Blockbuster Movie + Games New Rental Policy

filanime03

CAGiversary!
Blockbuster has finally done something right. Now if you have a monthly plan on their movies you can now rent games with it. Here is the breakdown

By Mail 1 Disc 2 Disc 3 Disc
Movie + Games 8.99 13.99 16.99

Total Access 11.99 16.99 19.99
Movies + Games
5 + instore exchanges

Here are the links:
50% off first month
2 week free trial

This deal is a lot better than what Gamefly is offering in which
1 game for 15.99
2 game for 22.95

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm not interested myself (was never big on renting), I figure I'll ask for the others. Would this be corporate stores only or will it work at any Blockbuster?

[quote name='JStryke']While I'm not interested myself (was never big on renting), I figure I'll ask for the others. Would this be corporate stores only or will it work at any Blockbuster?[/QUOTE]
This an online rental but as far as total access in store exchanges not really sure.

I just noticed this myself a few minutes ago. I was so excited. Then I took a look at their "new releases." Many games that have been out for months- blockbuster won't have in stock til mid november. Other games have no available date at all.

Eventually this might be a great deal. But right now, their stock of games is really poor.

Nice, anyone know of any promo codes (since there's a spot to enter them)? Seems like a solid deal, I just dropped Gamefly because the cost was too high for slow service. The 5 in store exchanges per month would eliminate that problem, assuming they have new games in stock.

Finally! My local BBV cashier told me they were going to start doing it but had forgotten when he said it would start. Gamefly takes up to 3-5 days to get games to my area and Blockbuster has been very good at getting blu-rays/DVDs to my house in one. Hopefully they will have the same turnaround time with their games. I was about to start my netflix subscription back up too so this is a big plus for me. Thanks OP. :bouncy:

[quote name='Mizz Behavin']I just noticed this myself a few minutes ago. I was so excited. Then I took a look at their "new releases." Many games that have been out for months- blockbuster won't have in stock til mid november. Other games have no available date at all. [/QUOTE]

Wow that is kinda sad. Luckily I have a huge backlog of games that I have been wanting to play or at least try (many released in 2009/ early this year: Just Cause 2, Splinter Cell, NSMB, Darksiders, etc.) and with the 5 in store exchanges I can still get the new games so this should hold me over till september-november.

[quote name='Mizz Behavin']I just noticed this myself a few minutes ago. I was so excited. Then I took a look at their "new releases." Many games that have been out for months- blockbuster won't have in stock til mid november. Other games have no available date at all.

Eventually this might be a great deal. But right now, their stock of games is really poor.[/QUOTE]
But the thing is if you sign up on total access membership you can exchange your online rental in store. Based on my knowledge in store blockbuster gets new release games in their store Friday.

Holy hell Blockbuster got a clue, this could save them lol..Thanks OP!

Goodbye Netflix after this month! I'm currently on a 3 out plan for $16.99 and I barely use streaming. Plus they are starting to suck ass about not having some movies on their legit release dates. Plus I can't get blu-rays at this price.

These Blockbuster plans are beastly! $20 a month gets 3 out with in store swaps on dvd, br AND games! I'm seriously happy even if games are super high demand in the mail just work your in store returns to get them on release day. The only bad thing about this is the Blockbuster 2 minutes away closed so I gotta go across town. :D

EDIT: Totally must have misread it but looks like you CAN NOT return any online rentals to stores and get a game in return at the B&M just movies or rent a game for $4.99... Still a good deal.

Beware of blockbuster. Total access started out great. Then they started raising prices, removing benefits, and shipping slowly.

I used to be a huge total access fan over netflix. But blockbuster raised the price so many times that I left.

WARNING GAME SELECTION IS A JOKE RIGHT NOW. Don't waste your 2 weeks trial just yet unless you are doing it for movies. Newest releases available are Just Cause 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, God Of War 3 range.... Red Dead Redemption available 8/31, Madden 11 available 11/23 this is obviously a work in progress as far as games rentals go...

EDIT: Totally must have misread it but looks like you CAN NOT return any online rentals to stores and get a game in return at the B&M just movies or rent a game for $4.99... Still a good deal.

Where exactly did you read this? It sounds really familiar and I feel like I read that months ago when I was a online rental member, before you were able to rent games online, so it may not be relevant/up to date. I may call my BBV in the morning to check just in case.

[quote name='xNightfire147x']Where exactly did you read this? It sounds really familiar and I feel like I read that months ago when I was a online rental member, before you were able to rent games online, so it may not be relevant/up to date. I may call my BBV in the morning to check just in case.[/QUOTE]

It won't cut and paste but go to the site and click the games tab -> click the mario rent games banner ->read the 2nd FAQ. ;)

Great news. I've been with Total Access since the beginning and it has been fantastic. Love that its not extra for blu-rays and now games! My local store is 5min up the street and everyone in there is great so I've never had a reason to switch to Netflix. This is my current plan, which I don't even see anymore.

• BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium
  • $16.99 / month (plus taxes)
    2 at-a-time, Unlimited mailings
    Unlimited In-Store Movie Exchanges
    + 1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month

Just checked this out and kudos to Blockbuster for allowing game rentals without upping the price of my plan at all. I've been running out of movies I really want to rent anyway, so this will be a nice change. I guess the downside is not being able to get new games right away, though this gives me a chance to try out some games that I didn't pick up right at launch (like Splinter Cell: Conviction or Dante's Inferno) that just haven't fallen in price enough for me to pick up.

It says both games are available. I'm wondering how the availability is going to change once the program kicks it into full gear. Either way, I'm excited about the prospect of renting games and not having to have two services. I'll be sad when Blockbuster goes under. Their stores may suck, but their online prices can't be beat.

FYI -

Does BLOCKBUSTER By Mail offer game rentals?
Yes! Along with renting thousands of movies from BLOCKBUSTER® By Mail, you can also rent thousands of video games for XBOX, XBOX 360, Playstation 2, Playstation 3 and Wii. Simply find a game you want to rent and add it to your queue!
We also allow you to purchase video games under the GAMES tab.

Q. Is there an extra charge for renting games with BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscription?

There is no additional charge for renting video games with your BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscription. Simply add the games to your queue to have them mailed to you just like movie rentals.
Game rentals will count toward the number of rentals you are allowed out under your BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscription plan. You are allowed to have as many games out at a time as your BLOCKBUSTER By Mail plan permits. For example, if you are on a 3 discs out at-a-time plan, you can have 3 games out or 2 games and 1 movie out or 2 movies and 1 game out and so forth.

Q. Will games rented on my BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscription count against my plan limits?

Yes, game rentals will count toward the number of rentals you are allowed out under your BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscription. However, you are allowed to have as many games out at a time as your BLOCKBUSTER By Mail plan permits. For example, if you are on a 3 discs out at-a-time plan, you can have 3 games out or 2 games and 1 movie out or 2 movies and 1 game out and so forth.

Q. How many BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals can I rent per month?

You may rent unlimited games each month if you are on a BLOCKBUSTER By Mail plan that allows unlimited rentals through the mail.
You are allowed to have as many games out at a time as your BLOCKBUSTER By Mail plan permits. For example, if you are on a 3 discs out at-a-time plan, you can have 3 games out or 2 games and 1 movie out or 2 movies and 1 game out and so forth.
The online game rental will count toward the number of rentals you are allowed out at a time under your BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscription.

Q. Can I exchange my BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals in the store for games and movies?

BLOCKBUSTER Total Accessâ„¢ subscribers may exchange BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals for in-store free movie rentals (up to plan limits) or discounted $4.99 game rentals at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores. However, BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals cannot be exchanged for free in-store game rentals.
BLOCKBUSTER Mail Only subscribers may exchange BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals for discounted in-store $1.99 movie or $4.99 game rentals at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores.

Just a heads up that there is a 3 month delay on new releases, meaning June's Releases wont be available to September, July in October, etc.

I got grandfathered in on the 3 Out Unlimted Total Access for $20, so I guess its not a bad deal if I want to catch up on some old games. It looks like they have quite a few rarer games for the PS2.

[quote name='Bezerker']Just a heads up that there is a 3 month delay on new releases, meaning June's Releases wont be available to September, July in October, etc.

I got grandfathered in on the 3 Out Unlimted Total Access for $20, so I guess its not a bad deal if I want to catch up on some old games. It looks like they have quite a few rarer games for the PS2.[/QUOTE]

Noticed that as well. It is the reason I will pass until they get it to where it should be.

[quote name='Bezerker']Just a heads up that there is a 3 month delay on new releases, meaning June's Releases wont be available to September, July in October, etc.

I got grandfathered in on the 3 Out Unlimted Total Access for $20, so I guess its not a bad deal if I want to catch up on some old games. It looks like they have quite a few rarer games for the PS2.[/QUOTE]

This does kind of suck if this is true.

However... total access = 5 instore exchanges would be a way to get your new releases.

Also its still way cheaper then gamefly+netflix

[quote name='Ivanhoe']This does kind of suck if this is true.

However... total access = 5 instore exchanges would be a way to get your new releases.

[/QUOTE]

In store exchanges can only be used for movies, not games.

^Unless you want to pay $4.99 to exchange for a game.

