BIOSHOCK - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='porieux']Not me. Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Still waiting. I vaguely remember seeing a story saying that they are still sending some out. I put in my order as soon as the form was up, so they're clearly not going in order that replacement forms were received.

From 2k:

UPDATE!

while i can't give you a date on when the last Big Daddy will ship, I can tell you this: they are shipping, but each one is being individually inspected and packed to ensure they arrive to you in one piece. they are also being packed very, very securely this time, so each Big Daddy is getting a lot of love and attention.

i also quadruple confirmed that many have been sent out already.

and:

we don't have an email system in place to notify you when the figure ships. and i'm sorry if people are confused, but don't be alarmed if you don't have your figurine yet. they began shipping within 2 weeks after i emailed the confirmation (in fact i believe just at the end of those 2 weeks) and the process is still continuing. that was only the beginning of the process -- not the end. i'll let you know when they all have shipped.

No shame at all in admitting Fort Frolic scared you, it scared the crap out of me and i had to play most of the game at night while I was the only one awake.

As to to broken big daddies, I feel for all of the people who bought the CE and got busted ones, they're pretty cool looking though.

Hey guys,
I just rented bioshock and I am on my first play through. I am at the part where I have to go into the submarine and save some people at the fish place. (lol I really don't know what I'm talking about). I got a message saying I have not harvested/rescued all the little sisters but I have looked around and can't find the little sister/big daddy anywhere. Anyone know what I should do. Also, are Rosie's Big Daddys or a different creature, they look similar.

Big daddies, which come in two forms: rosies and bouncers, walk along pre-determined paths. If you follow one long enough, it will go to a vent (wierd metallic structures with a round hole inthe top) The BD will rap (not like Skee-lo rap, rap like in Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven") on teh vent and a LS will come crawliing out, havest some ADAM, then get sleepy or perhaps a little orny, and eventually return to the vent. Once you get all the LS's BD's will still spawn, its just nothing will come out of the vents.

Just follow a BD for a while, you'll find any LS's that are still there to be found.

TIP: On the pause screen it will reflect how many LS's are in each area, when they have a BD helmet above their shoulder, you havent dealt with them yet (one way or the other). Usually harvested LS will appear a different color than Rescued ones.

BTW, if you're concerned about the moral implications (achievments) about what you decide to do with LS's YOU GET ONE FREEBIE!

[quote name='pittpizza']Big daddies, which come in two forms: rosies and bouncers, walk along pre-determined paths. If you follow one long enough, it will go to a vent (wierd metallic structures with a round hole inthe top) The BD will rap (not like Skee-lo rap, rap like in Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven") on teh vent and a LS will come crawliing out, havest some ADAM, then get sleepy or perhaps a little orny, and eventually return to the vent. Once you get all the LS's BD's will still spawn, its just nothing will come out of the vents.

Just follow a BD for a while, you'll find any LS's that are still there to be found.

TIP: On the pause screen it will reflect how many LS's are in each area, when they have a BD helmet above their shoulder, you havent dealt with them yet (one way or the other). Usually harvested LS will appear a different color than Rescued ones.

BTW, if you're concerned about the moral implications (achievments) about what you decide to do with LS's YOU GET ONE FREEBIE![/quote]
Well I'm saving all the little sisters. I don't understand what you mean. I have killed two Rosies in the same room and never seen a LS. Should I walk around and go back to the room, kill another Rosie and hope I find an LS?

[quote name='Mrbaseball2710']Well I'm saving all the little sisters. I don't understand what you mean. I have killed two Rosies in the same room and never seen a LS. Should I walk around and go back to the room, kill another Rosie and hope I find an LS?[/QUOTE]

Just keep an eye on the Big Daddies that don't have little sisters. They'll eventually go tap on a vent, and a little sister will come out. The little sisters randomly "spawn through an area that way."

That or just run around the area in till you eventually find them all.

