BlackSite: Area 51 - Gen. Discussion & Info

psychobrawler

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)

Features

Modern day fears come to life in a familiar, yet extraordinary setting in BlackSite™: Area 51®. A small American town is swarming with alien life. The government is desperate, struggling to contain secrets so terrible, they can no longer be kept. Everything hinges on the actions of Aeran Pierce, a former Special Forces assassin thrown into the most explosive moment in American history.

• You are the leader: Lead well and your living, breathing Special Forces squad will rally in battle. Waver and their morale will sink, affecting their tactics and their will to fight.
  • Intuitive squad-level combat: Armed with the ability to issue squad commands using the press of a single button, you have the power, authority, and duty to issue orders to your troops. Plant C-4 explosives, snipe enemies from long range, or take control of vehicles or weapons left behind by the wounded.
  • Drive, shoot, and ride: Commandeer civilian cars, trucks and ATVs in your quest to keep America safe. Drive the latest military vehicles or take a position in the gunner’s chair in daring, low-level helicopter raids.
  • Online multiplayer modes: Play co-op with a friend through the story. Competitive play includes a variety of traditional online modes, such as "Death Match," "Team Death Match," and "Capture the Flag," as well as all-new unique multiplayer modes, such as "Human vs. Reborn" and "Siege."
Finally, a sci-fi FPS on 360.... Oh, wait a minute...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/757/757984p1.html

My prediction is a FPS as mediocre as Area 51 on Xbox, but who knows. What do you guys think?

Could be alright...the first one had some cool guns. But since I'm already planning on playing Halo 3 and The Darkness (and I'm working on Resistance right now), I doubt I'll get to this one.

Midway needs a new engine or art design. All of their games has the same feel (engine) or the same look (art design) I'll rent this as I know it won't be the greatest game ever.

Wow the screen shots are better than I expected, that's if they are ingame shots and not cutscenes. Probobly won't buy until its budget and/or if it gets good enough reviews.

[quote name='psychobrawler']

My prediction is a FPS as mediocre as Area 51 on Xbox, but who knows. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

I agree. I still can't figure out why everyone was falling all over Area 51 the game was just blah all around. I think the only reason everyone talked so highly of it was because it came at a time when there were very few new FPSs...

[quote name='Kaijufan']Why isn't Midway anybody developing a Area 51 light gun game for the Wii.[/QUOTE]

I dunno man, I just don't know.

I loved the first and felt that it was one of the most underrated FPS of an already inundated system full of FPSes. It flew under the radar, but was really really good story-wise and action/gameplay-wise. There was great voice acting as well from David Duchovney and others and is another one of my favorite FPSes that got totally blown over. If you haven't already, then you should pick up the first since its cheap and a real blast to play. can't wait for this one.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I dunno man, I just don't know.[/quote]
Yeah it seems like that's the most obvious genre of game to release on the Wii, yet the only one coming out is a minigame in Wii Play? I just don't see how that's possible.
A new Area 51 or House of the Dead would be perfect since they could also include ports of the arcade games.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Yeah it seems like that's the most obvious genre of game to release on the Wii, yet the only one coming out is a minigame in Wii Play? I just don't see how that's possible.
A new Area 51 or House of the Dead would be perfect since they could also include ports of the arcade games.[/QUOTE]

I want need to have a light gun game and that zapper shell for the wiimote.

Area 51 on the Xbox was box fun AND innovative. Tons of awesome original new weapons. Some rather unique environments, too, not just hallways like most FPSes, but big open areas, catwalks, uniquely designed laboratories.

Definitely a very solid 7/10 to 8/10 game. I'm hoping Blacksite just improves on it.

The news that this will feature on-line co-op has my interest up significantly from my first impressions. Could be enough to make this a buy for me. I'll be looking forward to a demo.

i'm hearing that the demo should be up within 24 hours.. i'm not holding my breath.. i'll be very suprised if it shows up.

//edit: IGN is saying this Friday (today technically since it's 137am)

[quote ]May 10, 2007 - A few months ago, IGN had the good fortune to take Midway's BlackSite: Area 51 out for a test run. The short (but oh so sweet demo) was just a taste of the alien-stomping action that awaits gamers when BlackSite ships this fall. Now gamers can experience the same level in an updated demo set to release to the public on Xbox Live Marketplace this Friday.[/quote]

Well I am looking forward to this cause Aliens, Conspiracy Theories and Squad based Shooters are like my 3 favorite things.

Does anyone know if they also released a PC demo of this? I don't have live but I would like to try this out.

I'm quite excited about this game. I was all set to hate Area 51 for Xbox and never rented it or anything, but a friend of mine had it so for the heck of it I borrowed the game... and was blown away. The production values were quite high. Everything was done well. I only hope this game improves upon the first.