It sucks they eneded their "end of late fees" campaign but this is still a great deal for those of us grandfathered at our old rates. $17.99 for 3 at a time, with unlimited in-store exchange AND two free rentals a month FTW! :cool:

This is SWEET! Awesome for trophy/achievement hunters. And BD lovers too (not to own but rent). I hate Netflix's BD policy, increase fee for BD rentals, stinker!
In store exchange is AWESOME! Quick turnaround time too, thank you thank you thank you.... Let's see what I need to play...

[quote name='$hady']WARNING GAME SELECTION IS A JOKE RIGHT NOW. Don't waste your 2 weeks trial just yet unless you are doing it for movies. Newest releases available are Just Cause 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, God Of War 3 range.... Red Dead Redemption available 8/31, Madden 11 available 11/23 this is obviously a work in progress as far as games rentals go...[/QUOTE]

The KEY is in store selection :bouncy: The one I been too got a very good selection, I'm signing up right now!

Q. Can I exchange my BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals in the store for games and movies?

BLOCKBUSTER Total Accessâ„¢ subscribers may exchange BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals for in-store free movie rentals (up to plan limits) or discounted $4.99 game rentals at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores. However, BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals cannot be exchanged for free in-store game rentals.
BLOCKBUSTER Mail Only subscribers may exchange BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals for discounted in-store $1.99 movie or $4.99 game rentals at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores.

That pretty much kills it right?

No you're not returning the online rentals to the store... You're basically have the store return it for you. The cashier will scan it as being returned, hence you don't have to wait till the return sleeve get to the online rental center (which cut the return time by two-three days). Every month you will get the coupons, you will be using the coupons to rent the movies/games in store. It use to be the return sleeve bar code, but you can't rent games.

Again, if you have a BBV around the block, this is PERFECT! It beats Netflix and Gamefly by miles in terms of value.

Wish they would have offered this before the shut all of the ones down near me. In the past 4 years we went from having 7 + in my area to 1 and its out of my way to go to.

[quote name='sillymonkey321']Q. Can I exchange my BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals in the store for games and movies?

That pretty much kills it right?[/QUOTE]

Again, the idea is not to rent the games online.... For one, the game selection online stinks. Two, it needs to be mailed to you. Three, you're "competing" with all of the other subscribers... Just use the online rentals for movies (Blu-ray, yeah!). Then save the coupons for the games in store.

It's not a good value for people don't have a BBV around them (driving is fine, but I prefer walking :))

[quote name='Serpentor']Again, the idea is not to rent the games online.... For one, the game selection online stinks. Two, it needs to be mailed to you. Three, you're "competing" with all of the other subscribers... Just use the online rentals for movies (Blu-ray, yeah!). Then save the coupons for the games in store.

It's not a good value for people don't have a BBV around them (driving is fine, but I prefer walking :))[/QUOTE]

What coupons?

Is this http://www.dvdsbymail.com compatible? That's the site with Blockbuster + Comcast, where Comcast Double Play and Triple Play customers get a discount. That would make the deal even better!

Shame the Blockbuster closest to me, the I walked past everyday, got shut down.

--------------
Update:
Just saw this at hackingnetflix.com

"@The Dude I linked my account one a created at BBI's website (it was not an active account) and under dvdsbymail.com there were no games as an option BUT when I logged into the BBI site it let me add games and it shows one already shipped according to both sites!Kinda a hassle to use both sites but streaming at dvdsbymail and managing my queue at BBI isn't too bad... I guess!"

"When I logged in with my comcast.net ID, it quoted prices of $7.99, $13.99, and $16.99 for the same things (with in-store exchanges on the 2 and 3 disc offers.) They also claim not to charge extra for Blu-Ray."
--------------

Don't now what he means by "streaming", but if this has games, then if you're a Comcast customer, extra discount!

Very tempting. The price definitely beats a Netflix/Gamefly subscription. Too bad I don't have a convenient location to go to as of right now. Used to have one very close, but it closed down.

[quote name='sillymonkey321']What coupons?[/QUOTE]

It's in your account, every month you get to print them out... They expires, but new ones show up in your account when the next billing cycle starts.

[quote name='BinaryTB']Well Blockbuster.com is down... "Internal Server Error".[/QUOTE]

I think the traffic got to it... The site is slow as hel beforel, sigh, now it's down, right after I signed up :whistle2:(

Did you read about there being a 3-month delay? Or is there a delay right now due to them just starting up?

If there's always going to be 3-month delay then I might skip on this (was doing just the $3.99 plan by mail but bumped to 2-at-a-time unlimited when I read this thread).

If you want to complain about netflix not having a release on the day its out, you can blame the movie studios who make exclusivity deals with blockbuster, cable companies, redbox etc. It pisses me off to no end, but i don't blame netflix for not wasting the money on this types of deals, it makes no sense financially.

[quote name='awp']Did you read about there being a 3-month delay? Or is there a delay right now due to them just starting up?

