Best way to hook up a PS2 to a monitor (VGA/HDMI ports)

humidore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I've been dusting off the PS2 to finish up Yakuza (so I can start Yakuza 2, thanks CAG for letting me know bout the amazon $20 sale)...and I've been dabbling in Godhand, and now Everblue 2...and I might as well chink away at that PS2 backlog I left behind when I got my 360/gaming PC last year!

But I guess not using my old RCA TV (bought in 2002) for so long caused the bottom right corner to have weird coloration. Or something...So what would be the easiest way to play my PS2 on my monitor? I currently play my 360 on it through the HDMI port, but it also has VGA (which I use for my PC obviously).

I looked on monoprice.com, but couldn't figure out what combo of adapters/cables I'd need. Any ideas? Thanks!

I owned the game bridge and didnt notice any lagging problem. It is also pretty good for video capturing.

No dice at Fry's. Though the dude probably couldn't figure out how to search their inventory correctly. I almost felt bad asking him, the way he was sweatin as he typed. But then I remembered: it's his job!...

Ah well, I'll figure this out

I have a similar setup, like a half-assed htpc, my monitor doubles as a tv because i bought a ATSC tuner for it and have it that connected through vga, might upgrade to dvi, but then i lose my hdmi, becuase i have a dvi to hdmi cable so i can play xbox 360 in 720p. Anyway, you can use something like this with ps2 component cables,http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=4631&seq=1&format=2. idk if the ps2 outputs through Pr,Pb,Y. if doesnt the colors will be messed up. Thats what happened with my vga to component cables, which you can also use for the ps2 i hear since you can adjust the output method.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']I have a similar setup, like a half-assed htpc, my monitor doubles as a tv because i bought a ATSC tuner for it and have it that connected through vga, might upgrade to dvi, but then i lose my hdmi, becuase i have a dvi to hdmi cable so i can play xbox 360 in 720p. Anyway, you can use something like this with ps2 component cables,http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=4631&seq=1&format=2. idk if the ps2 outputs through Pr,Pb,Y. if doesnt the colors will be messed up. Thats what happened with my vga to component cables, which you can also use for the ps2 i hear since you can adjust the output method.[/QUOTE]

I can't be 100% sure, but I know the PS2 has a setting for how it outputs component video. I just can't remember if one of the options was Pr, Pb, Y. It looks awful familiar, though. However, does the PS2 have a way to output digital audio? Doesn't that box you linked to, LilPaintBaller, require S/PDIF Digital Coax or Optical Toslink Audio? Or am I missing something?

I'm looking for a similar solution, although in my case my monitor only has a single VGA input. I would like to be able to hook up a PS2, Wii, Gamecube and N64, not necessarily all at the same time, although if they could all be hooked up at the same time that would be ideal. I'd be willing to eventually invest in a new monitor so if there's something that would do this that required DVI or HDMI, that could work. My problem there is in finding a good one that doesn't cost too much and isn't too big. I don't want a huge monitor - I just don't have the space for it. I don't want anything much bigger then my current 17" 4:3 LCD, though I would want a 16:9 display ideally. That size really limits my choices unfortunately, if there is anything that aspect ratio in that size at all.

[quote name='62t']http://www.amazon.com/Gamebridge-AVC-1400-USB-Cnct-Xbox/dp/B000DLBAFU

they cost a bit now but they used to cost like $5 at frys
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Only prob is Fry's are hard to trust, they didn't instill high levels of confidences into me when I bought stuff from them in the past.

Saint

Well i picked up an Easycap on ebay for ~$15 shipped. I'll post how it goes when it gets in. I'm trying to keep my expectations low...

[quote name='TheSaint11']Only prob is Fry's are hard to trust, they didn't instill high levels of confidences into me when I bought stuff from them in the past.

Saint[/QUOTE]

Well it only cost like $5 so I am not going to worry about it.

Well the EasyCap solved my problem. Got a $5 S-video cable off ebay and am now startin up Persona 3 FES. Take a note people, this one ended happily ever after.

bread's done
Back