I cannot believe my stinking 360 is still gone for repairs! I need to download this demo and play before the Halo 3 beta comes out, because I'll probably be doing nothing but that about then!

Alright.. gave it a spin.. I love it.

Seems to be a mixture of FPS and strategy-ish (think of Republic Commando - you have a generic 'action' button. Aim at a door and hit the right bumper, they run to the door and open it).

Interaction with the environment is high and the AI seems to be well aware of the objects you shoot. For instance, I shot at the big board displaying the gas prices outside of a gas station and one of my squad members said "Yeah, I don't like those prices either." I shot at the gas pumps, causing them to explode, and he said "Watch out for the pumps!". Lights can be shot out (even lights above stores that display the store name). Squad mates took cover without me having to tell them to do so, so I don't have to worry about my squadmates when the shit hits the fan. Rain bounced off the gun I was holding, which was cool. It splashed in the same five or six random spots so I could tell that it wasn't anything special, but it was still a cool effect to have. The demo ends at a high point, when the aforementioned shit hits the proverbial fan.. think of the FEAR demo. Big daddy comes crashing down and the demo ends.

I can tell from this brief demo that this is absolutely a day one title for me. September can't come soon enough.

//edit: And to anyone hanging on the fence about it, I would like to point out that this game is confirmed to have co-op campaign over XBox Live. In addition, it includes deathmatch, team deathmatch, and capture the flag.

the fact that the demo is so brief was dissapointing, but what was there was quality. Let's just hope this isn't one of those "let's pack everything we've got into 5 min and blow people away" type things that isn't representative of the actual game.

We should be thankful there's even a playable demo of it, it's a "demo teaser".. the game's still four or five months away, so they're being very generous in giving us a demo.

the fact that the demo is so brief was dissapointing, but what was there was quality. Let's just hope this isn't one of those "let's pack everything we've got into 5 min and blow people away" type things that isn't representative of the actual game.

That said, it was very good. Midway surprises with quality sometimes. I really liked the lighting and the mood. Inside the gas station looked very nice.

Played for about 5min before I went to work. I gotta say, I'm impressed, the graphics were pretty good (not Gears of War good), and the gameplay was tight. You have the option to give some commands to your squad of 2, like go there, open the door, kill that thing...etc. Overall, this game wasn't on my radar at all but now, I'm hyped.

I'm sold , based on what little I played .
I like the 1st game and this one didn't disappoint .

Truth be told I'll probably like this more than , gasp , Halo 3 .

very nice demo!

as Scorch said, the interactivity of the game is awesome. I like how the squadmates tried to keep me in line when I goofed off and shot around by saying Pierce! You're gonna give away our position, knock it off! And I don't know how to pronounce the main character's first name (Aeran I think), but if it's "Aaron" then 24 fans should be amused.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You have the option to give some commands to your squad of 2, like go there, open the door, kill that thing...etc. [/quote]

You do? All I saw is that you point at something and hit the right bumper and it gives whatever command is associated with that. Is there a menu where you can choose those commands, or were you just mentioning what I talked about?

[quote name='Scorch']You do? All I saw is that you point at something and hit the right bumper and it gives whatever command is associated with that. Is there a menu where you can choose those commands, or were you just mentioning what I talked about?[/quote]

Well that's basically it. It associates an auto-command to whatever you point at.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well that's basically it. It associates an auto-command to whatever you point at.[/quote]

That's what I thought (what I mentioned in my first post).. I just thought maybe you had found a menu or something.

..that looks like Kratos (god of war)

kratos_GoW2.jpg

The demo is short but sweet! This game is turning out better than I expected. Same thing happened to me with last gen's version. I totally blew it off as "just another FPS", but picked it up at a B2G1 sale and played the hell out of it. Definitely looking forward to this one!

Wow...that was pretty damn cool. I really wanna see what the morale system is all about, if that's even a palpable gameplay element. It seemed like a cool idea anyway. Some really nice looking environments, but I'd hope it's not all in the dark.

It was alright. It felt arcadish in some way. Would I buy it? Eh, maybe for $20-$30. Nothing really sticks out from this FPS from other FPS games.

Is it just me, or is melee a 1-hit kill on anything? Or did the A.I just light up the enemy enough before I got to the alien? Also, anyone notice the footsoldier aliens had american flags on their arms?

I probably wouldnt of looked at or considered this game since im not a big fan of the whole scifi alien thing, but thanks to the marketplace and free demos Im pretty hyped about it. The demo definitely left me wanting more, and the online modes should be a good touch.

[quote name='Sockey']The Framerate was HORRENDOUS. If they fix that in the final game I would consider buying it.[/QUOTE]

How can we have such low-frame rate in next gen games? I wouldn't have released the demo in its current state; it's going to scare the customers away.

bread's done
Back