Bestbuy Now selling ChronoMax Plus

MusePrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (99%)
Still havent opened mine.

Debating on either keeping the Cronus and using my DS4 on X1...or just saying F it and using $200 I just got for free to buy the X1 Elite -.-

Still havent opened mine.

Debating on either keeping the Cronus and using my DS4 on X1...or just saying F it and using $200 I just got for free to buy the X1 Elite -.-
two completely different beast. id wait for the elite price drop. but and heres the big but that people dont get you can not use your mircophone plug in your controller with cronus without an additional mod which is 15.

two completely different beast. id wait for the elite price drop. but and heres the big but that people dont get you can not use your mircophone plug in your controller with cronus without an additional mod which is 15.
I have an Astro A40 and Mixamp

Would it work?

You go Mixamp USB and Optical to Xbox One. Astro headset to Mixamp. 3.5mm jack from Mixamp to Controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Astro A40 and Mixamp

Would it work?

You go Mixamp USB and Optical to Xbox One. Astro headset to Mixamp. 3.5mm jack from Mixamp to Controller.
USB should be fine. The headsets that plug into the controllers are what are effected.

These things are banned from FGC tournaments. That's all I need to know to avoid these things.
Well of course their banned they use scripts I couldn't see any tournament really using them. For casual play though it's not that bad. Most people probably wouldn't use them anyway except just using their favorite control I would think.

I hope these don't catch on. I play FPS games on consoles to avoid having to sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard. Using a mouse is a big advantage in shooters and will suck if these become widespread. If I want to use a mouse and keyboard I'll go play CS on my PC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljTcF6cnJkk

The earlier videos are dated that didn't show the hardware so I didn't link them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r0lwWmlRxU

Mouse and keyboards adapter been out since mid 08-early 09.
Chances are if you didn't notice them before then you won't notice people using them now.

But I can see people being worried now that they're in a retail chain.

Nice to see Best Buy carry these.  Agree that this isn't exactly a "deal," but since so many people have had questions about these I thought I'd jump into the conversation.  Not only do I own a couple of these, but I've done some development with them and I'm an expert in USB hardware.  Apologies for the long post.

TL;DR:  I think these devices are really cool, and I've personally gotten more than my money's worth out of them.

I discovered CronusMax a few months ago while looking for fight sticks for XBox One.  I bought two of these devices and used one to play Mortal Kombat X with my XBox 360 MadCatz fight stick.  Using it this way--for simple controller translation--is very simple and is pretty much plug-and-play.

The way CronusMax works is: you plug the CronusMax directly into your console, then plug a wired controller into the CronusMax.  The wired controller contains an ID, which the CronusMax borrows.  Once the CronusMax has the ID you can remove the wired controller and replace it with just about any other controller.  There are some limitations on the wired controller you use to authenticate the CronusMax.  I use a wired Microsoft controller for my 360 and a wireless Microsoft controller w/ play & charge kit for the One.  3rd party controllers may or may not work, and instruments like guitars do not.  Just keep in mind you may need to pick up another controller to authenticate the CronusMax.  It doesn't have to work--a used worn-out controller from GameStop would be fine.

The CronusMax itself is a mini computer that sits inbetween the controller and your console.  It watches for inputs on the controller side, translates them, and then forwards the translated messages on to the console.  At its most simple it does a direct translation (like PS-triangle button to XBox-Y button), but it is also possible to trigger pretty elaborate inputs to the console from simple controller inputs.  For example, I wrote a program that loops through a series of movements to make Bejeweled 2 play Endless Mode for me.  It's not terribly efficient, but it will run forever and will eventually complete Endless Mode while I'm sleeping, working, etc.  As a test of how far I could take that concept, I wrote a few scripts for MK9 that I was able to use to automate complete matches, including fatalities for any character, using two controllers and two CronusMax devices.

There is a limitation with PS4 due to how that system authenticates controller.  As others have mentioned, every 10 minutes or so there will be a brief interrupt while the CronusMax reauthenticates.  I don't have a PS4, so I can't tell you how annoying that is (or isn't).

For keyboard and mouse I believe you need to have the CronusMax connected to a computer while you use the keyboard and mouse on your console.  I haven't tried this because I'm a dinosaur who still uses a desktop that lives in a different room than my consoles.  Apparently this can work quite well, but I believe it requires unique tuning per game.  There seems to be decent support for major titles, and I didn't get the impression that it's terribly difficult to tune things yourself.

I don't know about tournament legality, but CronusMax supposedly offers a "tournament mode" that disables advanced scripts and uses only the built-in simple translation.  This mode should let you use the controller of your choice on any system without allowing macros or other unfair advantages.

I haven't heard of CronusMax (or competitor devices) burning out USB ports, but it sounds unlikely to me.  The USB controller (i.e., the console) supplies power to the USB network and controls all traffic.  It seems more likely that a poorly defined Cronus device would burn itself out if it didn't handle the power supplied to it.  If the device had a short, I believe the USB controller (again, the console) would detect that and shut down the port (kind of like a circuit breaker).  Not saying it couldn't happen, but I haven't come across any complaints about that, and I haven't had issues with my CronusMax devices.

