Best way to get cheap flights?

thepik241

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I was wondering if there is a way to get cheap flights.

Specifically I need to go from Charlotte, North Carolina to Beirut, Lebanon (for my cousin's wedding) and I need to go from Charlotte, NC to Hong Kong (for studying abroad).

Anyway I can get cheap flights?

Thanks

What you ask will not be easy. Going overseas can be ungodly expensive.

What I recommend is to find a site that will let you compare all of the prices from multiple airlines. A lot of people I know prefer kayak.com right now, but I've never used them.

Once you find a flight on an airline, go to that airlines site. Most airlines guarantee the best prices from their website. Usually, that's a few bucks, but sometimes you can get lucky and save more. At the least, going to the airline will save you the fee that Orbitz or one of the other sites charge.

Also, check for flights a lot. They will be different prices on different days, so keep looking. If you find a good deal, grab it. It might be gone in a few minutes. Always make sure that you stay over a Saturday night. I know that it really makes a difference for domestic flights, but I'm not sure about international.

TBW

what do you consider "cheap" for a rountdrip ticket to lebanon?

Are you studying abroad through any kind of program?

I have the same issue - going to spain for a wedding in June...THe prices are like...800 two ways, but I swear I saw them for 500 somewhere.

This probably won't help at all, but when you work for an airline you can fly standby nearly anywhere for peanuts ( roughly 50 bucks roundtrip domestic, or 150-200 international.) I've worked part time for continental for years and have been able to fly a ton. Also, you can try for the low cost airlines like southwest and direct air out of a hub city.

check out kayak.com the site looks ghetto but its actually pretty good. ive flown overseas for alot cheaper using that site.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']what do you consider "cheap" for a rountdrip ticket to lebanon?

Are you studying abroad through any kind of program?[/quote]

I honestly have no idea in regards to a price from the United States to Lebanon.

Most sites I have gone on do not fly to Beirut so I am searching the best I can.

I am studying abroad under a business program in the University of Hong Kong. Grants will pay for the tuition and I hope scholarships will pay for the rest but I want to get the best deals possible on anything I need/want (that is why I am on this site of course).

My family and I are planning to go to Beirut for the wedding in early August and hope to come back in mid August.

I plan to go to Hong Kong in late August, preferably around August 24th/25th/26th, and hope to come back in mid/late May 2010. Unfortunately since May 2010 is so far away I can not book a round trip for that far in advance.

[quote name='zionultra']This probably won't help at all, but when you work for an airline you can fly standby nearly anywhere for peanuts ( roughly 50 bucks roundtrip domestic, or 150-200 international.) I've worked part time for continental for years and have been able to fly a ton. Also, you can try for the low cost airlines like southwest and direct air out of a hub city.[/quote]

Wouldn't the chances of getting a standby flight, especially internationally, be almost zero? I honestly have no experience in this, mostly because it looks very risky. Do you think you could give some details on how it works and how to get a stand by flight?

Thank everyone for the responses, these are helping me out.

I'm not an expert on international travel, but for my most recent international trip, I found the best prices through vayama.com and AAA.com. I also like vayama.com's interface for figuring out trips, but that probably only makes a difference if you're doing weird multi-stop trips. I eventually booked through AAA.com cuz they were cheapest. (You don't have to be a AAA member to book through their website.) This is just for the international portion of the trip; for local (like going from here to a major international hub), I used airline websites.

I visit Asia every year or so to see family, but my mom books through her travel agent for those.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I'm not an expert on international travel, but for my most recent international trip, I found the best prices through vayama.com and AAA.com. I also like vayama.com's interface for figuring out trips, but that probably only makes a difference if you're doing weird multi-stop trips. I eventually booked through AAA.com cuz they were cheapest. (You don't have to be a AAA member to book through their website.) This is just for the international portion of the trip; for local (like going from here to a major international hub), I used airline websites.

I visit Asia every year or so to see family, but my mom books through her travel agent for those.[/quote]

These websites have more expensive flights than other websites I have gone too, is there a trick to get good deals on those sites?

Also does anyone else have any other advice and/or suggestions?

Going overseas, I've always found it cheaper to use travel agents that cater to people who are traveling back home to their countries because they can get you wholesale deals. I've yet to find a good website that can beat the price.

Use a travel agent. They have the best deals and offers. They have specific contracts with the airlines that none of the online travel sites can receive, plus they have wholesalers. One travel agency I've used several times and can recommend is Century Travel in Las Vegas, NV. Their number is 702-732-2400. They specialize in middle eastern travel. I should know, I've used them to fly to Israel and other parts in the region.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Use a travel agent. They have the best deals and offers. They have specific contracts with the airlines that none of the online travel sites can receive, plus they have wholesalers. One travel agency I've used several times and can recommend is Century Travel in Las Vegas, NV. Their number is 702-732-2400. They specialize in middle eastern travel. I should know, I've used them to fly to Israel and other parts in the region.[/quote]

Thanks for the travel agent, I called them and a woman there said that she was not able to find anything in regards to a round trip ticket from Charlotte to Beirut. Although I might use her if I want to go to Israel.

yea, I have heard its easier to get to some places in the middle east by going to like Egypt or Israel and then traveling from there.

The cheapest I have found so far is an estimated price of around $940 round trip from Charlotte to Hong Kong via Continental.

Does anyone here work for an airlines and is willing to sell one of their travel passes? :p

bread's done
Back