Best way to get rid of old Xbox 360 Console?

Seasick Pirate

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I have an older model 360 with a 120GB HDD and no HDMI port. With all these new bundles coming out, I'm considering upgrading my console to a newer one and want to know what my best options would be to get rid of my older one.

I'd assume eBay is going to be my best choice when it comes to selling/trading it in. Any where else I might want to check out first?

Gamestop might be ur best choice actually, currently gamestop is giving extra trade in bonus of $50. So if ur trading in the console (without hdd)+1 controller + power + av cable will get you $140 thats without any defects on ur xbox 360. Selling on ebay will just let ebay/paypal sucks up ur fees.

Edit: i think the offer ends on the 25th...trying to dig up the thread.

Edit: found it: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255178
$50 Hardware Bonus (Ends 4/25/2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameStop.com
Information isn't on GameStop.com yet, but if you trade in any 360, Wii or PS3 console you get $50 extra trade-in credit. There is no requirement of purchasing another system. Expect the hardware TIVs to drop a little bit.

Craigslist is pretty good for this. Lots of consoles on there, plus you get 100% of the cash with no middleman.

Ebay isn't a bad choice, just do some research on fees.

and... I'm out of idears.

Thanks for the GameStop advice. I would have thought of them last.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be doing this until later this summer like in June or July, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for the deal to pop up again.

I'm also going to call around to a few pawn shops next week, but don't expect to get much from them.

just to confirm, I sold my xbox 360 today at gamestop and got $140 in store credit. The employee told me if I want cash I would not be getting the extra $50.
Also I'm not sure about this but I think they do not buy the 360's with the wired controllers.

Do they take them that do not have that microsoft sticker on it? I opened mine to fix it. I'm selling it to a friend for 20 bucks with a new controller and face plate. They work at a video store so they can just get the games for free. I think they get 4 a month. Game Stop was the first place I was thinking but was not sure about the sticker issue. Also Amazon will take it but you have to have everything even the box I think. For mine I think it was 60 they were going to offer.

[quote name='sendme']Do they take them that do not have that microsoft sticker on it? I opened mine to fix it. I'm selling it to a friend for 20 bucks with a new controller and face plate. They work at a video store so they can just get the games for free. I think they get 4 a month. Game Stop was the first place I was thinking but was not sure about the sticker issue. Also Amazon will take it but you have to have everything even the box I think. For mine I think it was 60 they were going to offer.[/QUOTE]

You fixed an Xbox 360? :whistle2:#

Longer OP waits, the increasing chance of a random RROD happens, much less the price will continue to slowly fall.

I had a similar issue this is what I did.

-Sold 360 to gamestop w/o harddrive.......................... +$140
-Traded in old headset............................................... +$5.50
-Bought new 360 spring bundle on Amazon.................. -$299
-Took harddrive off new bundle and resold on amazon....+$85
-Sold ODST and Forza from bundle on amazon..............+$60

Final price to upgrade to an new elite with brand new controller and headset ~ $10!
Keep your old harddrive you dont need a new one and you get to keep your saves.

Also.... I saw on slick deals that dell has the spring bundle for $239 so you can actually make money with my method. Hurry up though because the gamestop deal is about to end.

That's a pretty nice deal, Easycheezy. One of my concerns was that none of the current bundled games really interested me beyond the price of the bundle.

How did you end up trading in just the console for $140 then. Different promo or got lucky? May have to think about doing this sooner than later then.

to get the 140 gamestop does not take the hard drive. They only need a controller, the core system, av cables, and the power brick.

If you do want to trade in the harddrive they only give you an additional $25. Which is why you should just keep it.

Keep the game you would still be making money if you bought it from dell. Here is the link:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1990670

[quote name='sendme']Do they take them that do not have that microsoft sticker on it? I opened mine to fix it. I'm selling it to a friend for 20 bucks with a new controller and face plate. They work at a video store so they can just get the games for free. I think they get 4 a month. Game Stop was the first place I was thinking but was not sure about the sticker issue. Also Amazon will take it but you have to have everything even the box I think. For mine I think it was 60 they were going to offer.[/QUOTE]

For me the only thing they checked was if mine was working and also they wrote down all the serial numbers and all that sh1t, so if you have been banned or something they will not buy. So if you haven't been banned I doubt they will even notice the sticker missing.
Easycheezy is right, the employee was very honest with me and said don't sell it with the harddrive, that I will get more money if I sold separate.

[quote name='Easycheezy']I had a similar issue this is what I did.

-Sold 360 to gamestop w/o harddrive.......................... +$140
-Traded in old headset............................................... +$5.50
-Bought new 360 spring bundle on Amazon.................. -$299
-Took harddrive off new bundle and resold on amazon....+$85
-Sold ODST and Forza from bundle on amazon..............+$60

Final price to upgrade to an new elite with brand new controller and headset ~ $10!
Keep your old harddrive you dont need a new one and you get to keep your saves.

Also.... I saw on slick deals that dell has the spring bundle for $239 so you can actually make money with my method. Hurry up though because the gamestop deal is about to end.[/QUOTE]

It probably wasn't only the console. Gamestop will only buy if you have a wireless controller and all the wires.

[quote name='drunkenxsouljah']It probably wasn't only the console. Gamestop will only buy if you have a wireless controller and all the wires.[/QUOTE]
No, they just give you 10 dollars less if you have a wired controller v a wireless one and they accept 3rd party controllers too.

[quote name='Ather']You could donate to a hospital. No money for you, but lots of happiness for the kids there.[/QUOTE]

Or there's also the games for soldiers charity.

[quote name='Birbo']What would Gamestop give for a RRoD 360? Know they used to take in broken systems.[/QUOTE]

Wrap it in a towel and nuke the mother. From what I've read/seen and done, it works and will get your system running again for a few days. All you'll need is just enough time to trade it into Gamestop. Mmm.

Personally I see only a little wrong with this, as all 360s traded into GS without Jasper chipsets are time-bombs.

Damn, I wish I would've saw this sooner. I didn't know an older 360 (with cables and controller) was worth $140. I upgraded to an Arcade (with HDMI), gave it my 120GB HDD, and now have the old console collecting dust in the closet. Maybe I'll wait and hope they run the offer again.

I am in the same situation. Im looking for cash I have the system too plus the following.
wired headset
chat pad

Games:
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Fallout 3
Grand Theft Auto 4
Halo 3
Mass Effect
PGR 3
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Prototype
Skate
NBA Live 07
Madden 07
All Pro Football 2k8

Where should I go to get the most and how much should I expect?

bread's done
Back