Bioshock for PS3 19.99 at amazon

Thanks to both. Now have to decide where. I have a $5 RZ cert I need to use so I'm leaning towards BB. Plus maybe I'll hold onto it until next week's rumored BOGO 1/2 off.

[quote name='MisterFleX']Nice deal. Just saw this at 19.99 on Best Buy's site. Too bad my local BB doesn't have any left in stock.[/QUOTE]

They must have just changed it because I checked yesterday and it was about 30. I think I'm still going to wait for BB so I can get Uncharted.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Definitely a good deal for the superior version of Bioshock.[/QUOTE]

Why is it superior? I have actually been looking at Bioshock 360 vs PS3 all day, as well as Fallout 3 360 vs PS3. I cannot decided which system for either game. Any input would be helpful.

[quote name='warpedsoul']Why is it superior? I have actually been looking at Bioshock 360 vs PS3 all day, as well as Fallout 3 360 vs PS3. I cannot decided which system for either game. Any input would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 version of Bioshock added Challenge Rooms and a couple of other things. As for Fallout 3, the better version is the 360 version if you're interested in DLC. If not... I'm playing the PS3 version right now and the framerate isn't always great.

Forgetting all the additions, PC is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='warpedsoul']Why is it superior? I have actually been looking at Bioshock 360 vs PS3 all day, as well as Fallout 3 360 vs PS3. I cannot decided which system for either game. Any input would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

PS3 version has additional tonics and then Challenge Room DLC content. Not sure if there's much else besides system preference.

For Fallout, at this point I'd wait for the GOTY edition for either system which contains all the DLC.

I played both on PS3 myself.

[quote name='FadeToOne']PS3 version has additional tonics and then Challenge Room DLC content. Not sure if there's much else besides system preference.

For Fallout, at this point I'd wait for the GOTY edition for either system which contains all the DLC.

I played both on PS3 myself.[/QUOTE]

I think I saw on xbox.com that Bioshock has additional tonics for download as well. As for the Challenge Rooms, I have no interest in them. That is not a factor for me?

For Fallout, I was going to wait for the GOTY edition for which console I decide. I'm just having a real hard time deciding. I like to keep games about even on the two, but I also like having the better version. I messed up buying the PS3 ghostbusters too early without reading reviews.

In your opinion, which console is better for the two games?

[quote name='warpedsoul']I think I saw on xbox.com that Bioshock has additional tonics for download as well. As for the Challenge Rooms, I have no interest in them. That is not a factor for me?

For Fallout, I was going to wait for the GOTY edition for which console I decide. I'm just having a real hard time deciding. I like to keep games about even on the two, but I also like having the better version. I messed up buying the PS3 ghostbusters too early without reading reviews.

In your opinion, which console is better for the two games?[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for a price deal, Bioshock for 360 can be found on Clearance at some places like Target but YMMV, or you can go for the Bioshock/Oblivion double pack which is also a great deal. Bioshock has great atmosphere and story, it's a must play for anyone.

Fallout 3 is excellent, but most people I know started this game and just didn't have the persistence to finish it. It's massive and deep, and will require many many more hours of dedication compared to Bioshock. But at this point you might as well wait for the GOTY ver.

[quote name='bh47']If you're looking for a price deal, Bioshock for 360 can be found on Clearance at some places like Target but YMMV, or you can go for the Bioshock/Oblivion double pack which is also a great deal. Bioshock has great atmosphere and story, it's a must play for anyone.

Fallout 3 is excellent, but most people I know started this game and just didn't have the persistence to finish it. It's massive and deep, and will require many many more hours of dedication compared to Bioshock. But at this point you might as well wait for the GOTY ver.[/QUOTE]

I'm probably going to end up getting both games; I just need help deciding which console I should get each game for.

I've only played the 360 versions of both games, but from what I've read-- BioShock PS3 added some marginal bonus content and some slight graphical improvements. Nothing too substantial, but probably enough to be a tie-breaker if the two versions are tied otherwise. Fallout 3 on PS3 had a lot of problems with frame rate dips and freeze bugs, again I've only personally played the 360 version so this is based on reading reviews and such. I think the Giant Bomb review went into some detail about the bugs he experienced on the PS3 version but not the 360.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Definitely a good deal for the superior version of Bioshock.[/QUOTE]That says PS3, not PC.

Just got back from Gamestop, I can confirm that the used price is $17.99 for the PS3 version.

