Bizarre Creations Shutting Down on Friday

I actually thought they were already gone. I know Activision had been shopping them around for a while, but apparently no takers.

I'm not surprised, really. This was really the first salvo in Activision's killing of underperforming studios/brands, and the one-two punch of the financial failures of Blur and the new Bond game made it sort of inevitable for Bizarre.

Having played both Blur and Blood Stone, I can also say that I really found it tough to come up with any reaction beyond 'meh', so I can't say I'm real broken up about this. It sucks for the people that are out of a job, though the games they churned out were reasonable to a point that I don't imagine most of them won't end up somewhere else pretty easily.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']So this means no more Project Gotham Racing and Geometry Wars games or will Activision release them now?[/QUOTE]

Microsoft owns the PGR license. They have been rumoring a fifth game for awhile now but Bizarre was never attached to it. Geometry Wars is the property of Bizarre, however as for who acquires it or if Bizarre sells it is unknown.

I'm sure most will land on their feet, very talented racing studio. Codies still needs to make Grid 2 (first one didn't hold a candle to P.G.R.4.), strong rumors of P.G.R.5. (new studio maybe?), that and Criterion and Black Rock Studios are all plausible alternatives for them all.

In an era where they have dropped 50 Cent, Brutal Legend, and True Crime for not having strong sales potential, they seriously mishandled Bizarre by greenlighting Blur (too niche and hard to "get" for most people) and the Bond game was just an unfortunate situation that nobody would've really come out ahead because of MGM.

Definitely sad. I loved the PGR series and Geometry Wars. The Club was a underated game as well.
Blur was very fun, but I the masses never appreciated it and that was their downfall. The bad Bond game was the stake in the heart.

It's a shame MS didn't lower their salary and let them take as long as they wanted with future PGR titles rather then releasing them because PGR4 is still my favorite game on the 360 (Just head of the first TDU, TDU2 is pretty much the same thing but with a ton of launch problems).

Yeah I'm really gonna miss those guys. Hope those guys find jobs elsewhere and that's the most important thing.

bread's done
Back