Blockbuster Movie + Games New Rental Policy

filanime03

CAGiversary!
Blockbuster has finally done something right. Now if you have a monthly plan on their movies you can now rent games with it. Here is the breakdown

By Mail 1 Disc 2 Disc 3 Disc
Movie + Games 8.99 13.99 16.99

Total Access 11.99 16.99 19.99
Movies + Games
5 + instore exchanges

Here are the links:
50% off first month
2 week free trial

This deal is a lot better than what Gamefly is offering in which
1 game for 15.99
2 game for 22.95

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ScottBigGame']Not counting games, anyone prefer this over Netflix?

I had netflix for 2 years up until about February. I cancelled because they never had the blu-rays I wanted, new releases primarily. So I would just grab them at redbox.

Now redbox doesnt get movies for like 3 weeks after release and I've been renting from zune marketplace on my xbox, which is a total waste.

My question is if anyone knows is, how good is blockbuster.com at getting new release blu-rays out?[/QUOTE]

I also had Netflix and had the same issue with blu-rays. I switched to the Blockbuster 1 disc at-a-time, 5-instore exchange plan and I got new blu-ray releases by doing the in-store exchange on Tuesday day-time. Then I'd return it to the store the next day and get a new one by mail by Friday or Saturday the latest. If there was a new release blu-ray I wanted the following week I'd do the in-store exchange Tuesday, otherwise earlier. Worked out great for me. Not sure how the new release blu-ray availability is by mail, though, although it seemed to be no worse than Netflix.

By the way, just upgraded to 2 discs at-a-time to get games (Heavy Rain is already on the way). Don't mind them not having the latest games, as long as they keep the prices the same.

[quote name='Zygote']This link gives 3 weeks of free trial and shows that the next biiling is in 3 weeks. The other one reported $34.99/month which is incorrect. This one reports $19.99 and you can change it.

http://www.blockbuster.com/bbmepb10[/QUOTE]

Yeah, to update my situation from yesterday using the 4 week trial link (where it listed my next billing date as 8/12), I did get an email response apologizing for the confusion and telling me to disregard the listed billing date, and that I do have a free 4 week trial that started on 8/10. Now, I'm 99% sure BBV's billing is automatic and computer controlled, so the fact that it still lists my next billing date as tomorrow has me a little skeptical.

But I closed the virtual card number I used to sign up anyway, so if they do try to bill it tomorrow, the joke will be on them. But I'm at least happy I have an email stating that I should be getting a free 4 week trial. Also, the rep gave me a free in store rental coupon for my trouble, so that's nice as well.

Also, in case anyone is curious about speed, my first two games shipped out today, but have a listed arrival date of 8/14. 3 days...which is slower than Netflix for me (but I guess that could vary depending on where you live). Based on my previous experiences with BBV's online service, that seems about normal.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']not bad they shipped Splinter Cell Conviction and From Paris with Love (blu-ray) canceling Netflix and Gamefly as I type this[/QUOTE]

damn-great choices-game was dope n so is the movie-Travolta was awesome

[quote name='n8rockerasu']

Also, in case anyone is curious about speed, my first two games shipped out today, but have a listed arrival date of 8/14. 3 days...which is slower than Netflix for me (but I guess that could vary depending on where you live). Based on my previous experiences with BBV's online service, that seems about normal.[/QUOTE]

Will depend on where you live. My games shipped out yesterday and I received them today. But I'm in Los Angeles so pretty close to one of their distribution centers.

Meh i will keep my netflix and gamefly, netflix gives me instant HD streaming for cheap and gamefly always ships me games i want.

Besides the selection of BB is a friggin joke and they ship incredibly slow.

[quote name='xraytd']Will depend on where you live. My games shipped out yesterday and I received them today. But I'm in Los Angeles so pretty close to one of their distribution centers.[/QUOTE]
the BB distribution is alot closer then my netflix/gamefly yet i get from both days faster.

some people are lucky i guess, BB is on the verge of collapsing for having shitty business practice and having worked there for a year and being treated badly i will never in my life use their service or step foot in another store

but setting all my biased opinions and anger aside i think the online service is a joke compared to netflix/GF

I switched to Blockbuster from Gamefly this morning. Then I found out that Blockbuster can't mail games until 105 days after their release date. I called to confirm this was correct, and once it was I switched back to Gamefly. I was a blockbuster customer for an hour.

[quote name='xraytd']Will depend on where you live. My games shipped out yesterday and I received them today. But I'm in Los Angeles so pretty close to one of their distribution centers.[/QUOTE]

i usually can get their movies really fast because they have a distribution center in houston. so i guess the game distribution is different?

