BioShock DLC was already on the disk, "DLC" simply unlocks it (?!)

I'd prefer all available content on a game's disc be available immediately, but at least they're unlocking it for free if this is indeed true.

It's nice if it's free, it helps me pace the game better. If they allowed you to play with the DLC from the day it was released, would anybody be pulling out their game to play right now?

Like others, seems like BS since it was a 20MB download.

At any rate, it's free so it's all good. Makes me more likely to eventually get around to replaying it and harvesting the little sisters to get the evil ending.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']20MB's is plenty of room for the stuff they added.[/QUOTE]

I know. What we mean is it's unlikely the content was on the disc, and this just was key to unlock, as you wouldn't need a file anywhere near as big as 20MB for that.

It's more likely the download was the key to unlock them + tweaks and adjustments and additional files needed. Just because they are in the game doesn't mean they were finished. They could have been not working 100% at launch and they fixed and tweaked em before unlocking it.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Damnit, I traded this game in because I didnt think I was gonna play it again![/quote]

Yeah I was sort of pissed when I heard they were coming out with DLC for bioshock b/c I played it/beat it (twice) on a free trial from Gamefly. Ah well, I really probably would not have played this game again for just one new plasmid some tonics and a new achievment. Regardless it was nice to get to experience all I would ever want out of this game and not have to pay 65 bucks to do it.

[quote name='Brian9824']It's more likely the download was the key to unlock them + tweaks and adjustments and additional files needed. Just because they are in the game doesn't mean they were finished. They could have been not working 100% at launch and they fixed and tweaked em before unlocking it.[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I was thinking, that is, if it isn't just bullshit.

Wasn't there plasmids and crap already on the disk, simply left over from the final game? I remember hearing about it when BS first dropped.

If they still have the whole "Buy BS, get Darkness FREE" dealie going, I might just try and snag a copy of both.

[quote name='Scorch']If it's free, I don't really care.

If I had to pay for it, i'd be pissed[/QUOTE]

why? what does it matter? what is the difference if they have the content ready and the put it on the disc versus putting it in the closet and having it for download later, it is the same thing, get over yourself.

Or maybe the content on the disc was unfinished or left incomplete because of time constraints and they unlocked it/completed it later. Could happen.

[quote name='TheShiz']why? what does it matter? what is the difference if they have the content ready and the put it on the disc versus putting it in the closet and having it for download later, it is the same thing, get over yourself.[/QUOTE]
In the case of BioShock's free content, it makes no difference at all. In the case of pay content being an unlock key it means that completed content was deliberately withheld to be sold later and that's distasteful to many.

Next Generation= Delays, Paying for Stuff you already bought, and higher prices with shorter games.

Isint stuff great?

the new katamari levels are 248kb each. While certainly large enough to be believeable considering the simplicity of katamari levels in general... that stinks more of unlock key than 20 megs does.

[quote name='evanft']Or maybe the content on the disc was unfinished or left incomplete because of time constraints and they unlocked it/completed it later. Could happen.[/quote]

That seems plausible. They found code on the game disc referencing the new plasmids, and other plasmids not in the orig game.

But if you look at the code for any game, there will be stuff in there not in the actual game. Time contraints, development choices, etc. The developer doesnt always have the time or desire to clean all that stuff out of the code onthe disc. Hell, look at Hot Coffee, Or KoToR 2.

The Plasmids could have been planned from the getgo, but never completed, yet still mentioned in the games code. This 20mb could be the actual graphics for those plasmids, which would take up that amount of space.

Either way, it in no way smacks of withheld yet finished content.

I seem to remember an interview where there was a discussion with some of the game designers (producers, coders, something) about how there were more plasmids planed that just did not work in the game b/c they allowed the player to have too much power and kept the game from progressing as it should. I'm going to guess that the new plasmids have been balanced to fix earlier concerns. The download could be a key for the plasmid and 19.5 MBs of fixes for the game, who knows. I think I hear of an transport plasmid that never made it to the final game for our use. I hope that gets unlocked sometime.

bread's done
Back