Best way to get the most out of my Best Buy warranty? (iPad)

Wiiman741

CAG Veteran
I bought an iPad 2 last year around May and paid for the full warranty to include replacement in case of accidental damages(I'm a very clumsy person).

Fast forward to now and the announcement for the new iPad can't be far away. My current iPad has a few dings in it from being dropped, but otherwise it is working fine. I am probably going to get it replaced for a new one before the warrant ends. Although I remember hearing that if you got the warranty you can get the full price of the iPad used towards another one or something. So if I paid $599 for it, I can get that $599 towards the purchase of the new iPad.

Is there any truth to this? Anyone have any experience or knowledge of Best Buy warranties?

you could always ask bestbuy, or it should say on ur warranty; it really doesnt matter wat we say unless Bestbuy is actually going thru with that policy

Generally Best Buy will first try to repair the Ipad. I know I had to wait 7 days for one of my dvd recorders before they deemed it defective, because they sent it out to a 3rd party for repair. I would not be surprised if they do the same with the Ipad 2. Nevertheless, check to read the fine print in the pamphlet that they gave you. It'll give all the details of their process.

If you're able to somehow run a magnet thru the Ipad so it's DOA, u'll definitely qualify for the upgrade.

HOWEVER, do be advised. Last year my local BB didn't receive enough Ipad 2's in stock and were taking a $100 deposit from those that were pre-ordering it. As more stock came in, (those who pre-ordered) were notified their order is ready. Supposedly if you were the first to pre-order, you would get the first item off the lot, and so on.

Note: You could also have opted to their trade in program, where you can trade in your ipad 2 and get a discount for the ipad 3.

Okay found some more info:
There are two types of replacement plans:
The first is the Product Replacement Plan. This offered for products such as the iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, phones, gaming systems, etc. What this does is that if your product doesn't work like new you can return it to the store and receive full store credit back or a brand new one off the shelf. Additionally you may use it to upgrade to a better model by returning the item and paying the difference.

The other is the Product Service Plan, which covers items such as iPods, microwaves, TVs, printers, etc. This means that if it isn't working correctly, we will try to fix it. If it continues to be a problem then you may get a new one, but only of that same product.

I had ADH for my 2008 macbook and when the cd/dvd drive stopped working, I was told that the repairs made have to equal or be more than the cost of the machine. Apple parts are proprietary, so it costs more for bestbuy to replace them, I was able to get a new macbook, after the drive, and case and some other stuff was replaced. They tried to make me get the same model (updated) which would have been 150 less than i paid, but i convinced them i would buy another adh if they applied the full amount i paid toward a macbook pro.
So really replacement, and how much you get depend on the manager and the employees who are on staff.

Thanks for the insight everyone. Ill check out the details of the warranty and go down to the Best Buy to see what I can get out of it.

[quote name='Rexall']
Okay found some more info:
There are two types of replacement plans:
The first is the Product Replacement Plan. This offered for products such as the iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, phones, gaming systems, etc. What this does is that if your product doesn't work like new you can return it to the store and receive full store credit back or a brand new one off the shelf. Additionally you may use it to upgrade to a better model by returning the item and paying the difference.

The other is the Product Service Plan, which covers items such as iPods, microwaves, TVs, printers, etc. This means that if it isn't working correctly, we will try to fix it. If it continues to be a problem then you may get a new one, but only of that same product.[/QUOTE]
Unless they've changed it back in the last couple of years, they no longer offer the Product Replacement Plan. They're all called Geek Squad Black Tie Product Service Plans, if I remember correctly.

Basically what has to happen is you take the item in store and they then ship it out to a repair facility. They have to attempt THREE repairs on it before they will even consider a replacement or giving you a gc equal to the amount paid for the item anymore.

You were given receipt paperwork with your extended warranty, OP. It would tell you what they'd do with the "repairs" of your iPad 2.

bread's done
Back