Beyond Good & Evil 2

highwaypatrolman

CAGiversary!
Saw this and thought it was interesting:

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2007/11/november-first-things.html

For anyone who doesn't know, SurferGirl is a game industry insider, and her blog regularly covers topics ranging from canceled games to industry politics. I read another game industry blog called 'GameSetWatch', and since SurferGirl is a reliable source of 'dirt' GameSetWatch occasionally mentions some of her revelations. As you can see, on her post for November 1st she reveals that "Ubisoft Montpelier is working on Beyond Good & Evil 2". I understand if people are skeptical, but, since I've followed her blog in the past, I feel fairly confident that this is the real deal. Also, here's the GameSetWatch story:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/11/gamesetroundup_surfer_girls_la.php

Anyway, I was pretty excited, so I just wanted to share. Can't wait...

Update: On November 10th Surfer Girl updated her blog claiming "BG&E2 is coming is PS360Wii". I'll take that to mean that the game is being developed for 360, PS3 and Wii. I know a lot of people wanted this to be a Wii game, but personally, I'm glad to hear its coming to the Xbox360, as well.

Link: http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2007/11/for-those-who-dont-read-comments-vol-ii.html

[quote name='munch']I'd buy it. BG&E, minus the final boss battle, was a beautiful and amazing game.[/quote]I fucking hated that final boss battle. :bomb:

[quote name='Wlogan31']The first is still one of my favorite games from the last generation. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Same here!!

supposed insiders on gaf confirm this whenever the topic comes up. still, I'll believe it when I see it.

I thought the first game was slightly overrated (i.e., I think people gave it that extra little 'boost' because it was ambitious and a game that was invariably going to be overlooked by the average consumer). If this is true, it's a bizarre move, as I didn't see any aspect of the first game that would suddenly resonate with the mainstream, HD graphics, bloom lighting, or whatnot.

As suggested above, making it a Wii-first title (and doing concurrent ports to the PS2/PSP) at a budget price might work, but $50-$60 for a next-gen sequel...shyeah, right!

Boo to the final boss (when my little bro visits he likes to show off by beating thinks I am stuck on, he beat this boss for me).

Otherwise, it was my kind of game, only mildly challenging, fun story, decent graphics. If the publishers put it out at $30 they will have a hit, if they release at Christmas for $60 it will flop.

T

I'd buy it at the right price. I thought the original was a lot better than other games that try to do the same thing. It was pretty Zelda-like with a sci-fi twist. The final boss was hard and it took me probably an hour or two to beat, but it was manageable.

[quote name='akilshohen']why does this pop up as often as the rumor of Skies of Arcadia 2?[/quote]

Cause fanboys want a sequel, but publishers realize how poorly both BG&E & SOA sold. Let's face it, most of us would wait till it dropped to $20 if either got a sequel.

Skies of Arcadia did pretty well for itself...

BG&E is in my mind linked with Psychonauts. Games that get all this acclaim that when I play is just not all that intriguing. I dunno. Wouldn't hurt to see a sequel though.

[quote name='daroga']Skies of Arcadia did pretty well for itself...

BG&E is in my mind linked with Psychonauts. Games that get all this acclaim that when I play is just not all that intriguing. I dunno. Wouldn't hurt to see a sequel though.[/quote]

Please please please never compare Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil again...

BG&E = one of my favorite games from last generation
Psychonauts = one of my LEAST favorite games EVER

I understand the comparison you made and its 100% accurate (high acclaim, low sales), but you didn't HAVE to say it and leave me with a sour taste in my mouth ;)

[quote name='Wlogan31']Please please please never compare Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil again...

I understand the comparison you made and its 100% accurate (high acclaim, low sales), but you didn't HAVE to say it and leave me with a sour taste in my mouth ;)[/QUOTE]

BGE vs. Psychonauts. now this, I haven't seen.

*grabs popcorn*

civil war, I'm with BGE etc. etc.

