BestBuy Enforcing Removal of GCU If You Go Past 3 Game Limit

Yea, I violated the 3 game limit so I have no issue with GCU being deleted, but stealing my $15 is wrong.

I would contact Best Buy's customer service, but navigating through that mess is not on my to do list on a Saturday morning.
Right here in black and white.

We may not issue you any reward certificate(s) if we terminate your account because of conduct that we determine, in our discretion, violates these Terms or any applicable law, involves fraud or misuse of Program membership, or is harmful to our interests or another customer. We also reserve the right to deny future membership if we deem your conduct to violate these Terms.
Our failure to insist upon or enforce your strict compliance with these Terms will not constitute a waiver of any of our rights.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/my-best-buy-program-rules/pcmcat311100050001.c?id=pcmcat311100050001

G.

Resellers

Resellers are excluded from the program and from receiving points. If we mistakenly issue points for resale purchases, we reserve the right to deduct those improperly awarded points and/or to invalidate improperly issued reward certificates as well as to terminate such accounts.
If you are found, in our sole discretion, to be a reseller, your account may be terminated in accordance with Section 7 below.

Also here as well.

We may, in our discretion, change these Terms, BestBuy.com Conditions of Use or Privacy Policy, or any aspect of Program membership. If any change to these terms is found invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that change is severable and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining changes or conditions. YOUR CONTINUED MEMBERSHIP AFTER WE CHANGE THESE TERMS CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THE CHANGES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ANY CHANGES, YOU MUST CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of terms of service...did this thread finally violate CAG's TOS? About freakin' time!!!

EDIT: Nope...there it is on the front page of the deals section again dammit!
You know the best way to keep people from posting in what you consider an off-topic thread? Bump it by making a post bitching about it. That'll show 'em.
Actually, I should probably report you for posting an off-topic post in an off-topic thread...

Must be a sad life to hate on Best Buy so much that you have to frequent their forums.
I see now. It makes sense. You're a BB shill. I was wondering what prompted that immature comment aimed at me a few pages ago. Now it makes sense. You're getting paid by Best Buy to defend them.

Either that or... your mental retardation has finally turned you into a drooling monkey and you have no idea what you're typing anymore. Can you tell me which one it is?

If Best Buy just told thousands of people to fuck themselves regarding GCU, what makes you think they would care about hiring someone to defend them?

Speaking of terms of service...did this thread finally violate CAG's TOS? About freakin' time!!!

EDIT: Nope...there it is on the front page of the deals section again dammit!
CheapyD: "What's that? Sorry, I couldn't hear you, I'm too busy getting HIGH AS fuck!"

This doesn't really stop people from buying alot of stuff and reselling it.

Sure it's not as good of a deal or as many deals.

You think owlboy for the switch and ps4 got bought up by people that really wanted it.

I can't help but compare what some people were doing (buying $100K of video games to resell or whatever) and what most people were doing (buying games on release, maybe an extra copy once in a great while) to LL Bean return policy. 

LL Bean had the best return policy. You could return anything at any time you wanted, no matter what. For most, this built brand loyalty because when that $400 jacket failed you, say, 6 years down the line, you were taken care of. And people sincerely appreciate that. However, people would go looking for LL Bean boots at garage sales or thrift stores, return them simply because they could. 

LL Bean recently scrapped its policy. When I look at BB and GCU, I look at the program to get people to shop more at their store. "You like video games? Well maybe you like other electronics like TVs, Sonos Sound Systems or Macbooks!" And that totally applied to me. If you ask me, BB has had the single greatest turnaround of any legacy retailer. They were on the ropes about five years ago. Amazon was pummeling them. Their stock was about $14. But then they did GCU. Price matched Amazon. Free two day shipping. An excellent rewards program. And they totally took care of their customers (on more than one occasion BB has been so cool, even giving me stuff for free when I want to return it). 

GCU totally helped BB turn itself around. Today, they are going for about $72 a share. What legacy retailer has made that kind of turnaround? None. It's a shame they're getting rid of something (GCU) that helped them turnaround their business so well. I wish they made it available for Elite members, because $60 is way, way too much for a new game. 

Any who. 

GCU totally helped BB turn itself around. Today, they are going for about $72 a share. What legacy retailer has made that kind of turnaround? None. It's a shame they're getting rid of something (GCU) that helped them turnaround their business so well. I wish they made it available for Elite members, because $60 is way, way too much for a new game.
You can look up articles on what is credited with regard to Best Buy's turnaround. I don't think you'll find GCU mentioned in any of them.

