Black Mesa a Half-Life update

combatrhombus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I know it's been in development for years and I never played Half-Life so I'm excited for this update.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94128543

Here is the information directly for that page. Please go on Steam Greenlight and vote for this game to be on steam.

DESCRIPTION
Requires only a FREE installation of the 2007 Source SDK!

We are releasing Black Mesa to the world for FREE on September 14th! Give us a THUMBS UP to help our game get on Steam! When we are on Steam we’ll be able to reach more players and make installation and future updates easy for everyone!

Prepare for an experience that you will find Nostalgic, exciting and fresh. Black Mesa is a re-envisioning of Valve Software's seminal game Half-Life. You will re-visit the inaugural role of Gordon Freeman and his memorable journey through the Black Mesa Research Facility.

Expect tremendously detailed environments to explore, a huge cast of characters and experimental weaponry. All-new music, voice acting, choreography and added dialogue give way to a more expansive and immersive experience than ever before. In a nutshell, play Half-life the way we think it was meant to be played!

Features:
Play for FREE! You need not purchase anything!
8-10 Hours of single-player gameplay, up to the Lambda Core chapter.
Feast your eyes on over 2,000 custom Models and 5,000 custom textures – more than HL2!
Experience over 2,000 choreographed scenes and over 6,500 lines of dialogue from all new voice acting!
Immerse yourself in an all new soundtrack and over 2,300 custom sound effects!
Feel the impact of custom systems such as the Face Creation System, Custom Gib System, Deathcam and more.

Future Plans:
(w/ Steam) Stat tracking along with Steam Achievements
(w/ Steam) Updates to address community feedback
Future additions of Xen and BMDM! (Black Mesa Death Match)

Follow us!
@blackmesadevs
http://www.facebook.com/blackmesadevs
http://www.blackmesasource.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32_q_3es8E&feature=player_embedded

Half-Life was an amazing game, but Opposing Forces, I think was a much better game :D I want an updated version of that game more than HL1.

Black Mesa is different than HL1 or OP... They already made HL1 update.. its called HL source remastered. And if you think OP was better than HL1... then you clearly don't remember the games. While OP was fun, it was short and very narrow minded; not as much puzzles and more run and gun. What was great was Night Vison was added to the game for the tunnel parts that gave you a great feel and scare tactic in parts.

From my understand Black Mesa is HL1 according to their site:
What is Black Mesa?
Black Mesa is a total conversion of Half-Life 2, retelling the original game of Half-Life. Utilizing the Source engine and its endless array of possibilities and powers, Black Mesa will throw you into the world that started the Half-Life continuum and introduced Gordon Freeman, the gun-toting, bullet-dodging Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics. Check the "About the Mod" page for more details.​
I'm not sure if you seen the remastered HL:source, while it looks better then the original, it was still a hack job by Valve to get something out with source. Black Mesa looks amazing.

[quote name='j-cart']Half-Life was an amazing game, but Opposing Forces, I think was a much better game :D I want an updated version of that game more than HL1.[/QUOTE]

It was made by Gearbox! (Borderlands, upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines, other stuff)

[quote name='combatrhombus']I'm not sure if you seen the remastered HL:source, while it looks better then the original, it was still a hack job by Valve to get something out with source. Black Mesa looks amazing.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is it was just ported into Source, with very little changed beyond making it work.

I was really disappointed by this too. Felt like I wasted money buying HL:S, especially since I own everything for HL anyway (add-ons etc).

[quote name='WindyCityGamer']My understanding is it was just ported into Source, with very little changed beyond making it work.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Regarding Black Mesa, I remain skeptical. I waited for years and years... if anything, DNF was a lesson learned. I find it surprising that they went from no updates to "BAM! We're releasing it." Ang guess what? It's not even the entire game.

C'mon, guys. Win me over! It's free - so, maybe I shouldn't be "complaining". I'm bitter from having waited for so long. :)

I can't fucking believe this is FINALLY coming out.

Wouldn't normally be interested...but the price is right, so I'll check it out.

[quote name='hordak']Exactly. Regarding Black Mesa, I remain skeptical. I waited for years and years... if anything, DNF was a lesson learned. I find it surprising that they went from no updates to "BAM! We're releasing it." Ang guess what? It's not even the entire game.

C'mon, guys. Win me over! It's free - so, maybe I shouldn't be "complaining". I'm bitter from having waited for so long. :)[/QUOTE]
Well it's free. People did it on their own free time probably so just be happy someone took the time to get the game that far. I would imagine they are going to finish it, and it's been greenlit, holy fuck. Part of me wants to wait till they finish it.

Well it "made the cut" for Greenlight.

I hope Valve will kick these guys some cash or something. Seems they're doing what Valve should have done when they charged money for HL:S.

It's not the whole game though, right? Why release it at all then, why not wait until it's completed? Were they taking too much crap from people?

[quote name='keithp']It's not the whole game though, right? Why release it at all then, why not wait until it's completed?[/QUOTE]

Because it would never come out. Regardless of it being a "labor of love," this thing has had an absurd amount of time (about 8 years) to be done.

Also, it's not like anyone that's interested has never played HL before. It's not a new story or anything.......I'm just happy someone took the time to do this and I'd gladly play it cuz I love me some nostalgic gaming.

Well it seems this was released today, you can either get it via torrent or direct download from their site.

I don't see it on Steam, so it probably has to go through their certification process first (unless there's another way of getting at it?).

i jsut want to say i love remakes but i do sor tof expect like a new area or the puzzles remixed like in lets say the zelda 64 master sword edition or Dark souls PTDE (which added a totally new area!)

thats why i really hate a lot of these ps2 remakes because they are nothing more than a higher res and slight texture update.

anyways will give it a try, just found the legal torrent. :)

[quote name='hustletron']Also, it's not like anyone that's interested has never played HL before. It's not a new story or anything.......I'm just happy someone took the time to do this and I'd gladly play it cuz I love me some nostalgic gaming.[/QUOTE]

I've only played the first ten or fifteen minutes of HL1. I'll be downloading this for sure. Razz me for not going through it, but actually beating HL2, I'm well aware its completely ass backwards and strange, but I had read up on the story of HL1 before playing 2.

[quote name='combatrhombus']I'm waiting for this to be released on steam. Has anyone tried it yet?[/QUOTE]

It's great so far. I did not get into the HEV suit yet though but I spent some time walking around. Going on my list ASAP.

I have this (I think I got it off shacknews, not Steam, but it fires up from Steam just fine) and I'm impressed so far. I played the original Half Life on PC (and an unreleased version on Dreamcast) so I do have nostalgia for the game. As for it feeling rough, well its a fan made mod, running on an engine that is known for lacking graphically, so with that considered, I'd say it feels and plays incredibly well. The biggest drawback for me so far has been the loading times (they were always in issue in the original as well). I'd say if you have even the slightest interest you should check it out.

bread's done
Back