Best way to sell large lot of games?

CAGiversary!
I'll spare you the 'blah, blah, blah, life changes, blah' background part of this and get right to the question.

Also, wasn't sure which forum to throw this into, so yeah.

As it stands, my game collection spans 16 systems from the NES to current generation (17 if we count the 32x separately), with close to 700 games. I made an objective list the other day of things I wanted to keep, and that was clocking in right around 150 games. So, for those that are bad at math, that leaves me with around 550 games that I'm very seriously thinking of selling.

Problem is... that's a huge amount of games. There are obviously a few that I know are definitely worth selling on their own because they fetch a premium, but there's a huge portion of them that I know aren't worth more than $2-3 at most.

So, basically, I'm looking for suggestions as to the best way to get rid of that many games without consuming a huge amount of time. Obviously, I'd like to maximize profit here, but I'm also more than willing to just parcel out the fairly worthless stuff for cents on the dollar. Any help appreciated.

System centric lots.
Throw a system and all its games/accessories up for auction, selling those of high value individually.

That would balance speed and profit IMO.

You might want to set up an incentive-based sales system, like if someone buys a $20 game they get a $3 game for free or something.

[quote name='Aegith']System centric lots.
Throw a system and all its games/accessories up for auction, selling those of high value individually.

That would balance speed and profit IMO.[/QUOTE]

I'd been thinking about that, but to further it... would I be better off listing that Ebay, or, like the guy below you said, on the board here?

I've become increasingly leery of Ebay recently in general, and the idea of selling a lot at once is something I'm vaguely concerned about.

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

See if there are any independent game stores around you. It is what I do for my CDs and DVDs. Sure, they may not take a lot for them, but if they give you anything for a few of them it is worth your while.

[quote name='Porksta']See if there are any independent game stores around you. It is what I do for my CDs and DVDs. Sure, they may not take a lot for them, but if they give you anything for a few of them it is worth your while.[/QUOTE]

This is a good point, as for any game that has condition issues or has a trade-in value close to what you'd get from selling--it's a lot easier to trade-in twenty hard to sell games at Gamestop or wherever and use the credit to purchase a game or two that are easy flips :bouncy:

I admit, I was thinking about local game stores... in particular, two right around where I grew up that were always pretty good to me. I need to check their policy on bulk purchasing, though, since I'm about an hour and a half away, so I wouldn't want to make too many trips.

I figured they weren't a bad option for a lot of stuff, mainly the things that wouldn't go for that much on their own, nor would add much value to a bundle. Even if they took part of the lot of my hands for $1 a pop, I can't think I'd do much better anywhere else.

Yeah dude! Don't you wanna sell on CAG? A lowball would make it go fast and not for that low either cause we know how much things are usually worth. ;) Don't be scared that it's called a "lowball" though. It'll go great!

[quote name='sonicsam']Yeah dude! Don't you wanna sell on CAG? A lowball would make it go fast and not for that low either cause we know how much things are usually worth. ;) Don't be scared that it's called a "lowball" though. It'll go great![/QUOTE]

Well, if you do decide to do a lowball, do it to clean inventory, not to get market prices for your stuff.

If you have a fleamarket or indie game store nearby I would highly recommend checking them out. I just experienced a situation where I got more money for my stuff that I took to the fleamarket and offered it to various sellers than I would have gotten on ebay especially after fees and shipping.

Some indie stores may not take everything at once, simply because they won't have enough money on hand to pay you for all the stuff, same with the fleamarket, I would definitely call ahead if you plan on getting rid of that much stuff and maybe set up a date and time for you to come in with the stuff.

You also want to make sure the place you take it to gives a decent cash value, some places like Gamestop reduce the amount they give you for the games if you take cash over store credit. Some stores might only give store credit, I do not know how it works with the particular stores you are dealing with.

The fleamarket prices are obviously a regional thing in my case (and probably not so good for buying things if they are giving me more than what I paid for my stuff originally), but if you have one nearby it might be worth at least checking out.

You probably want to sell off the most expensive and rare games on ebay first, you will get the most money for them that way even after shipping and fees, unless you can find a buyer that will come close locally.

I've actually just started an ebay video game store and I would be interested in buying a large grouping of games if you're looking to sell. Send me a PM when you figure out which games you'd like to sell and how much you'd like to get for them.

It would be easiest to sell in lots but you'd make more money selling them individually if you choose eBay. Of course, listing items has become painfully slow on eBay thanks to their flashier design. Their free listings incentive is a joke since they more than make up for it with their final value fees.

I'd suggest you list the games on CAG. I wanted to get rid of 30 games a few years back and just listed them on CAG for what I would have made on eBay less fees (which were pretty marginal then) and then cut another 5-10% off that... sold nearly half the games within two days.

Wanted to pop back in here and thank everyone for the input. That gave me a ton of ideas, and it seems that the answer is actually that I'm looking at different avenues for getting rid of different things. I'm still in the thinking process with all of this, but I'll try and bump this thread if and when I decide to start liquidating so everyone knows.

Thanks again, guys, I truly, truly appreciate the help.

i too would be interested in what you have for sale. you would probably do best with a straight sale or lowball here and you dont have to worry about sketchy ebay

bread's done
Back