Black Sigil: Blade of the Exile (Out Now!)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't really think I like this game. About 6 hours in. It just seems like a chore to play thus far. The non-dungeon stuff is fine, if derivative, but the battle system really kind of drags it down when coupled with the high encounter rate. Games with high encounter rates simply shouldn't have random battles that take a relatively long time to complete and are slower than molasses. Compare how long this game's random encounters last compared to other games with high encounter rates to see what I mean. I'll try to stomach it at least until I get Devil Survivor in the mail in the hopes that I like it better.[/QUOTE]

i almost upgraded my account to get devil sur. shipped today from gamefly (would cost 5 bucks to upgrade) BUT some of the reviews are not that good (some call it a graphic novel where all you do is talk with some battles in between)

andi really need to get on the ball playing the backlog of games i have now..

Super robot final fronter
pokemon plat (still sealed doh)
dark something (that classic rpg game)
and about 10 other rpg games

(playing ninjatown now : ) )

and juist picked up

Transformers 2
lego battles
and
sims racing for free using coupons

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't really think I like this game. About 6 hours in. It just seems like a chore to play thus far. [/QUOTE]

I've been getting that feeling so far too. I've picked it up maybe five times so far and am only about an hour maybe two in. I just can't seem to sit down long enough to make progress due to the high random encounters and the duration of said encounters.

I'm hoping that once more characters are added to my party and my levels increase that things will become much faster. But I agree, it is a very slow start.

[quote name='rothgar24']I was waiting for the DOK impressions after the Suikoden flaws. I've had black sigil and devil survivor in my Amazon cart today and I think I'm going to go with devil survivor. Maybe I'll goozex Black Sigil eventually...[/QUOTE]

Wow, someone actually listens to my opinions? :lol:

I hope Devil Survivor is good. It's been getting excellent reviews, but so did Persona 4. It's been "preparing for shipment" on Amazon for about a day, hopefully gets here before the weekend. I played another hour or so of this game and it's not really getting any better.

EDIT: Also, Aurora is a dumb bitch. I HATE games that use stupidity to move the plot along.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pete5883']It wasn't the length.[/QUOTE]

So you still remember me being the only person on the boards who didn't like it. :lol: I personally found it inferior to 3 in many ways, including the characters, the new types of dungeon styles, the story, the presentation, and the pacing. It really felt like, to me, that it was less than the sum of its parts. I quit at like the second to last dungeon because I wasn't having any fun any more and hadn't been for hours. I really don't mind long RPGs at all as long as the content is good. Same for short RPGs; Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is like 4 hours long and it was still a blast. And an RPG Maker game. That still manages to be far superior and with less bugs than this game.

This game (Black Sigil) is also just not fun. Because I really hate giving up on games even if I'm not having fun, I'm still playing it, but I also have it up on Amazon so that if someone buys it, I can give myself some mercy and be forced to give up on it. :lol: I tend to give up on games hours and hours after I realize I'm just not enjoying it anymore (see: Persona 4, FF12). My previous complaints still stand, and I'll add a few more. The pacing is horrible. It always feels like you are rushed and on the run and can never really enjoy any of the towns without being forced to leave (often with little warning). Supposedly the game opens up later on, but it's been over 12 hours. The story and characters are uninteresting and not endearing at all. Like I said, Aurora is a fucking dumbass and the plot is often moved along simply due to her stupidity, like a crutch because they couldn't come up with any decent ideas for the plot. The other main female seriously looks like a dude in her portraits.

The dungeons are too damn long considering the encounter rate and the length of the battles. The battle system is also poorly implemented; though the general idea is a good one, the execution is severely flawed. In most of the battles only one of your guys can attack normally because he's the only one who can reach the enemy thanks to the horrible encounter maps. This "review" here explains it a lot better than I am willing to: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5379721&bId=8995028
Your party's actions in Trigger were somewhat determined by their proximity to the enemy, but that was something the computer handled automatically. It never got in the way of your actions; if your heroes were too far away, they'd simply leap across the screen, take a swipe at their target, and jump back to their starting location. Sigil, on the other hand, forces you to stand right next to your foe in order to attack. But wait: you also have to give other combatants a wide enough berth in order to move past you -- and most of Sigil's battlefields consist of narrow passageways that cause complete bottlenecks. In the vast majority of battles, at least one party member ends up stuck behind his comrades, unable to approach any enemies and basically being dead weight.

Of course, enemies have little problem launching the ranged and magical attacks that are so rare and precious for your own team. Your party spends an awful lot of battle time impotently soaking up damage while waiting for the sole character who can actually reach the enemy to take his next turn.

And yes, despite what people on Gamefaqs say, this game was HEAVILY influenced by Chrono Trigger in its design (not so much its story, but the story is still very cliched). I'd recommend reading the rest of the "review" I linked to if you're still at all interested in this game after my post.