You can look up articles on what is credited with regard to Best Buy's turnaround. I don't think you'll find GCU mentioned in any of them.
You won't find articles because BB itself is very reclusive when it comes to discussing its brand strategy. It rarely shares what works and doesn't work for it like other retailers.

But me and a lot of other people in this thread are living proof that GCU propelled us to look at what else the company had to offer.

Sorry for those that don't care, but for those that do: my preorder of PS4 slim blue for days of play was not canceled even though my account was closed. Says ready for pickup through guest checkout

To my knowledge BestBuy didn't enforce this policy very well in the past. In my experience anyways.

Point is, now that BestBuy is removing GCU it looks like they plan on enforcing it now to cull the herd.

So if you do violate the 3 game rule, don't violate it anymore.

Luckily I have another GCU account.

so fuck BestBuy

Forgot to mention, the way BestBuy wipes your account is quite unique. You'd think they would just disable your GCU and go on their merry way. No sir.

*Your points are wiped.

*Your order history is wiped.

*You have pre-orders for games? Ha! Too-bad, they won't show up and you won't be able to cancel. (I think.) Without calling and wasting more of your time.

*You were Elite Plus? HA! Not anymore. Essentially you just make a new account.

*You had warranties for appliances, tv, etc.? Not anymore you don't.
You won't find articles because BB itself is very reclusive when it comes to discussing its brand strategy. It rarely shares what works and doesn't work for it like other retailers.

But me and a lot of other people in this thread are living proof that GCU propelled us to look at what else the company had to offer.
Do either of you or anyone else happen to know whether "Complete" editions count toward the 3-game limit? For example, I have purchased Horizon Zero Dawn before in the last 12 months, but was looking to buy the Complete Edition now. Would getting it count as going beyond the limit? The link I checked for GCU FAQ's seems to not include GCU details anymore so I'm not sure. Thanks for any help & info.

Edit:

So I just found info via this link: https://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gamers-Club/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club-Unlocked/m-p/953565#M23168

"Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?

A: Yes. Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limit."

So do you think it would be correct to assume the "Complete" edition would be equivalent to a GOTY version? Release dates of each version were almost full 10 months apart (2/28/17 vs. 12/5/17). Thanks

Do either of you or anyone else happen to know whether "Complete" editions count toward the 3-game limit? For example, I have purchased Horizon Zero Dawn before in the last 12 months, but was looking to buy the Complete Edition now. Would getting it count as going beyond the limit? The link I checked for GCU FAQ's seems to not include GCU details anymore so I'm not sure. Thanks for any help & info.

Edit:

So I just found info via this link: https://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gamers-Club/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club-Unlocked/m-p/953565#M23168

"Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?

A: Yes. Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limit."

So do you think it would be correct to assume the "Complete" edition would be equivalent to a GOTY version? Release dates of each version were almost full 10 months apart (2/28/17 vs. 12/5/17). Thanks
They're separate items - Complete Edition is not considered the same as the vanilla release.

I just picked up HZD Complete Edition yesterday and it was so nice seeing a $20 game drop to $16... 

It's gonna suck not having GCU anymore.:whistle2:

People who exploited the program got exactly what they deserved. No more, no less.
They deserved to have their GCU axed, not their warranties and purchase history deleted. They went overboard. Punishment did not fit the crime IMO. To be fair, Best Buy also had the responsibility of enforcing their policy. Seems like they got beat and in response took it out on the exploiters.

I don't see why a BB account couldn't keep track of how many copies of each game one buys...then if they buy the fourth while logged in with GCU, it stops the purchase. Anyone wanna shed some light on why BB couldn't easily enforce their own rule?

They deserved to have their GCU axed, not their warranties and purchase history deleted. They went overboard. Punishment did not fit the crime IMO. To be fair, Best Buy also had the responsibility of enforcing their policy. Seems like they got beat and in response took it out on the exploiters.

I don't see why a BB account couldn't keep track of how many copies of each game one buys...then if they buy the fourth while logged in with GCU, it stops the purchase. Anyone wanna shed some light on why BB couldn't easily enforce their own rule?
That’s what happens when you link your accounts and then violate the terms - reward points, history, etc, all property of Best Buy.. These morons crying about their accounts just need to contact customer service and get their money back on unused warranties.

No one lost a warranty, they just couldn't see it through their My BB account. They can just as easily call into the store and give other information to get the warranty status.

