Best Wii shooter?

elwood731

CAGiversary!
And by shooter, I mean in the sense of Time Crisis and such, not Thunder Force. Sorry old school nerds. :)

Anyway, got a Wii for the wife for Christmas and she loves these games in the arcade. So what's good and what should be avoided? Thanks for your help.

Second vote for Ghost Squad. As long as you can laugh at rather than be annoyed by the terrible anti-terrorist presentation, it is definitely the most fun for one player alone or up to four players. It's also pretty fun for one player using two guns as both player one and two.

House of the Dead 2 & 3 is good, but much more difficult and certainly not as much a party game. We actually really enjoy the shooting game in Wii Play, Link's Crossbow Training and the WiiWare game Wild West Guns a lot.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles is a well-made game, but doesn't really have the arcade feel it sounds like she's looking for. Same goes for the 832 various WWII games that are out. Most of the hunting games are either poorly made or very slow-paced.

I think Target Terror is the only shooting game I haven't played. It's supposed to be bad, but intentionally so and very much an arcade experience. I might try it tonight and if I get a chance I will let you know.

Also, make sure to get her a Nyko Perfect Shot - it really makes it feel like the arcade.

House of the dead is very similar to the arcade variants...

So Wii Skiier hit it on the head thats your choices.

Wii play has that duck hunt type skeet shooter... and it comes with the needed second wii mote...

House of the Dead 2 & 3 gets my endorsement.
2 games in one, plus added features and you can probably get it for $19.99 now or less considering all the holiday deals going on.

I do recommend getting a pairt of the Nyko perfect shots with it. Yes, 2 of them so you can go John Woo/Chow Yun Fat on your tv screen. It's almost as if the Nykos were meant for this game, though you may experience some fatigue if you try the trials mode. The wii zapper with the right touch can certain out fire the Nyko because there's no spring in the trigger.

House of the Dead 2+3 and Ghost Squad...since like.. um..they are the only arcade shooters on the Wii.. :lol:

But they are great, so :applause:

Medal of Honor Heroes 2 has an on-rails mode. It's an awesome game.

If you can find a used copy at Gamestop, Link's Crossbow Training is only 3 bucks. The game is really fun, simple, and a wholly competent gun game. Not to be missed, for the price of a burger.

And while it won't be out till next year, House of the Dead: Overkill looks kicks ass. Pick that up for her birthday next year or something.

Good recommendation was made to pick up a couple Perfect Shots for the wii remote(think they were $14.99 at Amazon last I saw) so you don't have to fire the remote like a star trek phaser.
All the good on-rails shooter games were recommended.
I'm a PC gamer used to a mouse and keyboard for my FPS action so I have difficulty moving with the nunchuck while aiming/shooting with the remote. Therefore after trying Metroid Prime I switched over to the on-rails shooters once they started becoming available.

I've played Ghost Squad which I found short with only 3 campaigns but due to unlockables and multiple routes it increases the replayability.

House of the Dead 2 & 3 I've played a little of so far and it retains all of its arcade cheesiness but it was kind of annoying to have to play and fail several times just to increase my health and lives for subsequent play-throughs.

Links Crossbow Training I picked up in trade since I didn't want the zapper. While its fun, worth the cheap price you can get it for used and offers control variety through the different minigames, the multiplayer is essentially single player as I'm sure they designed the game for players that would be sharing the bundled zapper.

Hopefully my wife will pick up Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for me for Christmas.

Lastly, one game that hasn't been mentioned yet is Raving Rabbids. I have the first game in the series and the on-rails shooter levels(think there are about 10) are a blast. You get to shoot bunnies with plungers, a couple power ups, blow a few environmental items up, shoot the musical item on the level to get them all to stop and dance, and finally take on the boss at the end. There's beach, western, graveyard, sci-fi, etc. settings and each is pretty damn fun. If playing solo, the nunchuck can be used to grab/hold/throw the rabbids, where in multiplayer I think you just both get to shoot.
While it is a lot of fun, the downside is that you need to play though the single player mode to unlock the shooter levels to be played separately(the shooter games are the finales to each tier in single player mode). While most of the minigames are funny and enjoyable it would have been nice to be able to play all of the minigames on demand up front. Also I found this game to require you to be closer to the screen then some of my other games but maybe the range is just an issue because I have to keep my sensor on top of the TV out of my daughter's reach.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Medal of Honor Heroes 2 has an on-rails mode. It's an awesome game.

If you can find a used copy at Gamestop, Link's Crossbow Training is only 3 bucks. The game is really fun, simple, and a wholly competent gun game. Not to be missed, for the price of a burger.

And while it won't be out till next year, House of the Dead: Overkill looks kicks ass. Pick that up for her birthday next year or something.[/QUOTE]
i'd second this. Also consider Call of duty World at War.

This is starting to get way out of the realm of "shooter", but this got me thinking about Elebits. I still put Elebits in the Wii now and then because it makes me feel...things. Like feelings or something. Anyway, it is not an "arcade" shooter because it requires movement controls, but it is not like much else in that there are not real enemies for the most part and you spend most of your time trying to make the world brighter. Kind of an Okami-like feel in that you are actually actively making the world of the game a better place while being fun and low-pressure at the same time. If the wife likes killing terrorists and Nazis though (and who doesn't?), this may not be the game for her.

bread's done
Back