a free alternative please let me know.

I wish this employer would just get on the ball and allow people to apply on-line like the rest of the world. Funny thing is you can apply for about half of the positions on-line.

[quote name='crystalklear64']use GIMP[/quote]

Please link to what your talking about because I ahve also wondered about this on forms too.

I've always wondered about this but have never seen a solution. It would be really nice if Adobe just added this functionality already to the program because without it it just seems dated. I was wondering about something like this when I was thinking of getting a tablet pc so I could write on it, but since PDFs can't be altered it doesn't really do me much good.

I decided to take a look for a freeware pdf editor just to see if I could find anything. There wasn't a single program that wasn't a trial version or a demo or what have you. I found plenty of pdf converters but that was all. I can't believe in this day and age there wouldn't be freeware to cover this.

There is one thing you can try. I'll just copy and paste what the guy on this other forum posted. [quote name='some guy']If you're willing to take an extra step, and have Microsoft Office and a PDF creator (I use CutePDF), there is a way to get around this issue. Use the print function to "print" to Microsoft Office Document Image Writer. There, you can add text where and how you want. Then save back to PDF and you're done.[/quote]
Maybe you can get someone with neater handwriting to fill it in for you?

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Foxit. It has a free PDF editor, but I do think it leaves a "Free Trial" watermark....[/quote]
It does have watermarks and the editor is rather lacking as it can't really fill into boxes or lines exactly.

Why is this even an issue?

If File size is less than 1mb
Step1: go here -> http://convert.neevia.com/index.aspx
Step2: open image in image editor of choice (MS Paint, Photoshop, GIMP)
Step3: use the text tool to fill in boxes

If File size is greater than 1mb
Step1: Use the Print Screen key to compile the PDF into a useable image format

[quote name='crystalklear64']Why is this even an issue?

Step3: use the text tool to fill in boxes[/quote]

I hope you never ask a single damn question on this forum.

[quote name='help1']I hope you never ask a single damn question on this forum.[/QUOTE]
Yea, cuz it would suck to have people give me a method that works without even having to download anything...

[quote name='crystalklear64']Why is this even an issue?

Step3: use the text tool to fill in boxes[/quote]

To some this up so that you understand why this isn't a solution....too complicated, too time consuming, there should be some option in adobe reader or otherwise to fill in boxes, etc., print screen cannot capture the entire document sometimes, again - pain to open an image editor for something where it should be easily done with a simply program or work around.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Yea, cuz it would suck to have people give me a method that works without even having to download anything...[/quote]
I'll still help you! :D;)But still, read my other post

It's nuts that there's no simple solution software or otherwise unless you buy an expensive software suite like the full Adobe package. Either that or "obtain" a copy of these software programs through other means ;)

I figured there would be a program that would at least convert the PDF to a word doc so I could at least throw in text boxes in the areas that I needed to.

Ok, I just opened some .pdf forms and it lets me fill in text boxes and even toggle check boxes without doing anything other than opening the .pdf

Alright, well I have to head to class, but try this:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

I was in the process of converting one into html which you could then open and edit, but it'll have to wait till I get back.

Seven Day Free Trial doesn't say anything about watermarks etc.:
http://www.investintech.com/prod_downloadsa2e.htm

[quote name='crystalklear64']Yea, cuz it would suck to have people give me a method that works without even having to download anything...[/quote]

No, its the way you carried yourself along here. "I'm the shit and I know everything, why can't you all figure this shit out? Get on my level!"

[quote name='help1']No, its the way you carried yourself along here. "I'm the shit and I know everything, why can't you all figure this shit out? Get on my level!"[/QUOTE]
Well, while I am "the shit", and my method would work for someone who is willing to go through the trouble of converting something online rather than ask someone who has better handwriting for help, I overestimated the amount of effort people are willing to put in to get something done how they want it.

So now I'm trying to find some solutions that even.... less motivated people can work with.

And why? Cuz I'm just that awesome, and modest too.
-----------------------
Ok, I'm been experimenting with the various free trial converter programs, and most of them suck. The one I suggested is decent if you select only the parts you want to input, however you want a match of the original form I assume and its not perfect.

So, what I have found works flawlessly is the following.

Step 1: Convert your .pdf into .html. This can be either by Adobe's site through the submission link if you have the URL of the .pdf, or you can directly email it to them. You can also see if it shows up in a google search, and show the .html version. Save it.

Step 2: Open .html file in WYSIWYG editor of choice. I recommend KompoZer if you don't have one.
http://kompozer.net/

Step 3: Find the "add a text field" option in whichever editor you choose and type in your stuff.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Ok, I just opened some .pdf forms and it lets me fill in text boxes and even toggle check boxes without doing anything other than opening the .pdf

Alright, well I have to head to class, but try this:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

I was in the process of converting one into html which you could then open and edit, but it'll have to wait till I get back.

Seven Day Free Trial doesn't say anything about watermarks etc.:
http://www.investintech.com/prod_downloadsa2e.htm[/quote]

I used the able2extract app. Only limitation on the free trial is that it will only convert 3 pages at a time. It converted the PDF to Word no problem! Thanks for the link. CAGs kick ass when it comes to helping each other out!

Why don't you just download a free trial of adobe acrobat 8 standard or professional ? Either includes a typewriter toolbar that allows you type straight into any .pdf document.

[quote name='mbstuff']Why don't you just download a free trial of adobe acrobat 8 standard or professional ? Either includes a typewriter toolbar that allows you type straight into any .pdf document.[/quote]

That's just crazy enough to work!

I downloaded the trial and it worked perfectly. I was able to run a tool in the program that read the PDF and inserted fillable boxes wherever it detected them on the form. I had to tweak them a bit but it worked.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

bread's done
Back