Blade Runner finally on DVD remastered!!!

HumanSnatcher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://slashdot.org/articles/06/05/30/1533216.shtml

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/30/film.bladerunner.reut/index.html

Its about damn time! The CNN article is hella more informative, obviously.

But for the people too lazy click the CNN link:

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic "Blade Runner," one of the first movies to appear on DVD in 1997, is being restored and remastered for a brief reissue in September.

The DVD, featuring the 1992 "director's cut," will be deleted after four months, and replaced by a 25th-anniversary "final cut," which Warner Home Video is billing as Scott's "definitive new version" of the film. (Warner Home Video is a unit of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

After a limited theatrical release, the newly spruced-up "Runner" will be released in a multidisc special edition DVD that also will include the original theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut.

Warner said specifics about the two DVD editions will be announced later.
The director's cut first came out on DVD before optimal formatting standards had been established, said Doug Pratt, editor of the DVD-LaserDisc Newsletter.

"Shortly afterwards, it went into moratorium. The early adopters who bought the title have long since wished to see it upgraded, while other fans, who came into DVDs later on, have been unable to find it at all. It is the only 'big' sci-fi spectacle currently unavailable on DVD," Pratt said.

"Runner" stars Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah and won plaudits -- as well as two Oscar nominations -- for its dark, bleak vision of the future. Ford heads the cast as Rick Deckard, a futuristic cop -- the film is set in 2019 Los Angeles -- who needs to kill four errant human clones who hijack a spaceship back to Earth after escaping from exile in an off-world colony.

The film opened in theaters in summer 1982, and while it grossed only $26.2 million, it quickly became a cult classic. The film is based on the novel by late science fiction writer Philip K. Dick, whose prose also led to such films as "Total Recall," "Minority Report" and "Paycheck."

To be honest, this is the only movie I'll buy a double dip or so of...

My friend sent me that link, and I swear I had a nerdgasm. This is some of the best news I've heard in a while (along with the Tick, it's good times).

I also just finsihed the book a week ago.

Wait... how can it be a 25th Anniversary edition when it's only released 24 years after the movie was put out? I say delay it for a year for accuracy!!111

[quote name='Richlough']I wish it had the Magnum P.I. esque narrated version as well .[/QUOTE]

The dvd will, and I'm happy that artifact of studio interference will be preserved for everyone to see.

""Runner" will be released in a multidisc special edition DVD that also will include the original theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut."

The Theatrical version was much better. I hate the idea that Deckard is a replicant... it makes the whole mission retarded then.

Its like finding out that in the show 24; Jack Bauer in the end is a cyborg and his family doesnt exist. Or a time travel movie where they travel back in time and kill the inventor of the time machine. Its retarded.

I crapped my pants when I heard this yesterday. I'll buy every single version they put on DVD. Anything will be better than what they've done so far with the movie.

And god oh god, PLEASE let one of the local theatres play it during that "limited theatrical run" that's mentioned.

This will please my mom and boyfriend greatly- he's had her VHS copy (with the narration) for several months now, trying to get his DVD burning program to get the aspect ratio right.:D

[quote name='furyk']""Runner" will be released in a multidisc special edition DVD that also will include the original theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut."[/quote]Good to know-- that may very well be the version I'll end up buying.

Since when has the DVD been so hard to find? It's been kicking around the Wal-Mart dump bins for years here. I believe it was in the super discount $3.88 sale last Black Friday too, or maybe it was the year before.

[quote name='JediJones']Since when has the DVD been so hard to find? It's been kicking around the Wal-Mart dump bins for years here. I believe it was in the super discount $3.88 sale last Black Friday too, or maybe it was the year before.[/QUOTE]

Exactly where I got my copy.

We need a poll for who like the Theatrical Version ie VoiceOver my favorite and the only way I will even watch the movie or The Directors Cut ie No Voiceover.

bread's done
Back