Re: CronusMax vs. TitanOne, there is drama and it is available online if you would like to search for it.  My understanding of it is that the device inventor had a disagreement with the company he partnered with to launch the original device (Cronus), and he left to found his own company (Titan).  He claims the device is his intellectual property.  Cronus claims he was in breach of contract when he left and that the company has the rights to produce the device.  Until there's a court case that decides who is right, do whatever research settles your personal feelings on the matter and pick a side, support both, or support neither.  For the record, I am not affiliated with either company, but I discovered Cronus first and bought my devices before learning of the Titan.  I've published some of my code with the Cronus site since I own their devices.

Apart from the drama, I believe the Titan supports one or two (inconsequential) programming commands that the Cronus does not.  What this means is that anything written for Cronus ought to run fine on a Titan, but it is possible that some programs written for Titan will not run on Cronus.  As the devices stand today, they offer nearly identical features; I couldn't recommend one over the other based on what they do.

That ought to about cover it.  I'll try to stop by again to answer any other questions.  I typically only check in here once a week or so.

I hope these don't catch on. I play FPS games on consoles to avoid having to sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard. Using a mouse is a big advantage in shooters and will suck if these become widespread. If I want to use a mouse and keyboard I'll go play CS on my PC.
Because heaven forbid that someone who can't play FPSs and third person games on a console with a controller but can on a PC due to some sort accident or disability use such a device. I'm all for anything that allows people who other wise can't play games to do so

I'm gonna try and return mine tomorrow...but I bought it with a $5 "we miss you" credit, $5 mover coupon, and the rest in gift cards. If they give me the 2x $5 things back I'll return it, if not I'll keep it it guess.

I'm gonna try and return mine tomorrow...but I bought it with a $5 "we miss you" credit, $5 mover coupon, and the rest in gift cards. If they give me the 2x $5 things back I'll return it, if not I'll keep it it guess.
Hey, did you try using your DS4 on Xbox One with the Chronomax?

Wondering how well it works, thanks.

Hey, did you try using your DS4 on Xbox One with the Chronomax?

Wondering how well it works, thanks.
Naw, I ordered the Elite Controller instead -.-

Not sure if I'm going to keep the Cronus or not. Wish the PS4 didnt cause a disconnect every 10min or I might keep it to use the Elite Controller on if I like it more than the DS4 (doubtful)

How easy is it to set up a turbo function with this thing? I'd honestly just get it to grind out the soul calibur 5 trophy I need for the platinum.._.

How easy is it to set up a turbo function with this thing? I'd honestly just get it to grind out the soul calibur 5 trophy I need for the platinum.._.
If you have any programming experience at all it's super-easy. If you don't, there are some sample programs available on the controllermax (Cronus) site that implement turbo functions. If you dig around I think there are some that allow you to vary the speed of the turbo, which may help depending on the game.

Either way you'll need to connect the Cronus to a computer via USB, download (or write) a script for the turbo, then upload the program to the Cronus via its PC software. Pretty straightforward.

EDIT: here's a link to a simple turbo script so you can see what the code looks like. You'd just download this to the Cronus software, place it in an unallocated "slot" (you can program up to 8 different functions into one Cronus device, then select them by choosing the "slot" to activate while it's plugged into your console), then program & go:

http://controllermax.com/gpclib/?s=1216

Sorry I know this is a dumb question but can I use this to use my Xbox one controller on my ps4?

Sorry for being slow.
Yes, but you will experience a disconnect/reconnect (verification) 1x every 10 minutes. Apparently the verification only takes 100ms so it's hardly noticeable.

I remember reading somewhere that you needed a pc running an app to help authenticate certain controllers on the PS4. Is this true, only needed for an older version, or am I just thinking another device? Debating if I should get this to use my old fight pads on my ps4 or just buy the Hori Ps3/Ps4 fight pad gsb just got :/ in.

I remember reading somewhere that you needed a pc running an app to help authenticate certain controllers on the PS4. Is this true, only needed for an older version, or am I just thinking another device? Debating if I should get this to use my old fight pads on my ps4 or just buy the Hori Ps3/Ps4 fight pad gsb just got :/ in.
I think you are thinking of an older device and/or another company's device.

On another note, people worried about mouse and keyboard support on a console need to relax. Having this device doesn't instantly turn Halo 5 into a Counterstrike experience. The controls for mouse and keyboard don't magically control like they do on a PC. A lot of work goes into porting controls for a PC version of a former console exclusive. A player using the Cronus for mouse and keyboard support on the console isn't going to have a huge advantage over someone using a controller.

Because heaven forbid that someone who can't play FPSs and third person games on a console with a controller but can on a PC due to some sort accident or disability use such a device. I'm all for anything that allows people who other wise can't play games to do so
This guy gets it:)

bread's done
Back