Black Friday Surround Sound System

Pyloric

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Anybody know of any good deals on a surround sound system? I have never had any type of surround sound so I don't need anything too fancy or expensive. I've been looking at Sony, Samsung, and RCA Theater in a Boxes at Kmart/Walmart in the $100-$200 range. I just don't wanna get something that is horrible or will die quickly.

Is there any good black friday deals or other sales going on? Thanks!

I got the opposite problem. I know which sound system I want (Logitech Z-5500), I just cant find it for less than the $350+ every place wants for it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']There really isn't much quality variance amongst these $100-200 5.1 multimedia systems, if you ask me.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Just keep watching and buy the best priced one you find. Unless you can spend closer to $500 which would get you a decent entry level setup with 5.1 and an AVR.
Energy Take classic 5.1 speakers ~$250
leaves a couple hundred for whichever avr is on clearance or sale.

And I was ready to tell you about the 25% off HSU subs. Though even with that the one sub is more than your looking to spend.

[quote name='rmb']Agreed. Just keep watching and buy the best priced one you find. Unless you can spend closer to $500 which would get you a decent entry level setup with 5.1 and an AVR.
Energy Take classic 5.1 speakers ~$250
leaves a couple hundred for whichever avr is on clearance or sale.

And I was ready to tell you about the 25% off HSU subs. Though even with that the one sub is more than your looking to spend.[/QUOTE]I was looking at the Energy Take Classic 5.1's back over Memorial Day when I was putting together a surround sound setup. I decided to upgrade to the C-50's and C-C50 (center channel) over the speakers in the Take Classic 5.1, and picked up a ESW-V8 subwoofer to go with them. Sounds pretty good, IMO and it didn't break too much bank. Take Classic 5.1 is a good entry-level setup, though from all the people that were talking about comparisons between them, I thought the upgrade was worthwhile.

Speaker cables and banana plugs came from Monoprice. Picked the speakers up from WWStereo.com.

[quote name='shrike4242']I was looking at the Energy Take Classic 5.1's back over Memorial Day when I was putting together a surround sound setup. I decided to upgrade to the C-50's and C-C50 (center channel) over the speakers in the Take Classic 5.1, and picked up a ESW-V8 subwoofer to go with them. Sounds pretty good, IMO and it didn't break too much bank. Take Classic 5.1 is a good entry-level setup, though from all the people that were talking about comparisons between them, I thought the upgrade was worthwhile.

Speaker cables and banana plugs came from Monoprice. Picked the speakers up from WWStereo.com.[/QUOTE]
The 50's are better and a worthy step up. I've been spending quite a bit of time browsing the avsforums lately as I am quite certain shrike did before buying. Really want to upgrade. I just ignored those infinity primus 362's every time I saw them on SD's @fry's for $100 each speaker. Now that I have decided it is what I want the best I have found is $150 each.:bomb: You see the Jamo e660 deal wwstereo has? $380 for 4 towers and a center. Great deal!

[quote name='rmb']The 50's are better and a worthy step up. I've been spending quite a bit of time browsing the avsforums lately as I am quite certain shrike did before buying. Really want to upgrade. I just ignored those infinity primus 362's every time I saw them on SD's @fry's for $100 each speaker. Now that I have decided it is what I want the best I have found is $150 each.:bomb: You see the Jamo e660 deal wwstereo has? $380 for 4 towers and a center. Great deal![/QUOTE]I went from a post on SD about the Energy Take Classic 5.1's being on sale at WWStereo.com to the AVSforum about those speakers and the C50's, and for the differences in cost, as well as numerous people giving them the thumbs-up on them, it was well worth the small difference in cost. Only irritant I had was doing the DUH moment when trying to figure out how to mount the four speakers up in the back for the back four channels, though AperionAudio.com had some great speaker mounts that took care of the issue.

Those towers look great, though I needed bookshelf speakers for what I was trying to do. I may keep them in mind if I need a speaker upgrade in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']I went from a post on SD about the Energy Take Classic 5.1's being on sale at WWStereo.com to the AVSforum about those speakers and the C50's, and for the differences in cost, as well as numerous people giving them the thumbs-up on them, it was well worth the small difference in cost. Only irritant I had was doing the DUH moment when trying to figure out how to mount the four speakers up in the back for the back four channels, though AperionAudio.com had some great speaker mounts that took care of the issue.

Those towers look great, though I needed bookshelf speakers for what I was trying to do. I may keep them in mind if I need a speaker upgrade in the future.[/QUOTE]
I am sure they sound more full but I think I'd hold off for a bigger jump when the upgrade itch hits. Did you look at the ascend acoustics 170's bookshelves? I've read some good things on them and they look great for $280 shipped a pair for b-stock.

bread's done
Back