Best wired router that doesn't slow connection?

von551

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,
I just got a D-Link EBR-2310 wired router for my XBL/internet to be available at same time. I've noticed a drop in connection speed though. My streaming netflix hardly reaches four bars of video quality anymore and sometimes my web pages take a long time to load and/or time out. It's annoying and I'm wondering if there's a better router I can buy that'll keep both connections at maximum speed. I'm running a cable modem @ 100Mbps with Cox. Thanks to all you techies ahead of time with any advice... :D

D-link was bought out by Cisco sometime ago, which isn’t to say that it’s a bad brand, but in my experience, I’ve never really found D-Link Products to be reliable. I myself have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G with Boost for nearly 2 years now. The boost doesn’t really do anything special really. But what it does do is that maximizes the thru put to only the used ports on the router, basically shutting down the open ports on the back of the router but still leaving a cushion so it doesn’t build up a lot of data congestion. So I get the security of a hard wired router as it 4 ports in the back and I can still connect my wireless devices as I float around the house. Plus it made connect my Wireless easy as pie as well. Not to mention I’ve always found configuring in Linksys routers a lot better than most other devices. I also picked it up at Best Buy for about 60 bucks at the time, so it wasn’t so hard on the wallet.

I don’t know what network tests you’ve done, but if you haven’t already, check your cables to and from the router to the other devices. Sometimes a small bend in a wire can make all the difference. But I wouldn’t imagine to be the case. Good luck with that.

[quote name='FXHMantis']D-link was bought out by Cisco sometime ago, which isn’t to say that it’s a bad brand, but in my experience, I’ve never really found D-Link Products to be reliable. I myself have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G with Boost for nearly 2 years now. The boost doesn’t really do anything special really. But what it does do is that maximizes the thru put to only the used ports on the router, basically shutting down the open ports on the back of the router but still leaving a cushion so it doesn’t build up a lot of data congestion. So I get the security of a hard wired router as it 4 ports in the back and I can still connect my wireless devices as I float around the house. Plus it made connect my Wireless easy as pie as well. Not to mention I’ve always found configuring in Linksys routers a lot better than most other devices. I also picked it up at Best Buy for about 60 bucks at the time, so it wasn’t so hard on the wallet.

I don’t know what network tests you’ve done, but if you haven’t already, check your cables to and from the router to the other devices. Sometimes a small bend in a wire can make all the difference. But I wouldn’t imagine to be the case. Good luck with that.[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of Linksys. Cisco bought Linksys in 2003. D-Link is its own company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Cisco_Systems

If all you need is a wired router, try the D-Link DGL-4100. I've been using the wireless version (DGL-4300) for more than 2 years and have never had a problem using my computers and consoles online.

[quote name='saturnotaku']If all you need is a wired router, try the D-Link DGL-4100. I've been using the wireless version (DGL-4300) for more than 2 years and have never had a problem using my computers and consoles online.[/quote]

cool thanks. i'll keep that one in mind.

bread's done
Back