[quote name='Apossum']supposed insiders on gaf confirm this whenever the topic comes up. still, I'll believe it when I see it.[/QUOTE]

Word. Wasn't BG&E intended to be a trilogy. So if BG&E 2 does come out how long until a 3rd game in the series :)

If I am not mistaken, BG&E came out close to when Ubisoft first released Prince of Persia, which I thought really hurt BG&E.

I loved BG&E and with the way the game ended I want a sequel already.

[quote name='daroga']Skies of Arcadia did pretty well for itself...

BG&E is in my mind linked with Psychonauts. Games that get all this acclaim that when I play is just not all that intriguing. I dunno. Wouldn't hurt to see a sequel though.[/QUOTE]

Linking those games together is a crime. Psychonauts had great artistic and creative level design with a horrible last level. BG&E I still don't get why people obsess about, it wasn't good. The combat was a Zelda knock off that was even more simplistic, the hovercraft controls were crap, the camera during the 'stealth' sections was annoying, and the story just relied on TV soap opera like twists that were used too often. It sold poorly for a reason.

BG&E is one of the most overrated games of the last *two* gens.

It's certainly not a crap game - but it doesn't live up to the hype people heap on it. Not it any way shape or form.

Psychonauts was frustrating in parts - but at least had a real sense of humour.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']BG&E is one of the most overrated games of the last *two* gens.

It's certainly not a crap game - but it doesn't live up to the hype people heap on it. Not it any way shape or form.

Psychonauts was frustrating in parts - but at least had a real sense of humour.[/quote]

Oh look.

A post that's completely wrong.

This'll be great if true but I don't see it happening.

As others have said, I'll believe it when I see it. Plenty of people have dropped hints that this game was coming but nothing that I can believe.

I never understood why BG&E was considered to be so great. It felt like a Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank style game (a horribly overrated subgenre in my opinion), but a little bit better than those games. Plus the atmosphere was obnoxiously inconsistent, it went from goofy to serious over and over again. Still, a damn good game; good combat, some fun missions, a decent story (again, it went from wonderful to terrible and back again), and I had a lot of fun with the photo sidequest.

Psychonauts, on the other hand, was not only consistent, it had a unique, strange, and beautiful atmosphere, something BG&E lacked (sure, it was an interesting setting, but the design was subpar and the dystopian society wasn't explored enough). Great sense of humor, interesting themes, amazing level design, great story, and no annoying sidekicks. And the gameplay is damn good too, although the combat was not on par with BG&E. Still, it's clearly the winner.

Of course, I never finished either game, but being the poster child for ADD I rarely finish a game at all. I got bored with BG&E's soap opera story twists, and Psychonauts' last level was so beyond my skills as a gamer it makes me depressed just thinking about it.

However, it should be noted that I'd totally buy a sequel to BG&E. I just think Psychonauts is a phenomenal game completely worthy of all the praise it gets and a great example for games as art, and BG&E is just the best of a not-that-great group of action-adventure games. Or to put it another way, I'd kill for a Psychonauts sequel, but I'd only injure for a new BG&E.

[quote name='tankexmortis']I never understood why BG&E was considered to be so great. It felt like a Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank style game (a horribly overrated subgenre in my opinion), but a little bit better than those games. Plus the atmosphere was obnoxiously inconsistent, it went from goofy to serious over and over again. Still, a damn good game; good combat, some fun missions, a decent story (again, it went from wonderful to terrible and back again), and I had a lot of fun with the photo sidequest.

Psychonauts, on the other hand, was not only consistent, it had a unique, strange, and beautiful atmosphere, something BG&E lacked (sure, it was an interesting setting, but the design was subpar and the dystopian society wasn't explored enough). Great sense of humor, interesting themes, amazing level design, great story, and no annoying sidekicks. And the gameplay is damn good too, although the combat was not on par with BG&E. Still, it's clearly the winner.

Of course, I never finished either game, but being the poster child for ADD I rarely finish a game at all.

