BlazBlue (PS3) for $20 @ Amazon

[quote name='urmomlikesme']Why do people hate gamestop so much? Lately they've been a great retailer with great trade in offers and decent deals online.[/QUOTE]

probably because even with their great online deals lately they have cancelled like my past 3 orders.

Some of their so called "brand new" games are actually repackaging, and often the employees just take the disc from their display shelf and slap into the game case and sell you for the price of a sealed brand new game. I had horrible experience with them before, so I stopped doing business with them for years now.

[quote name='urmomlikesme']Why do people hate gamestop so much? Lately they've been a great retailer with great trade in offers and decent deals online.[/QUOTE]

They actively work against the industry and consumers via the trade-in system. Publishers/developers lose money, customers get screwed.

Here's a great example. Remember that "Trade in X games, get $X extra"? The games had be to worth more than $5 though and wouldn't you know it, somehow most of their trade in values went under $5 even for games that weren't horribly old. That's just the beginning of it.

I'm still on the fence about BlazBlue, though. I love fighting games but I may wait till CS comes out.

Well, for those that care for the story then CT will be great for understanding Blazblue universe.

I'm getting it now and wait for CS to drop price in the future.

People hate Gamestop because all they can be are money hungry douche bags. You get twice as much return selling your games on Amazon or eBay.

Okay you guys have compelling arguments to why u guys hate gamestop. My overall experience hasn't been that bad but that's just my opinion and I respect your guys opinion

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

The new version comes out in July in Japan and will probably come out soon after in the US. Might be better just to wait for that version at this point.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']The new version comes out in July in Japan and will probably come out soon after in the US. Might be better just to wait for that version at this point.[/QUOTE]

Considering the list of changes they made to each character, I concur. Seriously, they made A LOT of changes to each character.

[quote name='SDC']They actively work against the industry and consumers via the trade-in system. Publishers/developers lose money, customers get screwed.[/QUOTE]

And Best Buy, Wal-Mart , Toys R'Us, Target and AMAZON have not done a "trade-in" program? :roll:

[quote name='exileinoblivion']probably because even with their great online deals lately they have cancelled like my past 3 orders.[/QUOTE]

Was there a particular reason for the cancellations?

When i went into Gamestop and they offered me 3.00 trade in credit for a used game they were selling for 37.99 and the new one for 39.99. Thats whats wrong. They will not last long with these business practices. The days are numbered for Gamestop. The bigger they are the harder they fall.

That's my biggest gripe with Gamestop. Taking a display case off the shelves and telling me since the game hasn't been played its new. I mean sell me it as the price of a used game rather then putting a sticker on it and charging me for a sealed copy. This is why unless a game is rare or out of print, I won't buy anything Gamestop has on display. Its either you have a sealed copy or I go elsewhere.

[quote name='DragonSlayerX']That's my biggest gripe with Gamestop. Taking a display case off the shelves and telling me since the game hasn't been played its new. I mean sell me it as the price of a used game rather then putting a sticker on it and charging me for a sealed copy. This is why unless a game is rare or out of print, I won't buy anything Gamestop has on display. Its either you have a sealed copy or I go elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Then they scold you and think you are some crazy person for thinking that way whatever.... Just to avoid any confusion i agree with you 100%

[quote name='nddave']When i went into Gamestop and they offered me 3.00 trade in credit for a used game they were selling for 37.99 and the new one for 39.99. Thats whats wrong. They will not last long with these business practices. The days are numbered for Gamestop. The bigger they are the harder they fall.[/QUOTE]

It is called choices. You can take the $3 and give the game to GameStop or go to ebay and sell it for much more. Some people would take the $3 to avoid the hassle, others like you will not. A week ago there was a promotion giving people 50% bonus trade in value and some people got great trade ins ($40ish for L4D2, Halo ODST, etc) and I do not recall people bitching about it.

The days are numbered for GameStop? Their stock went up based on higher than expected sales on the last quarter:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...mestop_19bus.ART0.State.Edition1.3cf245a.html

[quote name='DragonSlayerX']That's my biggest gripe with Gamestop. Taking a display case off the shelves and telling me since the game hasn't been played its new. I mean sell me it as the price of a used game rather then putting a sticker on it and charging me for a sealed copy. This is why unless a game is rare or out of print, I won't buy anything Gamestop has on display. Its either you have a sealed copy or I go elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Valid point.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']The new version comes out in July in Japan and will probably come out soon after in the US. Might be better just to wait for that version at this point.[/QUOTE]

I'm just waiting for the new version as well. I already have a backlog like many on CAG, so I don't mind waiting and saving my $20 for the new version instead.