Pretty good deal.. I got that store's only copy. With the 10% off wasn't a bad deal at that price.

I didn't see it on the shelf as new, so I cannot comment on that part.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I've only played the 360 versions of both games, but from what I've read-- BioShock PS3 added some marginal bonus content and some slight graphical improvements. Nothing too substantial, but probably enough to be a tie-breaker if the two versions are tied otherwise. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's supposed to have higher resolution textures in some places. If you don't have a PS3 though it's not like I'd buy one just for this or something though. I played it on the 360, and then the PS3 demo a year later, and it didn't seem drastically different. i mean the 360 one already looked great.

I do kind of wish I'd waited though because when I played it, the 360 didn't have install to drive, and the immersiveness was wrecked for me by the jet engine sitting next to my TV :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, it's supposed to have higher resolution textures in some places. If you don't have a PS3 though it's not like I'd buy one just for this or something though. I played it on the 360, and then the PS3 demo a year later, and it didn't seem drastically different. i mean the 360 one already looked great.

I do kind of wish I'd waited though because when I played it, the 360 didn't have install to drive, and the immersiveness was wrecked for me by the jet engine sitting next to my TV :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

:lol: I was thinking about getting it on the 360 just so I could stream music. I was hoping that would make it less scary by giving me something else to focus on.

[quote name='Red Haze']:lol: I was thinking about getting it on the 360 just so I could stream music. I was hoping that would make it less scary by giving me something else to focus on.[/QUOTE]

Hee hee, well now there's something I hadn't thought of! :D

Yeah, for me it's a pretty intense, pretty disturbing game in a way most aren't (I mean I can see people who claim it's no big deal or whatever, but for me it's freakier than a normal FPS or something). Maybe I should have been glad the noise (pre-install to drive) made it less immersive! :lol:

Well, either way, all three versions look and run great. (The PC one even on a "lowly" Geforce 8600GT outdoes the console ones, but they console ones already look fantastic-reason I got the Xbox version instead was the activation on the PC on.)

This game is awesome. I'm not a big fan of FPS and didn't have high hopes when I got it at the HMV sale a few weeks ago but I must say this the only FPS that really got me hooked this gen

Thank You Op, I'd been waiting for this to drop. Also, Newegg has the same price, but with free shipping and no tax (depending on your state). So you don't have to search for a filler item with Amazon for free shipping.

That's 'cause it's not really an FPS, but don't let Irrational 2K Boston know I let the cat out of the bag ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up a 1 of 2 used copies at a Gamestop last night for $17.99. Wasn't really intending to get this game, but I needed something to test out my new PS3 slim. Only played about 45 minutes of it, and I like it much better then I thought I would.

Really creepy game, I showed my wife about 5-10 minutes of gameplay and she had to leave the room.

I was originally thinking of just returning it within 7 days, but I may actually keep this. Nice price too!

[quote name='IronSerif']Just picked up a 1 of 2 used copies at a Gamestop last night for $17.99. Wasn't really intending to get this game, but I needed something to test out my new PS3 slim. Only played about 45 minutes of it, and I like it much better then I thought I would.

Really creepy game, I showed my wife about 5-10 minutes of gameplay and she had to leave the room.

I was originally thinking of just returning it within 7 days, but I may actually keep this. Nice price too![/QUOTE]

That does not make me feel any better about getting it for the PS3. I can't wait.

[quote name='IronSerif']Just picked up a 1 of 2 used copies at a Gamestop last night for $17.99. Wasn't really intending to get this game, but I needed something to test out my new PS3 slim. Only played about 45 minutes of it, and I like it much better then I thought I would.

I was originally thinking of just returning it within 7 days, but I may actually keep this. Nice price too![/QUOTE]

You know, just that opening when you're in the bathysphere-this idiots with their "GAMES AREN'T ART!" Uh huh, then what the hell is that? :bomb:

Geez, any kind of game like this-even the first Silent Hill, Sakaguchi's stuff, Irrational's "Shock" games, Mass Effect, etc., etc....

It's not that creepy, but yeah, i don't think you want to play this in the dark, by yourself... Fortunately, you don't have the Lunatics hopping on your back like Batman AA, but the damn ugly Splicers charge toward you. Anyhow, i never got the chance to finish this game (RRoD on the Xbox and never pick it up after the replacement). I might start it off fresh on the PS3 to earn some trophies. It's good, but not that great...