If you don't see a little sister with a big daddy, just leave the big daddy alone. No point wasting ammo etc. to kill it when it doesn't have a little sister with it. They won't attack you when they're alone unless you shoot them first.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just keep an eye on the Big Daddies that don't have little sisters. They'll eventually go tap on a vent, and a little sister will come out. The little sisters randomly "spawn through an area that way."

That or just run around the area in till you eventually find them all.

If you don't see a little sister with a big daddy, just leave the big daddy alone. No point wasting ammo etc. to kill it when it doesn't have a little sister with it. They won't attack you when they're alone unless you shoot them first.[/quote]

Yea, I messed around a bit and waited to kill the Big Daddy, it knocked and the girl came out. Saved her and finished the level. Where in the pause menu does it say how many LS you have left to find.

Dude just do exactly what I said: follow a BD around, he will tap on a vent and (if there are any left) a LS will come out, Wait until she is all the way out until you attack.

BD's are just randomly strolling around looking for LS's to guard by tapping on vents.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm about halfway through Arcadia playing on easy. I'm loving the story and the environment, but the gameplay is starting to feel a little repetitive. (It is still a nice break from COD4 MP). I've played about 3 hours on easy (switched when I was getting annoyed killing all those crazy people and turrets) and I am just wondering how long the game is/how far am I. It is just a rent so I need to finish in a timeframe.

[quote name='kevzik']Just started the game to...love it! Any suggestions on what to use to kill LSs?[/QUOTE]

You can't kill them, you can either harvest them or save them.

Save them for the good ending.

[quote name='kevzik']Just started the game to...love it! Any suggestions on what to use to kill LSs?[/quote]

Do you mean the BD's that guard them? If so just try to keep your distance, plug em with armor piercing rounds and alot of people have luck with electrick buck early on. The first couple are tough but as you progress, you get better weapons and can use, let just say "STrategy" more.

Also have a plan and be aware that you can make the BD's fight on your terms. They wont attack you unless you attack them or threaten the LS first, so I suggest hacking some turrets, bots, rpg's whatever, and then lay into the BD with a fierce initial barrage (like a full clip of electrick buck or armor peircing). This is sort of like a blitzkrieg tactic. You CAN run away from them and lose them in pursuit, keep in mind also that their health does not degenerate.

Have telekenesis? Use the exposive red metal canisters to get a hit in and then run away. Lure the BD into turrets and bots and he will stop fighting you and focus on the harassing turret. Combine these tactics, hit one with a canister, unload your weapon barrage, then retreat/lure the BD into turrets to help you.

Like I said though, its really only necessary for the first two as you get better and better weapons which make em MUCH easeir later in the game.

Baseball, Aradia is perhaps VERY ROUGHLY 1/3rd into the game. Some of the next levels are pretty long but the last 3 or 4 are much shorter. General consensus is that, if you take your time to explore/experiment it takes roughly 25 hours.

Whoops, yea I ment "BDs.." I knew of the armor peicing rounds, but I never had much success anyway...

These tips will help. Thank you.

I have already saved one LS and Harvest another...Should I contiune harvesting or saving?

Wow! I just got my replacement big daddy figurine in the mail! It came via UPS.

It came with the art book as well, I'm amazed that they followed through with this. It had been so long that I had forgotten about it!

Good job 2k for a great game and for keeping your promise with this figurine!

[quote name='kevzik']
I have already saved one LS and Harvest another...Should I contiune harvesting or saving?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it matters now. Pretty sure if you harvest even one, your stuck with the bad ending and can't get the "Little Sister Savior" achievement.

Harvesting the rest will give you more Adam and make the game a bit easier though since you can buy upgrades sooner.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think it matters now. Pretty sure if you harvest even one, your stuck with the bad ending and can't get the "Little Sister Savior" achievement.

