Blacklight Retribution Open Beta

SEH

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
The beta is now open to all. You can sign up and download the client (3.5GB) from here:

http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/

A friend and I have been playing it quite a bit and it's a blast. It's kind of sad actually that this game, a F2P FPS can get so much right, while $60 games can't. It's definitely worth checking out.

I did a spot light on it awhile back. I played it for 30 mins yesterday. I'm down to play some tonight - What time you guys playing?

We don't really have a set time. Most of my friends and I are usually on all night long playing sporadically.

[quote name='SEH']We don't really have a set time. Most of my friends and I are usually on all night long playing sporadically.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember them days :)

Tribes Ascend has been taking up a lot of game time. I want to give this game a shot since I've been following it since alpha.

I will be devoting my Thursdays to it starting today. I did about 35 mins today. Will be back on next week. :)

Xfire: Megazell
PerfectWorld Games: Megazell

I really like this game, so I figured I'd put $10 into it to support the devs. I played to level 10 so I could unlock the ability to purchase ZEN (the in-game real money currency). It's pretty much 100 ZEN = $1. That said, I decided to look at what ZEN gets you. To purchase just the base of a gun permanently (no attachments, nothing but just the gun) its 1000 ZEN. 10 fuckING DOLLARS!?

I understand this is a free game and their goal is to make money through micro-transactions, but fuck me sideways. $10 for just the base of a gun is absolutely insane. In order to fully put together a gun it'll wind up costing you like $30. fuck that. Guess I'll just grind it out and make all my purchases with the credits earned from playing.

[quote name='SEH']I really like this game, so I figured I'd put $10 into it to support the devs. I played to level 10 so I could unlock the ability to purchase ZEN (the in-game real money currency). It's pretty much 100 ZEN = $1. That said, I decided to look at what ZEN gets you. To purchase just the base of a gun permanently (no attachments, nothing but just the gun) its 1000 ZEN. 10 fuckING DOLLARS!?

I understand this is a free game and their goal is to make money through micro-transactions, but fuck me sideways. $10 for just the base of a gun is absolutely insane. In order to fully put together a gun it'll wind up costing you like $30. fuck that. Guess I'll just grind it out and make all my purchases with the credits earned from playing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just get the stuff that comes free. It's probably better for you to wait til they cement their purchasing plans for their stuff though.

At lot of f2p FPSmmos do that piece meal stuff then change and give you complete weapons for purchase and/or little gold.

Alright, I'm totally blown away by the developers for this game. Not only did the latest patch add new maps, but they fixed the memory leak causing horrendous pings, increased the amount of GP gained for playing games, and decreased the cost (both ZEN and GP) of guns. Now they just need to reduce the cost of armor and attachments and all should be good (guns cost $5.50 now, down from $10 but attachments are still $3~ which seems odd).

I wasn't a big fan of the original blacklight, so im a little skeptical about playing this. It was super unbalanced and with a F2P mechanic, I have a hard to thinking this will be better =/.

[quote name='Darknuke']I wasn't a big fan of the original blacklight, so im a little skeptical about playing this. It was super unbalanced and with a F2P mechanic, I have a hard to thinking this will be better =/.[/QUOTE]

The original sucked hard. It had the worst mouse control of any PC game I've ever played. That said, this one is fantastic. You can spend all the money you want, but if you don't have some skill, it wont matter. Played against someone last night who clearly dropped some cash (had all the gear, camo, etc...), yet I dominated them every single time with nothing but my basic gun.

Just played with the most hilariously awesome moron of all time. I was playing TKOTH, so KDR isnt really a factor. Anyways, this dude on the other team is like 24-5 and is raging HARD on his team becuase they're getting stomped since my team is actually playing the objectives and capping points.

This dude loses and in the lobby chat starts losing his shit about how he always has that KDR yet somehow loses most of his games. I told him to go play DM or TDM where KDR matters, otherwise play the objectives and maybe he'd win. He gets even more angry and asks me to 1v1 him. I'm pretty confident in my FPS skills, so I accepted. We hopped into an empty DM server. I dominated him 11-2 (he doesn't say a single word the entire time which was funny for someone who talked so much in lobby chat). He immediately left as soon as someone else joined the server and promptly deleted me from his friends list.

Kids...

I was really enjoying this game, but it's gotten pretty lame. Now that people are reaching higher levels its getting really un-fun. There is soooo much more mech and rocket spam. It's really boring to spawn and immediately die because each team has like five mechs.

Oh, and since it's free to play, it's pretty much aimbot city now. Every game I join there is always at least one person blatantly cheating.

The most recent patch fixed my back to back crashes. I played some Team Deathmatch but have yet to see Mechs.

Heads-up for anyone who plays this, they're giving out bonus GP this weekend for every hour your play. They'll apparently tally it up and add it to your account next week.

bread's done
Back