Purchase history is tied to the offending account - If you don't follow the terms, account gets axed.

They did easily enforce their own rule - They said people who went over would lose their account, and then they did a wave ban removing accounts. This isn't a new thing, either, they've been doing it in waves for years.

Even grocery stores do it better than BB. When there is limit on a sale item, when it's over the limit, the register system automatically charge the additional at regular price, simple as that.

But BB as more tech related company can't even do that?

By charging 4th or more copies at regular price, It will simply remove all confusion and any accidental violation. And you don't need to worry about if deluxe, limited, goty, complete, crazy, insane... all different editions count or not. Or if I have canceled an order before if that also counts...

There is no way for a customer to say I want buy it as regular price, the GCU automatic applies even over the limit. The only way they can avoid it is to create a new account.

They're separate items - Complete Edition is not considered the same as the vanilla release.

Thanks for the reply. May I if you know this from experience of buying this game and the original? I actually contacted Best Buy more than once prior to your post and was given contradicting answers. Hard to know who is right and who is just not well-trained or familiar with video games.

man some of the ppl here are real stupid "looting" best buy...im not a reseller but tbh they were paying them money...its not like the guy took 50 copies and only paid for one..you are free to do whatever the hell you want with your stuff...so what they were smarter than you..they got an item for say 20 and sold it for 30 and made profit...who cares...if you were lazy and didnt want to do it or it wasnt your thing because you "have a job" ...well thats his job...and he got good deals so he can make profit...i highly doubt 1 guy ruined gcu ..im sure this program was ending regardless because it was used as a temporary solution to raise capital kinda like a large scale groupon that carried out over a period of a few years ...didn't work out..they didn't need it anymore etc...and thats clear because they weren't cancelling account for ppl who "abused" the program up until now...when they could have easily done it...they didn't "not notice" ... huge corporations don't "not notice".. they needed the money and they let it go on ..and then they were done..used excuses to close accounts etc...big companies like this don't make decisions over night they plan way ahead ..its not like "ok thats it we had enough close the GCU program"...i'm not defending anyone but some ppl on this thread are really stupid or really really are annoyed GCU ended, but don't take it out on all the little guys i'm almost certain it had nothing to do with ...otherwise GCU would have been terminated for them just like best buy has TRS to ban frequent "serial returners" and it would have gone on for everyone else...this isn't the only change they made they also close best buy mobile shops across the whole country as of may 31 you wont find one anymore. Companies do stuff and make changes that benefit them, they are not your dad giving out hand outs, they do what they need to make max profits..and thats the bottom line.

I will admit to breaking this rule twice, although one of the times seems to be OK as far as their rules go (which I thought were limit of 3 of a game, per platform, per version, in a calendar year).

Scenario 1:

-Bought 4 copies of Madden when it came out (3 PS4, 1 XB1) for my friends - GCU was applied

-Bought another copy of Madden 18 for PS4 during Black Friday (w/o GCU applied)

Scenario 2:

-Bought 3 copies of Mario & Rabbids when they had their promotion to get a 2nd Switch game 1/2 off I believe. Same thing as Scenario 1, except we all bought different games for the 50% off one - I believe this was last fall - GCU was applied

-Bought a copy of Mario & Rabbids in May 2018 as I had sold my original copy & wanted to play again, figured I was safe since it was a different year

Either way, I'm definitely going to be on the phone with them since I had ~$350 in rewards certificates, a couple warranties, a bunch of preorders and Elite Plus through end of 2018. Every other purchase of mine was a 1-2 copies total between platforms & versions (which again, I believe they changed that being an issue years ago). 

EDIT: I did see a couple pages back people mentioned that the terms say 12-month period, although I could have sworn at one point it said calendar year. Actually went through my order history (with emails) and those 2 scenarios are the only "violations". So worst case, I will try contacting Best Buy tomorrow to see if they'd like me to return the 4th copy of Mario & Rabbids. Definitely have to figure out how to square up the warranty stuff. Thank goodness I never delete Best Buy emails (even if they email me 10 times a week).

I will admit to breaking this rule twice, although one of the times seems to be OK as far as their rules go (which I thought were limit of 3 of a game, per platform, per version, in a calendar year).

