Bestbuy dotd 2012-07-18 Superman Anthology blu ray 1978-2006 $70

Damn I want this. I'd buy this if I had any Best Buy credit left from the 100% trade in bonus. I just bought Superman II the Rickard Donner cut bluray yesterday for $4.99. I already have Superman 1 on bluray. I'm not crazy about Superman 3, 4, and 5. Are the extras worth it? Opinions?

Edit: For cheap asses, you might be able to find Superman 1 and 2 with $5 Dark Knight Rises movie cash. They are $4.99 a piece with the upgrade and save coupons. So if you are planning on seeing The Dark Knight Rises, they are sort "free" minus your time, you effort, and your DVD trade in.

I want this, but I'm holding out for under $50. This one's potentially a good candidate for a Black Friday deal this year...

I'd say the extras are worth it. You get a ton of stuff like early live action Superman serials, Superman themed Looney Tunes cartoons, etc. I ordered it back when it was like $54 bucks on Amazon though, so I don't know that $70 is that great of a deal for it. I'd probably hold off and keep my eyes on it.

[quote name='irighti']amazon uk. 30 bucks is tempting.

http://dealnews.com/Complete-Superman-Collection-1976-to-2006-on-Blu-ray-UK-for-30-5-s-h/595758.html[/QUOTE]

Apparently, while the discs are region-free, a lot of the special features (including the cartoons) aren't in HD. If they're encoded in PAL (probably, though I didn't find confirmation one way or the other in my quick search), then you would only be able to play them if your player does PAL-to-NTSC conversion. The movies should play fine, though, if you don't care about the features.

Seems steep unless you're big on special features (or for some reason are a huge fan of S3/S4). This is considering you can get the pack w/ S1, S2 (RD cut) and Returns from Target for $15. Kinda hard imo to justify that other stuff being worth an extra $55.

[quote name='arcane93']Apparently, while the discs are region-free, a lot of the special features (including the cartoons) aren't in HD. If they're encoded in PAL (probably, though I didn't find confirmation one way or the other in my quick search), then you would only be able to play them if your player does PAL-to-NTSC conversion. The movies should play fine, though, if you don't care about the features.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that is always the trade off with the typically awesome box set deals on the uk amazon site. this is one set where I just want the films, and am not really interested in the extras.

[quote name='irighti']yeah, that is always the trade off with the typically awesome box set deals on the uk amazon site. this is one set where I just want the films, and am not really interested in the extras.[/QUOTE]

Really? With the cartoons, the 1951 George Reeves movie, etc., this is one of the more interesting sets out there as far as extras go.

I have seen most of the material in one form or the other. its just not a dealbreaker for me. I have the dvd boxset, the release where they added an additional 8 minutes to the first film.

the extras offered with this set are not worth the value being asked for in my opinion. 30 for just the films seems like a worthy price point for me.

just my take.

[quote name='arcane93']Apparently, while the discs are region-free, a lot of the special features (including the cartoons) aren't in HD. If they're encoded in PAL (probably, though I didn't find confirmation one way or the other in my quick search), then you would only be able to play them if your player does PAL-to-NTSC conversion. The movies should play fine, though, if you don't care about the features.[/QUOTE]

Everything should play fine as Warner never encodes extras as PAL

[quote name='irighti']the extras offered with this set are not worth the value being asked for in my opinion. 30 for just the films seems like a worthy price point for me. [/QUOTE]

Which is why I'm holding out for the US set to hit that price. ;) Though obviously it matters a lot less if you have the DVD set and have at least most of the extras on it already.

Though ssjmichael has a point, but I'm still hesitant to order without confirmation. If you do get the UK set, could you check it and confirm one way or the other whether the extras are playable here?

I get that. each person has a pricepoint for what they want. sure I just put my order in. I will post if it all plays without issue.

just wondering. is there a website that can confirm which sets play without issue. I would pull the trigger on more of these deals if I were to know all of it could be accessed.

[quote name='irighti']just wondering. is there a website that can confirm which sets play without issue. I would pull the trigger on more of these deals if I were to know all of it could be accessed.[/QUOTE]

The reviews on blu-ray.com usually have data about region coding, and the review authors will often say whether there are any issues that will cause playback problems. That's where I go to check first.

Generally, if it's region-free and in HD, it will play, with a few exceptions: 1. when the menus, intro studio logo, etc. are in PAL, and you can't get past them; 2. when it's encoded at 50Hz, usually only a problem with British TV programs.

bread's done
Back