[quote name='nddave']When i went into Gamestop and they offered me 3.00 trade in credit for a used game they were selling for 37.99 and the new one for 39.99. Thats whats wrong. They will not last long with these business practices. The days are numbered for Gamestop. The bigger they are the harder they fall.[/QUOTE]

I don't trade in games, but as sad as it is they're not going to go out of business with this model any time soon. This is essentially the same model that college bookstores use and it's been working very, very well for them. At least, it was back when I was in college. True, in recent years people have been able to use Amazon or local sources to actually get a decent deal on their books, but the bookstores still continue to do great business.

If anything they're also in even worse condition than Gamestop too and you're dealing with much higher prices. A book will sell for $120 or so new, maybe $80-90 used and when you sell it back at the end of the semester you'll be lucky to get $15 for it. When you can sell a book to a friend for half of the used price and you both come out significantly ahead you know the system is broken. Still, for the time being at least, they do tremendous business. I doubt that Gamestop will have any problems with it either.

On topic though: I agree. I was thinking about picking it up at those prices, but with the new version coming out so soon I think I'm going to wait and see. Hopefully it will go down in price soon as well.

Had $10 cred and I've been needing a good fighter on my PS3 for a while to play with the gf so this is a no-brainer for me. Thanks OP!

[quote name='exileinoblivion']probably because even with their great online deals lately they have cancelled like my past 3 orders.[/QUOTE]
You too? What's wrong with gamestop? I have never been able to order online from them.

I haven't stepped foot in a GS in a looong time and plan to keep it that way. I see why some people like them but I've had one too many negative experiences with the stores to ever think about wanting to go back.

I'll stick with Amazon and eBay, thank you ;-)

Amen! Most major chains sell display items (or gutted stuff) less than the advertised price. I don't understand why GS fails to see this.

[quote name='oasisboy']The days are numbered for GameStop? Their stock went up based on higher than expected sales on the last quarter:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...mestop_19bus.ART0.State.Edition1.3cf245a.html[/QUOTE]
Look at the man with the google skills. Gamestop's stock was nearly $60 two years ago this time. Now it's barely over $20. These days, professional equity analysts don't even have a clue how companies are really doing. As soon as a lot of corporate debt becomes due, tons of companies find themselves going belly up. I really wouldn't be surprised if Gamestop ultimately went bankrupt. I see their business model as similar enough to FYE, which of course is a complete failure.

Went to purchase Disgaea 3 a couple days ago as part of their Gamedays sale. Keep in mind the game is supposed to be in new condition. First off, the employee didn't even know the game, which is ridiculous. Secondly, the only copy I found already had a cracked case, which is again ridiculous. Lastly, when I walked out of the store, I quickly checked the condition of the disc only to find out that he FORGOT TO PUT THE DISC IN THE CASE.

This type of crap just doesn't happen anywhere else where they keep new games SEALED.

Not to mention 99% of the time, there is no reason to shop at Gamestop. Games are almost always found cheaper and in better condition elsewhere, particularly Amazon, Newegg, goHastings, and eBay.

What's with all the gamestop bullshit in a thread about AMAZON? fuck.

Awesome price, think I'm going to order. I don't care about the new one, atleast now, because I'm not a big fighting game fan anyway. I've sucked at all of them outside of like mortal kombat 2 and super smash bros melee. Guilty gears have always looked cool and this game has gotten great reviews all over the place. I figure it's cheap enough now for me to have fun with it single player and very rarely a friend to play against.