Signed up with a trial and it took 3 days to ship a game out. Seriously? And I'm talking 3 week days here and the first 5 in my list were available now.

Also, has anyone notices games being available one day and then not the next (as in not carried?). Seems like a big mess right now.

PS: I hate everyone who is renting prison break...

[quote name='Zygote']This link gives 3 weeks of free trial and shows that the next biiling is in 3 weeks. The other one reported $34.99/month which is incorrect. This one reports $19.99 and you can change it.

http://www.blockbuster.com/bbmepb10[/QUOTE]

No, no. The one that reported $34.99 is absolutely correct because it offers UNLIMITED in-store exchanges whereas your link only provides 5 in-store exchanges.

Huge difference.

That link again is https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/s/reg/p.26386/pc.erewards1mspecial/

Thanks to CAG, I have this nasty habit of buying the games I want to play on the cheap. I was browsing through games trying to find something I didn't already own! But hey, for a 50% off first month I can give it a shot.

I'm tempted, but I think I'll wait for CAG results and opinions to come in before I bite. My backlog is big enough already, thanks to CAG!

My concern is shipping time and availability. Not to f*cking mention how sick I am of how other people handle their goddammed discs! Every time I rent a Blu-Ray from Netflix, it comes full of fingerprints and scratches! HEY A-HOLES!!! HANDLE THE F-ING DISC BY THE EDGES, NOT THE SURFACE!!!

i started the free trial and two games shipped out the next day. their estimated arrival dates are two days from the day they were shipped out.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']Signed up with a trial and it took 3 days to ship a game out. Seriously? And I'm talking 3 week days here and the first 5 in my list were available now.

Also, has anyone notices games being available one day and then not the next (as in not carried?). Seems like a big mess right now.

PS: I hate everyone who is renting prison break...[/QUOTE]

Netflix has Prison Break on streaming.

I signed up on Monday and Just Cause 2 shipped yesterday. If I see 2 day shipping on games, that will be better than Gamefly is on average. I'm already thinking of removing one of my Gamefly games and going with 2 on there and 1 on Blockbuster for a while just to see how well it works.

I re-upped with Netflix for a 2 week trial. Hopefully the Blu-ray releases come out faster and the amount of instant movies and shows are better.

I use Netflix 1-out with no blu (even though I want it) and Gamefly 1-out. I don't really try for the new releases right away with Gamefly since I never get them (only one I ever got from them on day 1 was Star Trek Legacy)... Heck, I just now got Heavy Rain.

I think 3-out from Blockbuster would be great, I got a lot of stores within minutes also.

The only thing I would miss are the Gamefly Rewards. But I think this would be justified from the cost of savings.

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']i usually can get their movies really fast because they have a distribution center in houston. so i guess the game distribution is different?[/QUOTE]

No, the games and movies distribution centers appear to be the same. At least for me. They have multiple distribution centers. My movies and games both came from Santa Ana, CA.

[quote name='lordopus99']Netflix has Prison Break on streaming.[/QUOTE]

I mean the 360 game. it's gone from available to short wait to very long wait :/ all while I had nothing in my hands. :(

Ugh I signed up Tuesday morning and no games have shipped still. I've got 6 on my list, all available. This is slightly annoying. Hopefully it's only the first shipment that takes a bit.

[quote name='BinaryTB']Anybody else's BB queued screw up? Worked fine yesterday, but since last night I can't add/delete/rearrange anything. Emailed them, 4-8 hour response time, we'll see...[/QUOTE]
Got a response, said something like "sorry, I'll send the ticket onwards". But I reactivated my subscription today and BAM, queue started working again. That's convenient...

Couldn't reactivate my old $3.99/month (2 per month) plan, so got the $4.99/month (2 per month) plan instead. 2 games a month for $5, works for me, especially with my backlog and my continuous purchases cause of stupid CAG.

[quote name='BinaryTB']Got a response, said something like "sorry, I'll send the ticket onwards". But I reactivated my subscription today and BAM, queue started working again. That's convenient...

Couldn't reactivate my old $3.99/month (2 per month) plan, so got the $4.99/month (2 per month) plan instead. 2 games a month for $5, works for me, especially with my backlog and my continuous purchases cause of stupid CAG.[/QUOTE]
How'd you get that plan? I'm on $8 a month for 1 disc. Is that something for reactivating an old account?

As a Blockbuster employee, your best bet is to go into the store and sign up for the two week trial in-store. Because, in addition to a two week trial we also give a free new release movie rental just for signing up. Plus, the games through the mail is a great thing.