However, it should be noted that I'd totally buy a sequel to BG&E. I just think Psychonauts is a phenomenal game completely worthy of all the praise it gets, and BG&E is just the best of a not-that-great group of action-adventure games. Or to put it another way, I'd kill for a Psychonauts sequel, but I'd only injure for a new BG&E.[/quote]
Did I miss someone saying Beyond Good and Evil was better than Psychonauts?

I don't think anyone asserted that.. let me re-read the thread...

edit: Yup... I guess someone did... weird.

BG&E was fun, and I'd love to see a sequel, personally. I'd also like to see a followup for Psychonauts. Isn't it AWESOME how the two things aren't mutually exclusive!?!

[quote name='BattleChicken']BG&E was fun, and I'd love to see a sequel, personally. I'd also like to see a followup for Psychonauts. Isn't it AWESOME how the two things aren't mutually exclusive!?![/quote]

Next you'll be saying I can enjoy Microsoft, Sony, AND Nintendo products! You are a crazy person. ;)

Yeah, BG&E was a the most cohesive universe I've ever played in - with several diff gameplay modes, I'll give it that.

But jack of all trades, master of none. And the enviornmental subplot reminded me of a bad Captain Planet episode.

[quote name='tankexmortis']Next you'll be saying I can enjoy Microsoft, Sony, AND Nintendo products! You are a crazy person. ;)[/quote]

I dare to dream.

Is Psychonauts backwards compatible?

*edit,

yes, yes it is....

I just sold my copy of BG&E oh well. I really enjoyed it, the wife did as well....

[quote name='Wlogan31']Please please please never compare Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil again...

I understand the comparison you made and its 100% accurate (high acclaim, low sales), but you didn't HAVE to say it and leave me with a sour taste in my mouth ;)[/quote]I... didn't compare them at all. I simply said they fell into a similar category for me. They're pretty different games.

Sorry to offend you...?

Beyond Good and Evil is a great game, but horribly overrated due to no one playing it when it was released. I remember buying it from CC for $10 I think a week to 2 weeks after it came out. That's sad.

Still, good news about a sequel. Maybe it'll sell poorly again so I game buy it really cheap. :D

[quote name='whoknows']Beyond Good and Evil is a great game, but horribly overrated due to no one playing it when it was released.[/quote]
BG&E is called overrated because almost everyone who played the game talks about it all the time on message boards.

But if you play the game, you'll most likely love it so much that you'll talk about it all the time on message boards.

It blows the expectations out of proportion and leads to the few that played the game and didn't like it, to cry out that it's overrated.

But really, it's a great game. If you find it for cheap, give it a try.

XBox & Gamecube versions were good fun (and the PS2 version, if you could avoid the insane number of game-ending bugs & glitches), and I don't see how this can fail if it's a $39.99 Wii Exclusive, so why not?

Incidentally, BG&E is the game that led me here, so I'll always remember it, even if it's just for that reason alone.

[quote name='whoknows']What were the game ending bugs? Because I don't recall having encountered any.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any either (I have the PS2 version).

I bought the PS2 version for a friend of mine a couple years ago. He had glitches in his play through. He mentioned there was a section that he needed Double H for and for some odd reason Double H was nowhere to be found. The character just up and disappeared :)

Hmm... for all 3 systems? That's going to be interesting.

I've been curious as to how that'll work out with this new gen. Last gen it was easy, as all 3 big systems were pretty close to each other. So, now what?

With a game like BG&E2, they won't want to put a lot of money behind it, so it's not as if they'll commit two teams, one for Wii and one for PS3/360. How are they going to overcome the graphical distinctions on the 3 systems? Do you gimp the 360/PS3 to Wii level? Do they squeeze an unprecedented amount of power out of the Wii, which only Nintendo seems to have been capable of thus far?

Like I said, I'm damn curious as to how this'll be handled.

[quote name='carthitup']With a game like BG&E2, they won't want to put a lot of money behind it, so it's not as if they'll commit two teams, one for Wii and one for PS3/360. How are they going to overcome the graphical distinctions on the 3 systems? Do you gimp the 360/PS3 to Wii level? Do they squeeze an unprecedented amount of power out of the Wii, which only Nintendo seems to have been capable of thus far?[/QUOTE]
I think that the short answer is that the game probably isn't actually being made.