Harvesting the rest will give you more Adam and make the game a bit easier though since you can buy upgrades sooner.[/quote]

Oh well. I definietly see myself playing it again sometime.

i am going for the good ending havent havested even one yet and trying to get all the acheivments so i am searching every thing and every where this is an awsome game i love playing it and i do Not normally play fps

You guys should know that the game does allow you to harvest one, and only one LS. If you stick to just one, and rescue ALL the rest, you will still get everything (story and ach wise) that you would have if you rescued every single one.

i recieved my replacement big daddy and art book today as well. it was such a treat to find on my doorstep after school today. very very cool 2k. way to take care of your customers. now to fix my original and have them battle!

Wow, I am so pissed, I was about to go kill that son of a bitch, Ryan, and I had to stop playing. This game is so exciting and has the best story of any game...ever. The more I play it and the more I get used the the gameplay, the more I like it. I definatly havn't played close to 20 hrs yet, after you kill ryan does a lot more happen?

[quote name='Mrbaseball2710']Wow, I am so pissed, I was about to go kill that son of a bitch, Ryan, and I had to stop playing. This game is so exciting and has the best story of any game...ever. The more I play it and the more I get used the the gameplay, the more I like it. I definatly havn't played close to 20 hrs yet, after you kill ryan does a lot more happen?[/QUOTE]

A good bit more, but not a ton.

I beat the game in 16 hours. I did a lot of exploring, saved all the little sisters and so forth, but I didn't go out of the way to find every audio diary etc.

Since I'm almost done with the game, will I be able to go back and do more research and find the gun upgrade stations. I don't want to play the game again and its only a rental, but I want to get as many achievements as possible.

Also, I'm still thinking about what happened after I killed Ryan. Absolutely amazing. This game could easily be a movie. (They better not make it one though!)

[quote name='Mrbaseball2710']Since I'm almost done with the game, will I be able to go back and do more research and find the gun upgrade stations. I don't want to play the game again and its only a rental, but I want to get as many achievements as possible.

Also, I'm still thinking about what happened after I killed Ryan. Absolutely amazing. This game could easily be a movie. (They better not make it one though!)[/QUOTE]

You get to a point where you cannot go back, so do what you need before getting too close to the end.

[quote name='erehwon']I got my art book and replacement figure today. Is it just me, or do the new figures seem heavier?[/quote]

My replacement that I received today most definitely feels heavier. It stands firm as well, my old one wobbles a little bit. Coloring on the replacement is a little different too - they look almost hand painted, so there's some variation.

[quote name='rabbitt']You get to a point where you cannot go back, so do what you need before getting too close to the end.[/quote]

When? I'm at the part where I'm looking for something in tenenbaums office.

I can't find a Big Daddy!!!!! I just walked around for 30 minutes looking for him. I just turned myself into a big daddy and the LS let me through the door, then I got the message saying I haven't dealt with all the LS's and I need the ADAM. I went on a hunt, feel like I've covered the whole place 3 times and never heard a BD or LS... Very annoying! Did this ever happen to you? what did you do?

[quote name='erehwon']I got my art book and replacement figure today. Is it just me, or do the new figures seem heavier?[/QUOTE]
Same. About damn time.

The artbook is fantastic. :D
It's much nicer to have in my hands than to have the digital version.

I am getting ready to start this game (probably tomorrow).

I don't really want to read through this and spoil anything, but I would like to get all the achievements in one go through.

So, what's the deal with the Big Daddy achievements? Can somebody tell me without spoiling anything else? Am I supposed to harvest one and save all the others? Is it a particular one?

Thanks.

[quote name='Rig']I am getting ready to start this game (probably tomorrow).

I don't really want to read through this and spoil anything, but I would like to get all the achievements in one go through.

So, what's the deal with the Big Daddy achievements? Can somebody tell me without spoiling anything else? Am I supposed to harvest one and save all the others? Is it a particular one?

Thanks.[/quote]
As someone who is also currently playing the game and trying to do the same thing, I've got one tip that you might like. Its about a setting and a style of play, so this shouldn't spoil the game, but I'll enclose it in the tag just to be safe.

Play on the Hard Difficulty and don't use Vita-Chambers, just save a lot. This is worth 140 points. I had decided not to use the chambers because I heard it was too easy with them. I typically just play on Medium so as to not aggrevate myself too much and I was really bummed when I learned that I could have gotten a bunch more points if I had just played on hard.