[quote name='Stele']

1. Look at the man with the google skills.
2. Gamestop's stock was nearly $60 two years ago this time. Now it's barely over $20.
3. These days, professional equity analysts don't even have a clue how companies are really doing.
4. As soon as a lot of corporate debt becomes due, tons of companies find themselves going belly up.
5. I really wouldn't be surprised if Gamestop ultimately went bankrupt. I see their business model as similar enough to FYE, which of course is a complete failure.[/QUOTE]

1. Look at the man with the smart ass comments
2. That is not as bad as other companies such as GM, Ford, Citi, Bank of America and others. Only a few companies have had great success in the stock market in the last 2-3 years.
3. Look at the man that knows more than a professional equity analyst that went to business school for 6 years (Bachelor + MBA). I am sure you know more than they do. That is why their average salary is much more than whatever you will make in your lifetime.
4. Look at the Financial man speak. Devry University does teach you some things.
5. GameStop actually almost went bankrupt and that is when Barnes and Nobles bought them. Then made them independent. They will not fail because they are still making money with used games (which they control 90% of the market) and that will not change because they have "some" support from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Ok, back to amazon.com, yes they kick ass.

that is exactly how i feel.

the only other time ill go to gamestop is if they have a special edition of a game exclusive to them. (eg assassin's creed 2 limited and metal gear solid 4 limited)

[quote name='Fire_Thief']No one gives a fuck about story in a fighting game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mgsvr']You must be Street Fighter fan.[/QUOTE]

FLAWLESS :rofl:

[quote name='mgsvr']Some of their so called "brand new" games are actually repackaging, and often the employees just take the disc from their display shelf and slap into the game case and sell you for the price of a sealed brand new game. I had horrible experience with them before, so I stopped doing business with them for years now.[/QUOTE]

Sorry forgot this was an Amazon thread.

Oh...fuck you Gamestop!

[quote name='oasisboy']1. Look at the man with the smart ass comments
2. That is not as bad as other companies such as GM, Ford, Citi, Bank of America and others. Only a few companies have had great success in the stock market in the last 2-3 years.
3. Look at the man that knows more than a professional equity analyst that went to business school for 6 years (Bachelor + MBA). I am sure you know more than they do. That is why their average salary is much more than whatever you will make in your lifetime.
4. Look at the Financial man speak. Devry University does teach you some things.
5. GameStop actually almost went bankrupt and that is when Barnes and Nobles bought them. Then made them independent. They will not fail because they are still making money with used games (which they control 90% of the market) and that will not change because they have "some" support from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Ok, back to amazon.com, yes they kick ass.[/QUOTE]
pwnd.jpg

[quote name='Fire_Thief']No one gives a fuck about story in a fighting game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mgsvr']You must be Street Fighter fan.[/QUOTE]
This is the funniest thing I've read all day. XD Thanks for this.

In all honesty, though, Blazblue does have a good story IMO. Just because it's a fighting game doesn't mean it doesn't have a good story/story, or that you have to treat it like it doesn't have one. It can be pretty engrossing if you get into it.

[quote name='jdeluis']I'm just waiting for the new version as well. I already have a backlog like many on CAG, so I don't mind waiting and saving my $20 for the new version instead.[/QUOTE]

I pre-orders are already being taken for Continum Shift. Gamestop's site has it listed for $40. They aren't putting out a real sequel. They are going the Street Fighter route and adding a couple new characters.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77558

Release date 7/20/2010.

^ This.
The Gamestop that's easiest for me to get to always has ONE and only ONE copy seemingly available to buy of any game that's on sale....and its always a display copy. I could even understand if it was something unusual I was buying....but you advertised the game for sale, shouldn't you have more than ONE copy?
Plus they always put the price sticker on the paper part of the cover, not the plastic. Nice work, guys. Stickers get removed from paper real easy. And they tried to sell me their sole copy of SFIV with no manual....doesn't seem that new to me? ARGGGGGGGH

/endrant

Having never played Blazblue (and thus not knowing if I'll enjoy the $40 rerelease) I feel much more comfortable paying $20 ($10 for me after some credit) for a very well-reviewed fighter that can keep me occupied for the next few months until SSFIV drops in price or Continuum Shift is released. I see it as an extended rental rather than "wasting my money" because an updated version is soon to be released.

...and for all you Gamestop debaters, take that crap somewhere else. The OP did not create this thread so you could take a big fuck-ing dump on it.

People complain about Gamestop gutting games while failing to see the upside. Do you really like going to Target, seeing something you might like, and having to find an employee to open the case?

Sure, there's the chance you might get the last copy and oh no- it's been opened and there's a price sticker on it. I'm fine with this knowing I can actually browse the new games that've come out, check the manual, etc. The arguments on this seem dumb. My only complaint against Gamestop is that prices usually aren't that great, few bargains or specials, etc. If Gamestop did weekly fliers I might be in their actually shopping once in a while.

bread's done
Back