[quote name='gage006']Ugh I signed up Tuesday morning and no games have shipped still. I've got 6 on my list, all available. This is slightly annoying. Hopefully it's only the first shipment that takes a bit.[/QUOTE]

Decided to give it a chance, despite my annoyance of the game-lag for new releases. Surprisingly, I had Heavy Rain ship yesterday and Splinter Cell: Conviction ship today. Unfortunately they won't arrive until 8/14 and 8/16 respectively so I'm assuming they aren't coming from the same shipping center that usually gets my movies here in a day.

Well, Gamefly sent out Modnation Racers today, and BB sent out Rouge Warrior. The race is on to see which gets here first! Most likely, they'll both arrive on Monday at the same time, but we shall see.

[quote name='gage006']How'd you get that plan? I'm on $8 a month for 1 disc. Is that something for reactivating an old account?[/QUOTE]
I just logged in using my old account info, went into "My Account", clicked on re-activate and the option showed up. Just went back in my account just now, clicked on "Change" (since I already reactivated) and the plan option is still there.

bb_plans.jpg

This is perfect. 3 Games at a time. I figure I'll make it so every set of three I get will be 2 single-player, one multiplayer...And then I'll cycle the multiplayer game seperately, depending on how much I wish to play it.

Mmm, $20 a month and my girlfriend gets to watch whatever 5 Blu-rays she wishes.

This will save me stupidly buying so many movies/games at sale prices...Saving me money in the long run.

Does that limited 1 disc plan for $4.99 work with games also?
cuz that wouldn't be too bad id have like two weeks to play a game than switch.

[quote name='vic_x51']Does that limited 1 disc plan for $4.99 work with games also?
cuz that wouldn't be too bad id have like two weeks to play a game than switch.[/QUOTE]
I think so. I got that plan and only have games in my queue. Activated it earlier today, it went from saying something like "Shipping in 1-2 days" to this "We are processing your next shipment. It will be sent out as soon as possible". No red flags or warnings, so 2 games per month looks like a go.

[quote name='BinaryTB']I think so. I got that plan and only have games in my queue. Activated it earlier today, it went from saying something like "Shipping in 1-2 days" to this "We are processing your next shipment. It will be sent out as soon as possible". No red flags or warnings, so 2 games per month looks like a go.[/QUOTE]

It works. I signed up for it an hour after this came out, and they just sent me (regrettably), Rouge Warrior on 360.

[quote name='vic_x51']Does that limited 1 disc plan for $4.99 work with games also?
cuz that wouldn't be too bad id have like two weeks to play a game than switch.[/QUOTE]

Ya I got Bioshock 2 shipped in my queue.

Heavily contemplating canceling my Netflix for this. I basically only use Netflix for streaming stuff, which they've been slacking on lately. $9 a month for Netflix one movie out and unlimited streaming versus Blockbusters $12 plan to have a movie and game out at a time...decisions, decisions.

Is their game selection any good? Is it easy to get new releases?

I signed up the day this was announced and already received 2 games and a blu-ray... took back the blu-ray earlier and received shipping notice of a 3rd disk about an hour ago.

I received my movies and game a day earlier than posted. The game works fine but having some trouble with The Venture Bros. disc. Hopefully they're faster in sending the stuff back since they're located in Queens, NY. You have to contact CS if there is any problem with a disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yruluis']You have to contact CS if there is any problem with a disc.[/QUOTE]

I had TA for a year (before the games part) and if there was an issue with a disc, there was a way to report it online. The next item in the queue would be sent or you could choose to have the same item sent out again. Has this changed completely, or is this just for games with issues?

[quote name='Lord_Zath']I had TA for a year (before the games part) and if there was an issue with a disc, there was a way to report it online. The next item in the queue would be sent or you could choose to have the same item sent out again. Has this changed completely, or is this just for games with issues?[/QUOTE]

Don't know, I'm new. I might not even contact them and send it back as is.

[quote name='gage006']Still nothing shipped. Wtf =/ Going on day 3.

xopnox.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have a similar issue sometimes. Did you make any changes to your queue recently? Sometimes I'll return a movie to the store and then go home and switch something to the top of my queue that's available now. I think that messes up the computer because as soon as the movie is scanned they start to process your next movie. Either that or maybe Batman: AA has now been moved to a wait list. If all else fails, there should be a help section where you can click on something like, "I haven't been sent my next disc" and the system should push it through automatically. I've had to do that when the employees at Blockbuster forget to scan in a disc I've returned.

bread's done
Back