EDIT: I just want to add that I am currently past the part that the reviewer stopped playing at. He is correct in that they dump you at a place with no return where you can't buy any healing items... and your healer cannot use any magic. I didn't have as hard of a time as him (he notes he had to revert to an older save because he ran out of healing items, I didn't have to do that), but it is still a pain in the ass dungeon that is by far the largest and most annoying of any of the ones thus far in the game. The dungeon would have been bad enough even if you could use healing magic. At any rate, the reviewer wasn't missing much (from what I can tell) by stopping play.

DoK not liking a game: shocking.

DoK not liking animu Persona: extra good super +100000000, removing some prior negatives.

[quote name='pete5883']It wasn't the length.[/QUOTE]
Well that's good news for you. :lol:

I usually hate RPGs, well not really hate, just dislike. Persona 3/4 are completely different though, I'm actually going to finish Persona 3 and I rarely complete an RPG.

Well to remain on topic, it's disheartening to read the comments regarding Black Sigil from you guys. I'm just going to wait until it is cheaper to pick it up. I've ordered Devil Survivor over Black Sigil which I think is the right choice.

I was just going to post that I've had zero problems with glitches or bugs... and the game inexplicably freezes on me when I try to examine a bookshelf, losing about an hour of progress due to the lack of hard save points. That's it, I'm done, especially since the game was devoid of enjoyment for me.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So you still remember me being the only person on the boards who didn't like it. :lol:[/QUOTE]
The rant was pretty substantial.
[quote name='yukine']Well that's good news for you. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif

No hatred welling up for Aurora? Really?

Gameplay a 4/10 yet you give the game a 7/10 overall. Interesting. And you admittedly run from most of the battles yourself. I don't know how someone could enjoy an RPG where you just run from most of the battles because they're so annoying.

Yeah, sorry I didn't hate Aurora. As for the gameplay, I mostly didn't encounter too many problems myself until the last five hours of gameplay or so while doing a bunch of side stuff which tended to really get on my nerves (I think I reset my DS about 15 times). If it's possible to encounter that kind of stuff early on and somewhat frequently I would have quit the game hands down. It's more or less ment to serve as a warning that it can happen and I'm not entirely sure what causes it. It more or less started happening when I decided to check what the highest number an attribute can be (255) and I tested it with speed on Kairu since the game has a build in infinite money cheat more or less.

The final score is pretty much an average of the rest. I definitely enjoyed the game, but the game needs some obvious fixes. I also have a higher tolerance for shit than most people, so yeah running from battle doesn't bother me and this isn't the first game I've done it in either. It often keeps me low level and bumps up the difficulty on the easier games which I tend to enjoy a little more.

EDIT: If something in the review doesn't make sense, needs further explaining, or is a little slopper feel free to comment about it and I'll review and fix it.

Yeah, I have a lower tolerance level for shit than I used to. When I was younger, I probably would have tolerated this game more. But I've become much more jaded over the years and I can no longer tolerate bullshit in games anymore. It was a good review for the most part, though I disagree with some things, which I already pointed out.

Ok, I just got throught the Underwater Cavern after the House of Black Stone--I think my fondness for this game is wearing off. Does it get any better? There were points in the those 2 places I wanted to throw my DS, due to not being able to use magic and having encounters every 4 steps. Not to mention the idiotic controls where you have to spam the "A" button to catch those elevators! And I understand your hatred for Aurora DoK, but I just think she's goofy and playful more than stupid, but I definitely see where you're coming from. Your avatar kinda looks like her, which I find amusing though!

That was probably the worst dungeon in the game and made me put down the game for a little while. As for it getting better, I think it does but it will probably be a couple hours before the story begins to pick up to something a little more interesting.

[quote name='keithp']Ok, I just got throught the Underwater Cavern after the House of Black Stone--I think my fondness for this game is wearing off. Does it get any better? There were points in the those 2 places I wanted to throw my DS, due to not being able to use magic and having encounters every 4 steps. Not to mention the idiotic controls where you have to spam the "A" button to catch those elevators! And I understand your hatred for Aurora DoK, but I just think she's goofy and playful more than stupid, but I definitely see where you're coming from. Your avatar kinda looks like her, which I find amusing though![/QUOTE]

My avatar is the female hero from Dragon Quest IV.

The House of Black Stone was a horrible dungeon. And not really even because you couldn't use magic, as I had just enough healing items to survive. The design and the random encounters combined were just horrible. I was thinking of just stopping there but I went a bit further, to
Genufa
, which is where the game glitched on me and I lost an hour or so of progress because there was no save point since I last saved. And I hate Aurora because she basically moves the plot along with her stupidity. You get in trouble at every turn in the first few towns once you leave Bel Lenora just because she is stupid enough to use magic, when they know BEFORE THEY ENTER THE FIRST TOWN that magic is taboo. She does it again and again even though EVERY SINGLE TIME it has gotten her in big trouble. That's just poor plotting, plain and simple. Already sold this game on Amazon and shipped it today. Thank christ, for my sanity.

bread's done
Back