If there's always going to be 3-month delay then I might skip on this (was doing just the $3.99 plan by mail but bumped to 2-at-a-time unlimited when I read this thread).[/QUOTE]

I think he's talking about the game selection... Like Mario Galaxy 2 listed as available in September 2010. It maybe that the online game selection is lagging behind, but certainly not the store selections.

For movies, there's no delay, the studios are almost always on BBV side. Netflix or especially Red Box are the ones get delayed.

[quote name='bryankasch']If you want to complain about netflix not having a release on the day its out, you can blame the movie studios who make exclusivity deals with blockbuster, cable companies, redbox etc. It pisses me off to no end, but i don't blame netflix for not wasting the money on this types of deals, it makes no sense financially.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's too bad... Netflix lost me as a customer when they decided to charge $1 extra for BD rentals, load of crap. To me, that doesn't make any sense financially.

[quote name='Serpentor']I think he's talking about the game selection... Like Mario Galaxy 2 listed as available in September 2010. It maybe that the online game selection is lagging behind, but certainly not the store selections.

For movies, there's no delay, the studios are almost always on BBV side. Netflix or especially Red Box are the ones get delayed.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was referring to the game selection. I'm not going to bump up my account if the games aren't available when they come out. Yes, I realize you can get them in-store, but only if you pay $4.99 or have a coupon. If this deal included free in-store game exchanges, there'd be no doubt in my mind to jump on it.

[quote name='daminion']Beware of blockbuster. Total access started out great. Then they started raising prices, removing benefits, and shipping slowly.

I used to be a huge total access fan over netflix. But blockbuster raised the price so many times that I left.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Blockbuster Total Access at his highest was somewhere around a 40% market share. Now that share is probably less than 20%.

But, maybe Blockbuster has finally learned their lesson. They are filing for another bankruptcy, so they need increased cash flow. This SHOULD generate it....

Here is the article on Blockbusters finances... http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blockbuster/blockbuster-bankruptcy-imminent-analysts-say-20252

Yeah yeah, bankruptcy or whatever, it's still a good deal you know, it might not last, but hey why not enjoy it :)

Sorry, my bad, it looks like there's no need for coupons anymore, you just exchange the online movie/game in the store for another movie/game (up to five). I went to my account and changed to BD format as preference, first thing I do? Kick-Ass then follow by Losers :lol:

As you can see, I don't think I have time to use all my five in-store exchanges, not for games :lol:
Here's my plan:
SUBSCRIPTION PLAN

• AFTER 2 WEEK FREE TRIAL

• BLOCKBUSTER Total Access
  • 2 at-a-time, Unlimited mailings
    5 In-Store Movie Exchanges

• Plan Price (after trial period):
    $16.99 / month (plus taxes)

• Next Billing Date:
    August 26,2010

In Store Exchanges Balance This Month:

0 Used | 5 Remaining through Aug 25, 2010

So you get 2 coupons a month for games? I thought I read it was an e-coupon. So it can be used in stores? If so how long can you keep them? If its the 5 days BBV allows then its a no-no for me.

anyone else having trouble adding games to the queue? I keep clicking add to queue, but nothing happens. I have tried both firefox and IE 8 browsers.

[quote name='Envel']So you get 2 coupons a month for games? I thought I read it was an e-coupon. So it can be used in stores? If so how long can you keep them? If its the 5 days BBV allows then its a no-no for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the non-Total Access plan, but I know if you use the e-coupon, the "normal" due date do apply (it's up to the local BBV store really, the one I used to go give you two or three weeks).

With the Total Access plan, there's no due date... That's because they will not send you anything if you have two or three discs at home and as long as you're on the plan, they charge you per cycle :)

[quote name='cchen326']anyone else having trouble adding games to the queue? I keep clicking add to queue, but nothing happens. I have tried both firefox and IE 8 browsers.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, can't help you, adding games to my queue is blocked at work :whistle2:( But I intent to use in-store exchange for games.

Not bad, might have considered the more expensive plan with in store rentals, but my closest Blockbuster bit the dust recently.

[quote name='Serpentor']
Sorry, my bad, it looks like there's no need for coupons anymore, you just exchange the online movie/game in the store for another movie/game (up to five). I went to my account and changed to BD format as preference, first thing I do? Kick-Ass then follow by Losers :lol:[/QUOTE]

The FAQ says you can't exchange your games for another game in-store. What are these coupons you're talking about? They let you do that? Is that only with the total access plan?

So do the 5 in-store exchanges per month you get on this Total Access plan still have the the $4.99 fee you have to pay attached to them? This is the only part that is still confusing me. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to exchange games mailed to you at the store without any sort of fee, to take advantage of the better selection there.

bread's done
Back