SurferGirl is full of shit as far as I'm concerned, and I'm sick of hearing about her.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think that the short answer is that the game probably isn't actually being made.

SurferGirl is full of shit as far as I'm concerned, and I'm sick of hearing about her.[/QUOTE]
What a surprisingly negative post from coffeeedge. usually he's sooooo upbeat. \sarcasm

ps. threadcrap elsewhere coffeeedge... like on gamefaqs (thats right... I'm suggesting that you're a 14 year old with nothing better to do but piss on threads on gamefaqs).

[quote name='highwaypatrolman']What a surprisingly negative post from coffeeedge. usually he's sooooo upbeat. \sarcasm

ps. threadcrap elsewhere coffeeedge... like on gamefaqs (thats right... I'm suggesting that you're a 14 year old with nothing better to do but piss on threads on gamefaqs).[/QUOTE]
Uh...okay? What a surprisingly unoriginal rebuke to my negativity. "GB2gamefaqs," wow, never heard that one before.

I'm just sick of her/him/it pretending to be this godly, all-seeing, omnipotent industry insider, when all she's doing is pulling her material and stories from random, obscure sources like artist's portfolios such as this one, which is where she gleamed the name of Big Huge Games' Wii project, and then having mainstream gaming fans go gaga over it.

Anyone could find the info she posts, if they knew where to look.

The only thing I'll give her is that she appears to have a friend working at Ubisoft, who has absolutely no respect for any of their NDAs. As soon as her Ubisoft source get sacked for that, her stories about Ubisoft will run dry.

[quote name='whoknows']What were the game ending bugs? Because I don't recall having encountered any.[/QUOTE]

Check the Gamefaqs board for the game. Most of them are if you saved in specific parts, certain important characters / items will simply vanish, not letting you finish the game. I had to start over three times on the PS2 version before finally ditching it.

Seriously not trying to bash PS2 (I still hold onto the notion that it's the greatest console ever made, actually), just that for whatever reason that version of the game was buggier than the other two (the other two had bugs as well, just nothing game breaking).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh...okay? What a surprisingly unoriginal rebuke to my negativity. "GB2gamefaqs," wow, never heard that one before.

I'm just sick of her/him/it pretending to be this godly, all-seeing, omnipotent industry insider, when all she's doing is pulling her material and stories from random, obscure sources like artist's portfolios such as this one, which is where she gleamed the name of Big Huge Games' Wii project, and then having mainstream gaming fans go gaga over it.

The only thing I'll give her is that she appears to have a friend working at Ubisoft, who has absolutely no respect for any of their NDAs. As soon as her Ubisoft source get sacked for that, her stories about Ubisoft will run dry.[/QUOTE]

I don't like you, but you do make a very valid point.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh...okay? What a surprisingly unoriginal rebuke to my negativity. "GB2gamefaqs," wow, never heard that one before.

The only thing I'll give her is that she appears to have a friend working at Ubisoft, who has absolutely no respect for any of their NDAs. As soon as her Ubisoft source get sacked for that, her stories about Ubisoft will run dry.[/QUOTE]
piss and vinegar, piss and vinegar...
if anyone wants a lil' coffeeedge history lesson check his post history. what a penis-face this guy is.

[quote name='highwaypatrolman']piss and vinegar, piss and vinegar...
if anyone wants a lil' coffeeedge history lesson check his post history. what a penis-face this guy is.[/QUOTE]
Uh oh mr officer, looks like you've made a big discovery. Uh oh, I'm really mean and negative, sound the goddamned alarms. Way to go, thank god we have forums watchmen like you.

The "coffee is an asshole" thing was played out a long time ago. You missed the bandwagon.

SurferGirl is still just an attention whore copypasting stories from wherever she can find them.

But I still would love for this one to be true.

bread's done
Back