Best wifi router for cheap?

Flowfaster

CAGiversary!
In need of a semi decent wireless router just hate going to say best buy and paying 60-70 bucks. If anyone know of a good cheap router or any deals please share.

Thanks

Asus routers are amazing for multiple computers and bittorrenting while gaming. The only router so far that has made it pass a year of heavy usage. You can get them for less than $50 on ebay. I'm also very fond of Belkin routers as well but none of them made it pass the year mark.

Price has little to do quality with routers. I have tried the $100 linksys and dlink N+ router sets in 2008 and both were plague with drop signal and horrible packet prioritizing. Avoid Linksys specifically unless you feel tech savy enough to flash the firmware on it. Linksys and Cisco make amazing hardware but couldn't write a decent program if their company depended on it.

[quote name='raarar']If your not willing to spend the money your just going to get a piece of crap.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I recently looked into getting a new router and from all my resarch the Linksys E2000 was the best for your money. Amazon has it for $67 (currently out of stock)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B20F54/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Ask yourself if you want to spend $35 on crap that will last you 6 months or $60-70 on something that will last you a long time

[quote name='henry00x']I agree. I recently looked into getting a new router and from all my resarch the Linksys E2000 was the best for your money. Amazon has it for $67 (currently out of stock)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B20F54/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Ask yourself if you want to spend $35 on crap that will last you 6 months or $60-70 on something that will last you a long time[/QUOTE]

I've purchased two routers in the past, one was a

It's nothing special, but I have a Netgear W614 or something like that. It was $30 when we got it in like 2007 or 2008, and works fine still.

Price doesn't really relate to performance in routers. My sister originally had one of the expensive Belkin routers, but it kept losing the connection from our cable modem. My neighbors got the same model, and it couldn't stay up for more than about 10-15 minutes.

Just keep checking places like Amazon and Newegg for a decent router at a good price. You're right though that there isn't any reason to go to Best Buy and buy a basic one for $60-70.

I'm happy with my DLink 615. I had a previous DLink that I was happy with as well but when I moved a computer down to the basement on the other side of the house, the G signal was no longer strong enough (had it for ~5 years) so I needed to go N.

I had a Buffalo first and didnt like it too much. I also tried replacing the Dlink with a Belkin (150N) but it didnt play well with Xbox Live (NAT=strict) so it was essentially worthless to me. I've only had the 615 for two months though so take that for what it's worth. But I set it up in 10 min (being familiar with the Dlink menus) and everything just works.

It was 40 bucks at microcenter.

[quote name='PopCulture']Just go through your provider. Mine gave me a good discount on one and even split it up on my bill.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

There's no way your provider gave you a good deal on your router. They are looking to con people into buying them since they probably charge 2-3x what the value of the router actually is.

My ISP charges $150 (no lie) to set up a wireless network in your house. The router they give you is similar to the one I have now, except it's the newer version, which is worth about $40.

bread's done
Back