[quote name='Rig']I am getting ready to start this game (probably tomorrow).

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It is technically not possible to get all the achievements on one playthrough, but you can get almost all of them (all but one actually) by:

1) Playing on Hard
2) Not respawning (turning off Vitachambers)
3) Saving all the Little Sisters

I haven't done it yet, but I printed up a few checklists to make the 100% playthrough a bit easier:
- A list of all audio tapes
- A list of all tonics
- A list of all plasmids
- A list of all the weapon upgrade locations

A bit more spoilerish, are the two achievements that you can't get on "one playrthrough":

- Killing Cohen and taking his picture for "Irony"
- Letting Cohen Live, unlocking his room for "Found Cohen's Room" as well as a few others (as there's some stuff you need in his room for other achievements).

You can easily get the first by saving right when you face him, and choosing the other option after loading the save.

One of my favorite moments in the game is when

Sander Cohen comes out of his apartment and he screams "I'm fucking Sander Cohen!" - and then you put a shotgun blast in his face

What a great game

i saw you can change the difficulty at any time in the game i am about a 3rd of the way threw is it too late for me to change to hard and get the acheivments that way

thanks

[quote name='lordwow']A bit more spoilerish, are the two achievements that you can't get on "one playrthrough":

- Killing Cohen and taking his picture for "Irony"
- Letting Cohen Live, unlocking his room for "Found Cohen's Room" as well as a few others (as there's some stuff you need in his room for other achievements).
[/quote]

You can get everything in one playthrough (although I would NOT recommend trying to do it without vita chambers - talk about an exercise in frustration).
You let Cohen live but kill him in his apartment later and snap the pic of his dead body. I played through once and got 960 points (I played on Medium and used vita chambers like a mofo).

[quote name='lilredvampy']i saw you can change the difficulty at any time in the game i am about a 3rd of the way threw is it too late for me to change to hard and get the acheivments that way

thanks[/QUOTE]

Probably. Every game I've seen with difficulty achievements for beating it required playing from start to finish on that difficulty level without changing it.

Glad to hear people are getting their BDF replacements + art book. I'll check the mail when I get home to see if it's there. I can't wait!

[quote name='javeryh']You can get everything in one playthrough (although I would NOT recommend trying to do it without vita chambers - talk about an exercise in frustration). [/QUOTE]

Just save before going into a big fight. I managed 880pts without trying and used the vita chamber maybe twice on medium back when it came out.

Still looking forward to getting back to Rapture on hard in the near future.

going back a few pages about being scared, they definitely got me 2 or 3 times. the first i remember being in that one shower area where it gets steamy and when the steam disappears a splicer is just standing right in front of you. another time was when a splicer was playing dead and i tried to search, only to have her come at me. i also loved those white statued splicers, i give irrational bonus props for pulling those guys off so seamlessly.

big question here...
in poseidon plaza there are some stairs going down with grates
and in the area where you watch the person playing piano die
there is a booth seat with a plasmid there and i can't seam to get in or go down?
...........sorry for asking so much

thanks for the Cohan info

[quote name='javeryh']You can get everything in one playthrough (although I would NOT recommend trying to do it without vita chambers - talk about an exercise in frustration).
You let Cohen live but kill him in his apartment later and snap the pic of his dead body. I played through once and got 960 points (I played on Medium and used vita chambers like a mofo).
[/QUOTE]

Ahh, touche Javeryh, I didn't realize you could do that. I like most people I assume
killed him the first time, and got irony before I knew about the apartment

[quote name='Corvin']Just save before going into a big fight. I managed 880pts without trying and used the vita chamber maybe twice on medium back when it came out.

Still looking forward to getting back to Rapture on hard in the near future.[/QUOTE]

I tried to play through on hard with no vita chambers, I figured I'd save the game when I got to the medical pavilion. That was a mistake. Save early, save often...

bread's done
Back