Blockbuster 5 for $20 blu ray back 8/10-ongoing

hawaiiboy

CAGiversary!
Got a email this morning to start 5 for $20 deal immediately. As usual any $9.99 title or less qualifies. There hasn't been a blu ray price drop since the last sale on the 4th of July.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am extremely jelly.

Iron Man 2 at my BBV still ring up at $12.99, and The Social Network is still $16.99 used and $12.99 new (???)

Yes i know there are a couple of sales on new blus, but i was hoping that the used SocNet would go down because of the sale :cry:

I am done now that I have hit 25.

I am gonna try to get rid of some of the ones I am not just into.

Full List:

A Serious Man*
A Team
Slumdog Millionaire
Where the Wild Things Are*
Robin Hood*

Milk
Green Zone
Frost Nixon
Percy Jackson*
The Men Who Stare At Goats*

Star Trek (non 3 disc)
Social Network
Taken
Eyes Wide Shut
Imaginarium

Despicable Me
The Expendables TRADED FOR How To Train Your Dragon
Public Enemies
The Losers
Quantum of Solace

Harry Brown
The Town
Sherlock Holmes
Prince of Persia: SoT
The Blind Side

Ones with * next to the name I am willing to trade 2 for 1 style. Just throwing that out there.

Went to another BBV, and they had about 1/2 the selection of my local BBV

The Social Network was 9.99, and there were at least 10 of them.

Other than that, nothing. Just a bunch of decent movies that i like but don't need (like Brooklyn's Finest). It was a shame Toy Story 2 was 12.99...

My haul a the Blockbuster in York, PA...

Up in the Air
Harry Brown
Open Season
Crazy Heart
Saw VI (kinda desperate at this point)

Decent enough, I guess. Really wanted the Social Network, but no dice...16.99.

Hard to leave that 12.99 Avatar Extended behind...but oh, well.

Went to a BBV 15 miles away and found some great :br: movies for the 5/20:

A few good men
Goodfellas
The Bourne Supremacy
Signs
Da Vinci code - 2 disc extended cut edition.

Asked about Social Network and it was $16.99 too.

Picked up all these brand new on blu ray:

The Book of Eli - $9.99
Gran Torino - $9.99
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - $12.99
The Social Network - $12.99
WALL·E - $12.99
Zombieland - $12.99

For me, buying new is important since I figure coming from a BBV anything previously-viewed went through multiple hands but that's just me. Other people may have no problems with it since, unlike DVDs, BDs don't scratch. Stayed away from titles that I can get for $9.99 just about everywhere else so ended up getting the following:

Social Network $12.99 (too bad no $9.99 price at this store)
Star Trek (3 disc) $9.99
The Notebook Limited Edition (for the missus plus I almost never pass on a Limited Edition at this price)
Robin Hood (2010) $9.99
The A-Team $9.99

They had 2 copies of Dark Night (w/ batpod) at the store I was at but had to passed since I had one copy already bought at a slightly higher price. Only other movie that caught my eye that debated whether to get or not is Unstoppable since I'm an action movie nut but since I spent too much already, I had to let it go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the 5 for 20 the other day, I just hate the cases they come in. I wish they were in the original BR case.. I went back Friday night and picked up The Expendables BR/Digital/DVD set for $12.99. I also scored Guitar Hero Warriors Of Rock and some Square Enix game that looked pretty cool called Mind Jack for $15 for both. They had the Batpod set for $20 at that BBV.

[quote name='pimpster4183']I did the 5 for 20 the other day, I just hate the cases they come in. I wish they were in the original BR case.[/QUOTE]

I'm one of the few people who likes the Blockbuster cases. I'm getting replacement cases for my blurays, but the BBV cases are sturdy as fuck for other uses (custom cases for PC games, etc.) You could even carve a fetal pig on them, wipe 'em down with a moist paper towel, and they'll look good as new.

I need BBV to end this sale.

Assassination of Jesse James
The Forbidden Kingdom
From Paris with Love
Mean Girls
The Golden Compass
Rudy
The Young Victoria
Tears of the Sun
Closer
Eyes Wide Shut

I have no clue if this is just at my store or everywhere (or maybe leftover from a previous sale?) but I found some $1.99 blu-rays . There was a bin with several DVDs in paper envelopes and some blu-rays in slim plastic cases.

