Beyond Good & Evil and AudioSurf - $4.99 - Steam

Codemaster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
AudioSurf - $4.99 - "This weekend only, pick up the music-adapting puzzle racer where you use your own music to create your own experience, AudioSurf for just $4.99. "
Beyond Good & Evil - $4.99 - "This weekend only, North American customers can pick up the action adventure game Beyond Good & Evil for just $4.99."

These weekend deals are really starting to get good. Both offers end August 25th.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='geehal']ack, Audiosurf requires a GeForce2, not buying a new vidcard just to play it. This is why I gave up on PC gaming a long while ago.[/quote]

Wow, you could upgrade your video card by a MASSIVE percentage, whatever you're using (I'd love to know) for like, the cheapest $10 card you can find. Hell, someone could probably GIVE you an old video card and it'd be 100 times better. You're honestly complaining about an utterly laughable system requirement? I could buy a cup of coffee that would cost more than a GeForce 2. This game costs more than the card required to run it.

Whoa, I just noticed the Orange Box Soundtrack is put on your hard drive, even if you just try out the Audiosurf demo. Free mp3s ftw...

I'm still going to buy Audiosurf at that price, though.

I definatly recommend picking up Audiosurf. It's worth $10

Recommedation for music:

Justice - Genesis
Justice - One Minute to Midnight
Daft Punk - Television Rules the Nation

will add more!

[quote name='blackbird3216']eh, would audiosurf work on my crappy integrated graphics PC? And do i have to launch it from the steam ui?[/quote]
Yeah most likely. Just download Steam and the demo to make sure. And you do have to have Steam running to play this (true for any game you buy off Steam).

Thanks OP, bought them both. I also got Trackmania Nations Free, which is fun and Steam apparently doesn't plague the game with Starforce copy protection (which the CD versions of the previous games had). I'm liking Steam :)

Thanks for the info. I was actually going to see Audiosurf at PAX, but this deal is too much of a steal.
Too bad I already own Beyond Good and Evil (on the GC), I would take that one up too.

[quote name='geehal']ack, Audiosurf requires a GeForce2, not buying a new vidcard just to play it. This is why I gave up on PC gaming a long while ago.[/quote]
I really hope you're joking. Go to Best Buy and buy a card for $20. Guarantee it'll be better than a GeForce2

[quote name='gage006']I really hope you're joking. Go to Best Buy and buy a card for $20. Guarantee it'll be better than a GeForce2[/QUOTE]

The only thing wrong with this is that Best Buy carries next to nothing less than $50. Better to look online for one.

As for Audiosurf, I downloaded it last night (my 6800 is up to the task, heh) and I'm liking it. Using your own tunes is a nice, nice touch, as is dividing the scoreboards by song.

Anyone have any thoughts on Beyond Good and Evil? I have it for the Gamecube, but for $5 it might be worth having it on Steam.

Picked up BG&E. Not sure about Audiosurf yet. It's nice to play your mp3, but most of the time I would just like to listen to my music.

[quote name='eastx']I highly recommend getting one of these for your laptop:

Genius MaxFire Pandora

Genius MaxFire Pandora Pro
IGN Review

The D-pads could be better, but the price is right and they are super portable. They'll fit in any laptop bag easily.[/quote]
Those are some pretty cool controllers. If you already have a PS2 controller, for about $12 you can get a PS2 Controller=>USB adapter from Radio Shack to hook it up to your computer. Then download xpadder or similar keymapping software to map the button presses to key presses. I use this setup for a lot of games (joysticks sometimes work well as a mouse, if you set them up right), as well as to control media player classic.
I know for that price you can pretty much get one of those whole controllers, but I like using the real thing.

edit: for $16 after ship you can get this and connect two PS controllers. I think that's the best bet, especially since it says it works with dance pads and such, and I don't think the Radio Shack one does.

I'm glad I got Audiosurf, but I think it's one of those games that I'm just not good at. I feel like I'm just randomly gathering blocks because I there's just so much going on that I don't have time to think about whether it would be good or bad to grab a particular block. Of course, I'm sure that challenge is part of the appeal.

[quote name='Karyyk']The only thing wrong with this is that Best Buy carries next to nothing less than $50. Better to look online for one.

As for Audiosurf, I downloaded it last night (my 6800 is up to the task, heh) and I'm liking it. Using your own tunes is a nice, nice touch, as is dividing the scoreboards by song.

Anyone have any thoughts on Beyond Good and Evil? I have it for the Gamecube, but for $5 it might be worth having it on Steam.[/quote]

If you already have it for GC, I would skip the Steam version - the PC version is inferior in every way.

Also, to the person who complained that this game requires a GeForce2: seriously? Still rocking a Pentium II also?

[quote name='Vegan']I'm glad I got Audiosurf, but I think it's one of those games that I'm just not good at. I feel like I'm just randomly gathering blocks because I there's just so much going on that I don't have time to think about whether it would be good or bad to grab a particular block. Of course, I'm sure that challenge is part of the appeal.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can play with just 2 colors, and that makes it a lot easier. I find the high level gameplay confusing as well.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']If you already have a PS2 controller, for about $12 you can get a PS2 Controller=>USB adapter from Radio Shack to hook it up to your computer. [/QUOTE]

The reason I recommended the Genius Pandora controllers is for their portability. Using other controllers on a PC is fine of course (Xbox 360 pad rocks), but laptop users can especially benefit from a controller that fits in just about anything.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Wow, just booted up BG&E and the thing is hella buggy...not very happy...[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any issues w/ BG&E PC -- and I ain't changed all the settings. Everything's pumped up all the way.
(If I get issues, I'll mess with them...)

A lot of the older games, when you run them on a new PC, you got to fiddle w/ the settings a bit to get them to work. Usually, these days, don't take much fiddling to get it going -- unless you're trying to run say a DOS game on Win XP or something; in which you might want to get DosBox for that.

Anyways, Go back a page and see Buck's post on what settings to put BG&E PC on, to avoid graphical issues -- with newer vid cards and newer drivers.

Me, I run it on this PC -- Win XP, 3.2 Ghz P4 with HT Tech, 2 GB RAM DDR2, 512 MB GeForce 8800 GT DDR3 (with the newest PhysX supported drivers installed).

Hell, I'mma just link you to the pic of his settings.
2500062533_6b84bfd076.jpg

I'm one of the few who actually picked up BG&E when it first came out. Very cool and different type of game. I actually finished it. I'd play it again it's that good.

[quote name='Codemaster']Start -> Programs -> Ubisoft -> Beyond Good & Evil -> Beyond Good & Evil Settings[/quote]

I've got everything launching from steam, so I don't have a Ubisoft file with the exe, any other ideas?

NM, it is located at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\beyond good and evil for me. Steam is a major PIA so far. Hopefully I'll start to see the benefits soon.

[quote name='52club']I've got everything launching from steam, so I don't have a Ubisoft file with the exe, any other ideas?[/quote]

You can change the settings in the game's folder.

Steam\steamapps\common\beyond good and evil

There should be a file you can open called "SettingsApplication.exe".

bread's done
Back