Best way to get some value from a broken DS lite?

rothgar24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey guys,

My 7-year old nephew's grandmother 'accidentally' dropped his Mario edition DS lite down the stairs while tipsy. It won't power up and you can hear loose parts inside the DS when you shake it.

Assuming I can't rely on the warranty or being able to fix it myself...

Do you guys have any ideas about the best way (if any) to get some value from the broken system?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mario Edition?

The one that just came out this past holiday season?

On one hand, OUCH. :(
On the other hand, good news! If it's the one I'm thinking, that means it's still in it's 1 year warranty. While they won't fix it for free, I believe Nintendo discounts the repair costs during the first year. I *think* it'd be like $50 to get it repaired, but I'd call to ask.

I think these are all the possibilities:
1. Get it repaired by Nintendo (either under warranty, or pay for it)
2. Somehow repair it yourself, or keep it around for spare parts. (require some know-how to pull off)
3. Sell it on ebay as broken. (There's a broken DS on there now for ~$50... Why people buy these, I have no idea)

[quote name='ohboy10451']sell it on ebay claiming that its new lol[/quote]

remind me never to trade you kthankx

[quote name='yayece']3. Sell it on ebay as broken. (There's a broken DS on there now for ~$50... Why people buy these, I have no idea)[/quote]
People that know how to fix DS Lite's, buy them for parts.

Thanks for the help. I was conflicted about letting him have the Mario version since he's 7 and it's awesome. Of course, now he wants a DSi.

I'll check out the warranty repair to see if I can get it fixed for cheap.

When this is resolved, be sure to protect your investment: Buy a slinky for sloshed grandma.

Tape it up and trade it in to GameStop... And/or maybe see if you can find someone who knows how to repair DS Lites. I think $50 is kind of steep for a "warranty" -- it should be free, but what else to expect for Nin-McGreedy-tendo. *sigh*

[quote name='Tigresa']Tape it up and trade it in to GameStop... And/or maybe see if you can find someone who knows how to repair DS Lites. I think $50 is kind of steep for a "warranty" -- it should be free, but what else to expect for Nin-McGreedy-tendo. *sigh*[/quote]

Yeah 50 bucks if steep when the customer broke it themselves:roll:. They have the warranty but not for damage. If they did this it would be abused to no end.

Yup - a warranty isn't designed to cover customer abuse. Could you imagine buying a new car, wrecking it, then bringing it back to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty?

The fact that Nintendo usually discounts their repair services in such a situation is rather nice of them, IMHO.

I'd just send it in.. even if not in warranty, it's not too bad. Last year I bought a broken one off of eBay assuming that nothing was wrong but the battery was dead and it turned out that the battery leaked on everything internally. Nintendo sent me a brand new DS and reprimanded me for using an unofficial screen protector, but it was only about $55.

[quote name='QiG']I'd just send it in.. even if not in warranty, it's not too bad. Last year I bought a broken one off of eBay assuming that nothing was wrong but the battery was dead and it turned out that the battery leaked on everything internally. Nintendo sent me a brand new DS and reprimanded me for using an unofficial screen protector, but it was only about $55.[/QUOTE]

Tsk Tsk, using a screen protector that doesnt have the nintendo shield of approval. How could you live with yourself?

Anyway, I know GS is running that deal for trading up for the DSi and I have heard of some managers taking some broken systems in saying that they can repair it or something. Might be worth a shot.

bread's done
Back