:br: Inception $1.99
:br: Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'hool $1.99
:br: The Last Exorcism $1.99
:dvd: Get Him to the Greek Unrated $1.99

DSCI0260.jpg

DSCI0261.jpg

DSCI0262.jpg

Such an awesome deal. :D

My BBV has been refreshing the selection of new BDs over the past two weeks. Went in today and saw the Avatar 3 disc CE for $12.99, as well as a few copies of The Notebook CE for $12.99.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']I have no clue if this is just at my store or everywhere (or maybe leftover from a previous sale?) but I found some $1.99 blu-rays . There was a bin with several DVDs in paper envelopes and some blu-rays in slim plastic cases.

:br: Inception $1.99
:br: Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'hool $1.99
:br: The Last Exorcism $1.99
:dvd: Get Him to the Greek Unrated $1.99

DSCI0260.jpg

DSCI0261.jpg

DSCI0262.jpg

Such an awesome deal. :D[/QUOTE]

Last I checked those were still $3.99 at my store. I guess I have to check to see if they dropped to $1.99. Thanks a lot for the heads up. I'll let u guys know what I find out.

I know Hawaiiboy is on vacation. I bet he would know more about this. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

I saw a bunch of those $1.99 movies.....although, they had them mixed in with DVD's. The store I went to was a mess. The 5 for $20 were also mixed together.

Found some on a table with a 5 dvd for 20 sign. Ask and the price was for the Blus as well grabbed 5 more.
Tell Tale
What happens in Vegas
Brothers
Leaves of Grass(love this movie)
Killers

Had to get a couple of comedies to keep the wife happy

Thanks for the heads up on the 1.99 blu rays cereal_killerxx. They dropped from $3.99 to $1.99 on Tuesday according to my store manager.

I bought (All Blu-ray and $1.99):
Inception
Going The Distance
The Last Exorcism

My store also had:

Sex and the City 2
The American
and more copies of The Last Exorcism

the blockbuster near me just put out a ton of copies of Kick Ass they didn't have out before. Picked that up along with The American, Date Night, Fantastic Mr Fox and Julia and Julia. I got Date Night and Fantastic Mr Fox for filler and did the moviestop trade deal for them.

[quote name='ScorpioKyle']the blockbuster near me just put out a ton of copies of Kick Ass they didn't have out before. Picked that up along with The American, Date Night, Fantastic Mr Fox and Julia and Julia. I got Date Night and Fantastic Mr Fox for filler and did the moviestop trade deal for them.[/QUOTE]

Is there a Moviestop thread?

very big transfer of blu rays (approx 300 pieces in my store). might be worth checking out since the end of the sale is tomorrow.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']very big transfer of blu rays (approx 300 pieces in my store). might be worth checking out since the end of the sale is tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Why must you taught me one more time?

:)

Thanks for the heads up, ill check it out one more time tomorrow morn.

[quote name='igotnodough']so if i read correctly, the discs labeled "rental" are the same as retail discs?[/QUOTE]

No, they aren't. Rental exclusives generally are, but rentals are not.

Indeed, there were new BDs replenished today for the last day of the sale. I picked up:

Kick-Ass
Horton Hears a Who
Body of Lies
Seven Years in Tibet
The Town

Look forward to the next sale, as there are a lot of movies at $12.99 that I'm interested in.

[quote name='BingoBrown']No, they aren't. Rental exclusives generally are, but rentals are not.[/QUOTE]
what are rental exclusives?

[quote name='igotnodough']what are rental exclusives?[/QUOTE]

From what I saw the rental labeled movies are just the movies, no special features included.

I looked through the display and there was nothing new, but then I spotted all the transfers that apparently hadn't been put on the display yet. I asked the employee if they were a part of this sale and he told me about the transfers and all that jazz. He then held up each stack and let me choose what I wanted. I was extremely grateful at how helpful he was.

I ended up picking out:

Get Him to the Greek
Marley & Me
Death at a Funeral
Knight and Day

I had Hot Tub Time Machine as part of the 5, until he showed me the final stack and I noticed a lone Taken in there. I immediately snagged that one and put Hot Tub Time Machine back.

Now I have to order my cases. -_-

Well I bought 15 more today, ill post my total collection from this sale tomorrow.

