Blockbuster late fee questions

yogi99

CAGiversary!
I rented a game on January 3rd and it is suppose to due on January 11th. With the new "No Late Fee" policy at Blockbuster I should be able to keep my game rental for 7 more days without any fee charged as long as I return my game within 7 days pass the original due day right? Anyone tried to keep their game a few days past the due day? Did you get charged for any fee?

I went to BB on New Year's Day and the guy told me that after a certain amount of days, they will charge full retail price for the game. So, you're basically buying it.

i wouldnt keep it more then 1-2 days over. Bad thing about this, what keeps blockbuster from just tossing your 5 day game in the trash and saying you never returned it. This is why when i rent movies at a B&M store i make someone sign a paper saying when the game/movie was return. 4 years back this happen to me and Video stop really belived i was going to pay them 64 bucks in late fees (they said i returned a movie 30 days after it was do)

You must sign up for the no late fees plan, I am pretty sure an extra monthly fee is associated with it. So basicly there new motto should be; “No late fees for some, monthly fees for everyone else.”

[quote name='NatakuARN']You must sign up for the no late fees plan, I am pretty sure an extra monthly fee is associated with it. So basicly there new motto should be; “No late fees for some, monthly fees for everyone else.”[/quote]

There's no plan that you have to sign up for. You just rent and bring them back by the due date or a few days after, which ever you choose. If the OP still has questions, check here for official details:

http://www.blockbuster.com/corporate/displayFAQDetails.action?faqId=1090566

Hmm...That's an interesting point, though...I wonder how this will affect sales of their MoviePass. Although that is convenient, you don't *have* to keep a movie for 7 days to get your money's worth.
I don't know if it was BB or a local place, but I went to one store that rented video games for 7 days, but you could bring it back anytime and for .50 or 1.00 swap it out for another title for the remainder of your rental period. I liked that, sometimes I could tell in a day or two if I wanted to keep the game for a whole week.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='NatakuARN']You must sign up for the no late fees plan, I am pretty sure an extra monthly fee is associated with it. So basicly there new motto should be; “No late fees for some, monthly fees for everyone else.”[/quote]

There's no plan that you have to sign up for. You just rent and bring them back by the due date or a few days after, which ever you choose. If the OP still has questions, check here for official details:

http://www.blockbuster.com/corporate/displayFAQDetails.action?faqId=1090566[/quote]

I guess my local BB isn't participating than. :(

[quote name='NatakuARN'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='NatakuARN']You must sign up for the no late fees plan, I am pretty sure an extra monthly fee is associated with it. So basicly there new motto should be; “No late fees for some, monthly fees for everyone else.”[/quote]

http://www.blockbuster.com/corporate/displayFAQDetails.action?faqId=1090566[/quote]

I guess my local BB isn't participating than. :([/quote]

If there aren't any banners up or anything about the "No More Late Fees" campaign, then I guess not.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='NatakuARN'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='NatakuARN']You must sign up for the no late fees plan, I am pretty sure an extra monthly fee is associated with it. So basicly there new motto should be; “No late fees for some, monthly fees for everyone else.”[/quote]

If there aren't any banners up or anything about the "No More Late Fees" campaign, then I guess not.[/quote]

There are banners but late fees are still in affect.

My local blockbusters don't participate in the "no late fees" plan. They claim it will cost too much money due to reinventory and blah blah yah yah. I don't rent from them anyway, but still.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='NatakuARN']You must sign up for the no late fees plan, I am pretty sure an extra monthly fee is associated with it. So basicly there new motto should be; “No late fees for some, monthly fees for everyone else.”[/quote]

From what I read from the blockbuster FAQ I will not get charged additional fees as long as I return the game within 7 days after the original due date. But I guess to be safe I should still return it on time or within 1 or 2 days past the due date.

I can tell you that every block buster in my area is not even participating i n this deal, I just read in the paper yesterday that all tallahasse fl residents are outta luck on theis "no late fee thing" the spokewoman for the stores in our area said that it "Didn't fit the blockbuster strategy of Tallahassee"

[quote name='NatakuARN'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='NatakuARN'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='NatakuARN']You must sign up for the no late fees plan, I am pretty sure an extra monthly fee is associated with it. So basicly there new motto should be; “No late fees for some, monthly fees for everyone else.”[/quote]

If there aren't any banners up or anything about the "No More Late Fees" campaign, then I guess not.[/quote]

There are banners but late fees are still in affect.[/quote]

Hmm, that sucks. Hopefully it goes well at other places that have it and they'll be doing it there eventually.

I just called my Blockbuster store and the clerk told me there will be no fee as long as I return the game before the 7th day past the original due date.

So this No Late Fee thing isn't national? I guess it is YMMV.

It's national, but at 'participating outlets only.' Not sure if the individual store has the option to say Yes or No or if its based on sales/fees/volume/inventory etc.

[quote name='dtcarson']It's national, but at 'participating outlets only.' Not sure if the individual store has the option to say Yes or No or if its based on sales/fees/volume/inventory etc.[/quote]

Yeah, there's quite a few BB's here and I've seen the banners on most of them if not all of them.

Well, if they have banners up, I think they have to accept it.

I've kept two games a few days after now....I'll return tomorrow, about 3 days after the normal return date.

It will be YMMV because Blockbuster stores are franchises. Some of those stores count on late fees to make up a very large portion of their profits, and thus probably aren't too willing to put the cash cow out to pasture just yet.

Also, I think my BB also raised the game rental price....it was $6.99

Is that normal? I haven't rented games from there in a while, and when I do, I use my FRE blockbuster.com coupons.

[quote name='doubledown']Also, I think my BB also raised the game rental price....it was $6.99

Is that normal? I haven't rented games from there in a while, and when I do, I use my FRE blockbuster.com coupons.[/quote]

My BB receipt showed $6.99 for my game. I think they raise it by $1. Good thing that I'm also renting it with bb's coupon so it is free.

[quote name='yogi99'][quote name='doubledown']Also, I think my BB also raised the game rental price....it was $6.99

Is that normal? I haven't rented games from there in a while, and when I do, I use my FRE blockbuster.com coupons.[/quote]

My BB receipt showed $6.99 for my game. I think they raise it by $1. Good thing that I'm also renting it with bb's coupon so it is free.[/quote]

they also lengthend the rental period from 5 days to 1 week

[quote name='Astinus Majere'][quote name='yogi99'][quote name='doubledown']Also, I think my BB also raised the game rental price....it was $6.99

My BB receipt showed $6.99 for my game. I think they raise it by $1. Good thing that I'm also renting it with bb's coupon so it is free.[/quote]

they also lengthend the rental period from 5 days to 1 week[/quote]

It's been a week for a while, maybe at least for over a year at the ones I've been to. It's a good deal to get the game(s) for 8 days, but I usually only rent when I get a rent one, get one free coupon.

in terms of no late fees, those stores that are participating will function as follows:
you have a 1 week grace period after the rental is due, so you have 7 more days until the actually due date
return any time before that extra 7th day and no charge.

now if you go past that date, BB will charge your account- selling you the item, but you get to keep it.

However, for the next month, you can still return the rented item, and BB will then credit the money to your account, but not refund the money

So if anyone watches movies and rents on average two games a month... you'd be better off joining the blockbuster online program for $14.99 a month.

bread's done
Back