Bill in Congress regarding breast cancer surgery

Chika

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
A mastectomy is when a person's breast (YES, men can have a mastecomy also) is removed in order to remove cancerous breast cells/tissue. If you know anyone who has had a mastectomy, you may know that there is a lot of discomfort and pain afterwards. Insurance companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient procedure. Let's give women the chance to recover properly in the hospital for 2 days after surgery.

This Bill is in Congress now. It takes 2 seconds to do this and is very important. Please take the time and do it really quick! The Breast Cancer Hospitalization Bill is important legislation. It's about eliminating the 'drive-through mastectomy' where people are forced to go home just a few hours after surgery, against the wishes of their doctor, still groggy from anesthesia and sometimes with drainage tubes still attached.

Lifetime Television has put this bill on their web page with a petition drive to show your support. Last year over half the House signed on. PLEASE! Sign the petition by clicking on the web site below. You need not give more than your name, email address and zip code.

Click here to sign the petition!

Why only mastectomies? The bill should cover all "drive by" surgical procedures and permit the patient to stay at least overnight for observation based on the physician's clinical judgment, removing the pressure to discharge the patient because of insurance companies.

I'm confused as to why this is a big deal. i have had 3 outpatient surgeries and my wife has had 2 i think. As long as all went well I (and my wife) wanted to just go home and rest. I can understand if in a special case or complication the patient needs to stay under hospital care (I would say physician care, but these days you are under nurse care with a Dr. on call) and the insurance refuses to pay for it. As far as routing mastectomies I dont see the point of forcing someone to stay overnight if they dont want/need to. My mother in law had a softball sized tumor removed from one of her breasts a few months ago and it was outpatient. She was fine and happy to go home. Can anyone enlighten me as to why mastectomies being an outpatient procedure seems to be a touchy subject?

Well, it isn't that you want people to be FORCED to stay overnight, but you want them to have choice.

If this passed, it would be MANDATORY that they go home. Even if they really want to stay overnight.

thanks for signing this, everyone. my grandmother had a lumpectomy a few years ago and it was an overnight stay, thankfully. i dont know what would've happened if she had to go home with the drain still in. very simply, she wouldn't have been able to handle it mentally or physically.

My mom came home right after her mastectomy. It was horrible. Nobody should have to do that.

I'm not saying that every kind of surgery needs an overnight stay, but my mom sure did.

Signed.

fuck insurance companies. Hopefully Obama can pull off some sort of Health Care fix that doesn't fuck over the average American like the current system does.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Get ready for your insurance premiums to go up though.[/QUOTE]

Your insurance premiums will go up anyway. If you think there is any correlation between the price of your premiums and the care your receive, you're buying into the lie the insurance companies and their lobbyists are always pushing.

[quote name='Eviltude']Anything for some boobies, even if it is only making them as comfortable as they may be in their final hours.[/QUOTE]

i dont even know what to say in response to that :lol:

When I had my laparoscopic appendectomy I was out in a few hours. I think I finally was able to piss again about 24 hours later, and man it burned. Anyway, not sure what that has to do with breasts, but signed!!

bread's done
Back