Eh, I didn't like it as much as System Shock 2, but that's not saying much. I think System Shock 2 is one of the best games ever made, and so is Bioshock IMO (even if it didn't affect me as much as I thought it would).

Theres nothing creepier than playing in a dark room at like 2am and hearing a splicer sing 'Jesus loves me this I know cause the bible tells me so'

[quote name='Red Haze']That does not make me feel any better about getting it for the PS3. I can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Haha. I even used my headphones so I could really immerse myself in the game...and man, it makes it that much more creepier. The atmosphere really changes once you put on some headphones and turn out the lights.

[quote name='Wolfpup']You know, just that opening when you're in the bathysphere-this idiots with their "GAMES AREN'T ART!" Uh huh, then what the hell is that? :bomb:

Geez, any kind of game like this-even the first Silent Hill, Sakaguchi's stuff, Irrational's "Shock" games, Mass Effect, etc., etc....[/QUOTE]

Yeah no kidding, definitely was not expecting that :applause:

[quote name='blissskr']Theres nothing creepier than playing in a dark room at like 2am and hearing a splicer sing 'Jesus loves me this I know cause the bible tells me so'[/QUOTE]

That's a cue to get your trigger finger ready lol:twoguns:

[quote name='warpedsoul']I still cant decide on a system :([/QUOTE]

You mean like Xbox vs. PC vs. Playstation?

Graphically it's technically:
PC > Playstation > Xbox, but the Xbox one already looks REAAAAAAAALLY good, so don't be scared of any of them.

All three seem to control really well (although the Playstation one possibly uses R2 to shoot? Can't remember, though the demo seemed to control just as well as the Xbox one).

If I were getting it now, I'd get it for Playstation 'cause of the graphics (skipped the PC one because of activation), but the Xbox is just excellent too.

[quote name='blissskr']Theres nothing creepier than playing in a dark room at like 2am and hearing a splicer sing 'Jesus loves me this I know cause the bible tells me so'[/QUOTE]

Whoa-I either forgot that, or didn't have it happen to me. That is AWESOME :lol:

[quote name='neschamp']Is there a coupon code to possibly take a bit more money off the price?[/QUOTE]

Well, you can join the ECA, which is really a group to try to protect our rights as gamers, but as a side benefit lets you get 10% off codes for Amazon games (when they haven't run out/expired). See the ECA thread on here for more info.

FYI, the PS3 exclusive Challenge Rooms are paid DLC ($10). Also, the framerate isn't as smooth as the 360 version, but it's perfectly playable.

The PS3 version has a "new game+" option that I don't think was available on PC/360.

Are you sure the framerate's different? The one review I read that mentioned there were some occasions it would slow down a bit, but said it was the same as the 360 version, and something to the effect that they would have taken improving the framerate over improved textures.

But...I played through the 360 one on easy, and the PS3 demo on easy, and never saw anything remotely bad about the frame rate-nothing I'd consider noticeable. (Maybe on harder difficulties they throw more guys on screen or something, I have no idea.)

Yeah the game has trophies and most of them look like can be unlocked in one play through (haven't finished the game yet but already have quite a few)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Are you sure the framerate's different? The one review I read that mentioned there were some occasions it would slow down a bit, but said it was the same as the 360 version, and something to the effect that they would have taken improving the framerate over improved textures.

But...I played through the 360 one on easy, and the PS3 demo on easy, and never saw anything remotely bad about the frame rate-nothing I'd consider noticeable. (Maybe on harder difficulties they throw more guys on screen or something, I have no idea.)[/QUOTE]

The overall framerate is probably similar, but the Eurogamer comparison stated that the PS3 version tended to dip into the low 20's more often than the 360 version. The game also runs at 680p on the PS3 versus 720p for the 360.

Make sure to apply the patch if you get the PS3 version. The original release uses a horrible blur filter in lieu of proper AA. They toned down the blur filter in the patched version so it looks way better.

Maybe, but I think it was Game Informer that flat out said the PS3 one looks better, or at worse the same. It looked the same to me when I tried the demo (which is to say, really really good).

I personally never even turn AA on in PC games :lol:

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang...am I going to have to buy it too? If it's got Trophies...is that a good excuse? ;)[/QUOTE]

:lol: That's the only real reason I'm going with the PS3 version. I can't show off my Acheivements. Its not my primary machine.

bread's done
Back