Bioshock 2 Limited Edition - $89.92 @ Walmart.com

[quote name='qwerty1']Audiophiles go to vinyl because of poor CD mastering including but not limited to the reduction of dynamic range [done intentionally]. It has absolutely nothing to do with the format being inherintly bad. You'll find the vast majority have switched over largely to digital...buddy. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Audiophiles like vinyl because true analog recordings have an unlimited range, while CDs not do. That said, you can read all you want here, as I'm overly tired of the vinyl-vs-CD debate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_recording_vs._digital_recording

Btw, just because a vast majority of people switched to a different medium doesn't mean it's better. Usually it just means they're sheep following the herd.

[quote name='qwerty1']An artbook doesnt justify a $40 additional cost, not even close. They're incredibly cheap to manufacture, especially since thats largely outsourced to china now as well. I've gotten some very nice hardcovers from amazon recently in the 300pg range, cost is anywhere between $10-$20 and thats with markup. [/QUOTE]

You're still trying argue this? A mark up is when something is MORE than the MSRP, there's probably not a single book on Amazon that's higher the MSRP. Most are 20% or more. Secondly, a books price is going to be based on the print run. Strategy guides are marked down, but game art books like the Capcom stuff is still 26 bucks and some is OOP.

Paper is cheap to print but so are DVD, they are almost identical in price if you print hardcovers but the cost isn't in the paper or plastic, it's the content which is valued based on the market.

[quote name='qwerty1'] As i said, it wont be worth squat if they've made an endless amount. The only way it increases in value is if it sells out then people want what they cant have, but that still hasnt happened. [/QUOTE]

Almost no LE preorder sell out. Honestly, I bet the print run will actually be set around what the preorders are with a reasonable excess to insure a few shelf copies. Numerous LEs became hard to find after people just walked in and bought the few shelf copies.

I won't argue that 40 extra bucks for paper and plastic (if that's how you look at it) is a personal choice, I'm a CAGer after all, but creating a false sense of value based on your own sensibilities isn't going to dictate the market. Many LE's have become clearanced and some go on to hold value or even become more valuable based on availability and quality.

so i get an artbook, a poster, a vinyl album and a cd plus the game all for $90ish.... im thinking i will pass on this LE as well as the game. From what i heard on the giantbomb podcast, and i tend to agree with those guys on my gaming likes and dislikes, i think i i am going to be alright passing on this now.

I liked the big daddy i got with the first game, and the little sister i bought to go with it. I enjoyed the game as it was. But i didnt get carried away with it like i have for some other games (*cough* gears of war, blue dragon *cough*) so if i end up getting it later on, i will be ok with that too.

[quote name='waxHead']Btw, just because a vast majority of people switched to a different medium doesn't mean it's better. Usually it just means they're sheep following the herd.[/QUOTE]

In the case of audio formats, a lot had to do with convenience and not so much to do with your herd theory. Have you ever had a car with a record player? Or a portable record player you could strap to your back?

[quote name='prateeko']How well does Wal-Mart pack items they ship? Never ordered online with them before[/QUOTE]

Ooh! Good question! The few items I've ordered (both direct and site-to-store) were uniformly packed pretty poorly. Sometimes thrown in a much larger box with a couple of air bladders and that's it. No attempt made to pick the proper size shipping box or to fill the majority of the empty space. So the contents could move freely and got all dinged up.

However, these tended to be larger items (toys, speakers stands, etc). A smaller item like this may stand a better chance. They've got to have a good supply of smaller, flat boxes. I just wouldn't expect them to wrap the set in anything or cushion all around it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']In the case of audio formats, a lot had to do with convenience and not so much to do with your herd theory. Have you ever had a car with a record player? Or a portable record player you could strap to your back?[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I was one of the first adopters of mp3s back in 96-97, I think it's great - I listen to them at work all day long. My statement was aimed at qwerty1's comments about CD-vs-vinyl, and that many people don't know enough about the difference between various types of music media to even make an informed decision about which one they might enjoy most. Hence the "sheep following the herd".

It should also be noted that Walmart's Bing Cashback is now at 15% rather than the 10% reported earlier.

keyword "sony", "hdtv", "walmart cashback"

Would put PS3/360 versions somewhere around $76-80 give or take with tax (varies)
PC version would be in the realm of $68-72 with tax (varies)

I'll probably preorder, with possible intent to cancel once it gets closer
too many unknowns:

will the artbook be cool? probably
will the soundtrack be as good as the first? probably
will the quantity exceed demand? gamble
will one version be better/worse? gamble
and most importantly,
will it be as great/about as great as the first? huge gamble

[quote name='OtherAdam']Amazon just priced matched the LE to walmart. It's now 89.99.[/QUOTE]Actually, the 360 and PS3 versions are $89.92 at the moment, so I emailed Amazon to adjust the price on my pre-order for my 360 copy.

[quote name='shrike4242']Actually, the 360 and PS3 versions are $89.92 at the moment, so I emailed Amazon to adjust the price on my pre-order for my 360 copy.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure amazon has matched that 89.92 price already, they've also added a Delta costume for Ps3 preorders for use in Home.