Scenario 1:

-Bought 4 copies of Madden when it came out (3 PS4, 1 XB1) for my friends - GCU was applied

Scenario 2:

-Bought 3 copies of Mario & Rabbids when they had their promotion to get a 2nd Switch game 1/2 off I believe. Same thing as Scenario 1, except we all bought different games for the 50% off one - I believe this was last fall - GCU was applied

-Bought a copy of Mario & Rabbids in May 2018 as I had sold my original copy & wanted to play again, figured I was safe since it was a different year

Either way, I'm definitely going to be on the phone with them since I had ~$350 in rewards certificates, a couple warranties, a bunch of preorders and Elite Plus through end of 2018. Every other purchase of mine was a 1-2 copies total between platforms & versions (which again, I believe they changed that being an issue years ago).

EDIT: I did see a couple pages back people mentioned that the terms say 12-month period, although I could have sworn at one point it said calendar year. Actually went through my order history (with emails) and those 2 scenarios are the only "violations". So worst case, I will try contacting Best Buy tomorrow to see if they'd like me to return the 4th copy of Mario & Rabbids. Definitely have to figure out how to square up the warranty stuff. Thank goodness I never delete Best Buy emails (even if they email me 10 times a week).
scenario one wouldnt have had an issue because its 3 per console..so you had only 3 for ps4 and 1 for xb1..scenario 2 got you in trouble..they wont care they'll cancel your account and take your points what are you going to do :p you cant do a charge back...and likely warranty is stil valid just make sure you have the receipt!

edit - nvm misread yep then thats it 2 issues ..did they cancel your account then?

man some of the ppl here are real stupid "looting" best buy...im not a reseller but tbh they were paying them money...its not like the guy took 50 copies and only paid for one..you are free to do whatever the hell you want with your stuff...so what they were smarter than you..they got an item for say 20 and sold it for 30 and made profit...who cares...if you were lazy and didnt want to do it or it wasnt your thing because you "have a job" ...well thats his job...and he got good deals so he can make profit...i highly doubt 1 guy ruined gcu ..im sure this program was ending regardless because it was used as a temporary solution to raise capital kinda like a large scale groupon that carried out over a period of a few years ...didn't work out..they didn't need it anymore etc...and thats clear because they weren't cancelling account for ppl who "abused" the program up until now...when they could have easily done it...they didn't "not notice" ... huge corporations don't "not notice".. they needed the money and they let it go on ..and then they were done..used excuses to close accounts etc...big companies like this don't make decisions over night they plan way ahead ..its not like "ok thats it we had enough close the GCU program"...i'm not defending anyone but some ppl on this thread are really stupid or really really are annoyed GCU ended, but don't take it out on all the little guys i'm almost certain it had nothing to do with ...otherwise GCU would have been terminated for them just like best buy has TRS to ban frequent "serial returners" and it would have gone on for everyone else...this isn't the only change they made they also close best buy mobile shops across the whole country as of may 31 you wont find one anymore. Companies do stuff and make changes that benefit them, they are not your dad giving out hand outs, they do what they need to make max profits..and thats the bottom line.
I can't believe I made my way through this wall of text.

1 - They did cancel accounts in the past. This isn't a new thing, people are just being more vocal about it because they can't re-enroll. Even the "little guy" store owner admitted his accounts were cancelled every few months for abusing the system.

2 - This would absolutely contribute to closing GCU. It's not a scenario of just one store doing this, but more likely a LOT of smaller stores and resellers buying multiple copies at 20% off and either selling them in their own store or drop shipping. I'm sure at 3 copies per console per year Best Buy had run the numbers and found that the risk was worth the reward if it drove revenue in other areas. But then you have enough accounts that are going well beyond, buying 10/20/etc copies and reselling them - Best Buy isn't making money off of those copies. It's not driving initial revenue. Yeah, they got paid $30 for the GCU, but they missed out on hundreds in profits.

I think it's kind of funny that you say companies do what they can to max profits, but also say that they wouldn't close GCU due to the kind of abuse of resellers and other stores using the program. That abuse directly impacts profits. So, how do you maximize those profits and recoup the loss? Cut the program that was being abused. Done.

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

GCU is the only program I've seen on their site that doesn't say a "calendar year", so yeah. I mean you can contact them, but I don't see you getting back hundreds in reward points when the terms are pretty clear that if you violate the terms those points are forfeit. From what others were saying, your preorders would still be valid as well through the order number, and your warranties are likely untouched as well (they would be able to validate with other info, not just your MBB login).

So really all you've lost is GCU and the points. Which, I mean, yeah that sucks, but hey, rules are rules.