Also got batman begins new, the departed new for 10 ea and inglorious basterds for 13..

Oh and another dark knight 3 disc bat pod for 10 bucks.

Spent way too much, thanks hb. :)

I went there tonight and the guy had a pushcart full of dvds to put out. I asked him about Blurays and said he had a big list of ones to put out but it would be a while and should check back tomorrow. Hopefully I'll grab some more goodies.

[quote name='ScorpioKyle']I went there tonight and the guy had a pushcart full of dvds to put out. I asked him about Blurays and said he had a big list of ones to put out but it would be a while and should check back tomorrow. Hopefully I'll grab some more goodies.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Animal7390']apparently this has been extended today for at least another week.[/QUOTE]

So this is official everywhere? Extended another week nationwide? Didn't that happen with this sale last time as well?

Stopped into BBV today and found a pretty decent bunch of 5 even after so long into the sale.

Harry Potter and the Half blood Prince (Rental)
Mission Impossible 2
Taken
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler

Granted slumdog and the wrestler are pretty easy to find and I bought them just to make up 5 but the other 3 I really wanted.

[quote name='ScorpioKyle']Yeah I was told the sale was extended another week. I'm in Florida.[/QUOTE]

I was also told the same thing today. I also found a store that still has 20-30 of those $1.99 blu-rays that are in sleeves. I wonder if they will ever drop to $.99 ???????

The $1.99 ones I found today that aren't already posted.

Charlie St. Cloud
Dinner for Smucks

There were a few more, but I can't remember. I just remember I already bought them before.

I was surprised that the nearest BBV store to me was all cleaned out and closed for good. They only had the 5 for $20 dvds the last time I went probably like a few weeks ago. They never had any blu for sale like the ones posted here. There were only $13.99 ones. Now I'm kicking myself wondering if that store had a store closing sale or not, or if they just shipped their goods to another BBV.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Stopped into BBV today and found a pretty decent bunch of 5 even after so long into the sale.

Harry Potter and the Half blood Prince (Rental)
Mission Impossible 2
Taken
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler

Granted slumdog and the wrestler are pretty easy to find and I bought them just to make up 5 but the other 3 I really wanted.[/QUOTE]

Would've loved to have found a wrestler, but none at the 6 bbv I went to. Yes, 6.

So it's confirmed that this is extended for another week? Hopefully we see a decent drop. Actually, I take that back, I don't need anymore. =X

My haul from the last 2 sales -

The Crazies / Youth in Revolt / This is It / Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs / Ghost Town / 500 Days of Summer / Fantastic Mr Fox / Date Night / Crazy Heart / Taken / The Matrix / State of Play / Drag Me to Hell / Stranger Than Fiction / Get Him to the Greek / Zombieland / Vicky Cristina Barcelona / Robin Hood / The Wackness / Funny People / The Road / I Love You, Man / Despicable Me / Sherlock Holmes / The Informant / Michael Clayton / The Town / Inception / The American / The Hurt Locker / Revolver / The Messenger / A History of Violence / Sunshine Cleaning / Kick-Ass / Revolutionary Road / Catfish / Batman: Gotham Knight / Burn After Reading / The Day The Earth Stood Still / Max Payne / Milk / Observe and Report / Toy Story 3

Maybe missing one or 2 that are currently being borrowed...

Also found new : Batman Begins / Star Trek 3 disc / The Dark Knight (batpod 3 disc) / The Departed (10 each) / Wall-e 2 disc / Toy Story 2 disc / Toy Story 2 2 disc / Toy Story 3 4 disc / Avatar 3 disc / Inglorious Basterds 2 disc / The Notebook CE / The Social Network 2 disc - (12.99 each)

Needless to say, Thanks Hawaii Boy. :) And to all those who post deals here - a lot of watching ahead... :)

[quote name='kyrhon']Picked up:

The Town (Rental [sad face])
Taken
Star Trek
Gran Torino
Kick Ass[/QUOTE]

I had a sad face when I realized The Town was a rental version too. I'd like to have special features, but I'd but much rather have the extended director's cut version of the film. I watched the director's cut version on DVD when it was released. Hopefully the theatrical version doesn't suck too much by comparison.

bread's done
Back