[quote name='blissskr']Pretty sure amazon has matched that 89.92 price already, they've also added a Delta costume for Ps3 preorders for use in Home.[/QUOTE]Looks like a Big Daddy costume to me when I check the product page.

[quote name='Warn3rv3']thanks for the heads up. I just canceled and resubmitted my order. Much easier than dealing with CS.[/QUOTE]They adjusted it within 5 minutes of my email to them, which is quick even for them. I would have canceled and re-ordered, though I used a $10 discount on the item that would disappear if I canceled and remade the order, since the discount expired on 12/31/09.

[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like a Big Daddy costume to me when I check the product page.[/QUOTE]
It is a Big daddy, but his name is Delta its who you play as in BS2. None of the other Big Daddys Bouncers, Rosies or the new Rumbler have the same look as Delta.

[quote name='blissskr']It is a Big daddy, but his name is Delta its who you play as in BS2. None of the other Big Daddys Bouncers, Rosies or the new Rumbler have the same look as Delta.[/QUOTE]Gotcha. Clears that up.

[quote name='OtherAdam']Amazon just priced matched the LE to walmart. It's now 89.99.[/QUOTE]

That pushed me over. Pre-ordered.

any word on which version is going to be the "better" version? I use better subjectively but you get the point.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Or a portable record player you could strap to your back?[/QUOTE]

it doesn't strap to my back but rather fits in my pocket, my Soundwagon

Only funny because it's bad, lol. Super nice. Those posters are so simple but soooo retro and awesome looking. Feels like they'd be great up in a cool theater room or something. Thanks for the video link. I would've been disappointed if I hadn't have broken down, dug into my wallet, and pre-ordered this edition.

There are few games I'd spend this much on for a special edition. Bioshock is definitely one of them. The size of the extras is awesome. "The art of" books lose something when they're the size of a standard game case. And even though I don't have a turntable, I love the record.

Bought the limited edition on PC - year later it was selling for 5 bucks- it's a 10 dollar game in my book- but perhaps hearing everyone talk about it was essentially better than Jesus and then playing it 6 months later made me expect a lot out of it.
Thanks for the post, I'll have to wait. Glad Mass Effect 2 delivered- Collector's edition was worth it for me on that one.

[quote name='friedram']Bought the limited edition on PC - year later it was selling for 5 bucks- it's a 10 dollar game in my book- but perhaps hearing everyone talk about it was essentially better than Jesus and then playing it 6 months later made me expect a lot out of it.
Thanks for the post, I'll have to wait. Glad Mass Effect 2 delivered- Collector's edition was worth it for me on that one.[/QUOTE]

Never buy a PC CE ... that's the fastest way to waste your money imo. Outside of Word of Warcraft (the original), I can't think of any PC CE that's truly held its value. I think it has something to do with the fact that PC games are pirated more ... but really, I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, it seems that 360 & PS3 games hold their value far better, because the Bioshock CE for 360 still commands quite a bit of money online currently.

[quote name='Missingdata']Is it me or the price has changed to 99.99 for walmart.com?[/QUOTE]

Yep, not all prices stay the same, amazon changes it up as well. Before the $10 video game credit FF13 was 56? or so. Now its 59.99. Hope people got it while it lasted. I got the price change when they dropped it for a day or two on amazon since they have pre-order price guarantee.

[quote name='bto']After seeing the posters are on 80lb stock, I am thinking of framing them. Truly a nice CE.[/QUOTE]

They really are nice, but what does 80lb stock mean? Dumbfounded me in the video =)

[quote name='Vortextk']They really are nice, but what does 80lb stock mean? Dumbfounded me in the video =)[/QUOTE]

Heh, I guess my graphic designer self came out there... Well, to explain it in simple terms: think of everyday, printer paper as 20lb. It is very thin, and not sturdy at all. So, it is the paper's thickness. The thickness is measured by its weight per ream... so think of it this way... the more lbs. the thicker the paper, and thus, used for higher quality jobs, where presentation is important. The posters are made on 80lb paper, which is good quality for something to be archival-quality, but paper would be only one of the factors for that, though.

Ok, hopefully I did not add to the confusion.

Thanks for posting that video. It made me realize how much more content I am with the standard version.

Actually, I was more interested in the set of Borderlands character posters behind the unveiled "Uber-Edition"

I think it looks cool but sure as heck not worth the price. I'm sure like the Fallout 3 special editions this one will go down in price quickly

Only time will tell ... not to mention, I'll be selling an original bioshock LE (opened, not mint) plus original artbook to offset some of the price ;-p

[quote name='etcrane']Only time will tell ... not to mention, I'll be selling an original bioshock LE (opened, not mint) plus original artbook to offset some of the price ;-p[/QUOTE]

If it's in good enough condition, with everything included, you can probably sell it for over $100 on eBay. Bam, free Bioshock 2 CE.

Heads up for those still interested in purchasing Bishock 2 via Wally World; Bing Cashback is now at 20%

So for:

PC: CE = $71.97 before taxes
360/PS3: CE = $79.97 before taxes

Even hotter is the discount one could get who is just interested in the standard versions (don't forget the added $10 gift card)

Search for "Walmart," "Walmart Equipment" or "Walmart Madden"

bread's done
Back