Uh oh, I didn't realize there was a three game limit with GCU.  If I happened to preorder 4 copies of one game, do you think I could cancel one and be fine?  Or is it too late at this point?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I can't believe I made my way through this wall of text.

1 - They did cancel accounts in the past. This isn't a new thing, people are just being more vocal about it because they can't re-enroll. Even the "little guy" store owner admitted his accounts were cancelled every few months for abusing the system.

2 - This would absolutely contribute to closing GCU. It's not a scenario of just one store doing this, but more likely a LOT of smaller stores and resellers buying multiple copies at 20% off and either selling them in their own store or drop shipping. I'm sure at 3 copies per console per year Best Buy had run the numbers and found that the risk was worth the reward if it drove revenue in other areas. But then you have enough accounts that are going well beyond, buying 10/20/etc copies and reselling them - Best Buy isn't making money off of those copies. It's not driving initial revenue. Yeah, they got paid $30 for the GCU, but they missed out on hundreds in profits.

I think it's kind of funny that you say companies do what they can to max profits, but also say that they wouldn't close GCU due to the kind of abuse of resellers and other stores using the program. That abuse directly impacts profits. So, how do you maximize those profits and recoup the loss? Cut the program that was being abused. Done.

I’m agreeing with you .. I’m saying though that they had a plan all along it’s not like they had enough and just cut it .. also I am kinda annoyed of all the commenting on what ppl do with their products even if they bought within the limits that’s all I meant to say .. but this program was going to be closed sooner or later anyways

Even grocery stores do it better than BB.

But BB as more tech related company can't even do that?
Totally. This is the main reason I find it ridiculous that so many here are disproportionately putting so much blame on the customer. Take professional sports like the MLB for instance: if the Yankees lose, it's probably because of a couple players and you can point at them. If they lose over and over and over again? Time to stop blaming the players and start blaming the rule makers (manager, owner, coaches). It's just common sense. You can only blame humans and human nature for so long. There are enablers that need punishing too.

im not a reseller but tbh they were paying them money...its not like the guy took 50 copies and only paid for one
I used to think this many many years ago but I've since learned. Put yourself in the reailer's shoes - do you want all the games only going to one customer merely because you're getting money for it? In the short term, great. Long term, you're ignoring what makes GCU important to BB - it gets people in their stores and on their site. BB's ultimate goal isn't to make money off games, but get a high volume of customers in hopes a percentage of them return to buy other things. In this sense, a few whales are not good for longterm growth, especially if they're in it for their own profit, implying they are very unlikely to buy other things from BB and be considered a valued customer.

Maybe now I'll actually be able to get some CE's before the resellers snatch them all up.

It stinks that we can't renew (especially for people that were/are just about to expire :( ) but at least there are silver linings.

Even tho my account was wipe. I got an email about a release date change for an amiibo I ordered with gcu.

I wonder if it will ship in a few weeks and if the discount will stay.

Even tho my account was wipe. I got an email about a release date change for an amiibo I ordered with gcu.

I wonder if it will ship in a few weeks and if the discount will stay.
Sounds like it is still in the system and my guess is if it is, the discount will stay. Can you check the status of the order by the Order # in the email - maybe by calling the customer service line?

Ya I can look up all my orders. The release date one that changed was an amiibo and now the order is in my account.

No point in canceling the order I want the Amiibo lol

And this thread is exactly what white privilege and white entitlement looks like. Just like the colonizers thought that they were just "entitled" to the native's land and could literally do whatever they want without any consequences, we have a bunch of straight, white males who broke the GCU TOS and now are complaining about it.

No, a store does not have to do business with you. No, you aren't entitled to continue using their service if you break their TOS. No, you aren't the victim here. White fragility at its finest.

And this thread is exactly what white privilege and white entitlement looks like. Just like the colonizers thought that they were just "entitled" to the native's land and could literally do whatever they want without any consequences, we have a bunch of straight, white males who broke the GCU TOS and now are complaining about it.

No, a store does not have to do business with you. No, you aren't entitled to continue using their service if you break their TOS. No, you aren't the victim here. White fragility at its finest.
Did you just presume their gender? (and race, for that matter)

This is a prime example of entitlement and privilege, yes. But you really shouldn't assume Faceless Internet Stranger #7 is White and Male just because it fits your narrative.

Edit - Also sexual orientation. For all you know this could be the most fabulous, flamboyant gay trans black woman in history.

Mods carried out yet another hit. Deleted everything from that post except the post itself. That poor bastard has no username or trading information.

bread's done
Back