Blockbuster online rentals now includes FREE game rentals

plong

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Yep, you read it right. Just got an email telling me about it. Now, pay NO ADDITIONAL FEES to add video games to your Blockbuster Queue! That, plus no Blu-ray charge and in-store exchange makes for a solid competitor for Netflix.

Could you provide a screenshot? I am looking at the website and I don't see anything about this yet. $8.99 for 1 Blu-Ray or Game at a time seems a bit unsustainable to me. You could get the 2 at a time for $14 at a much better price than GameFly and Netflix combined.

Thus, I am skeptical.

For me, the Netflix streaming service on the Xbox is where my $9 a month goes. I was looking at getting Gamefly started again, but Blockbuster is going to offer games, with the ability to get them in store... I may try it out.

[quote name='dcm1602']The only question for me is how do they match up vs gamefly[/QUOTE]

If you like receiving broken or wrong games in the mail then Blockbuster Online is for you. I swear I did a couple month trial from them about 9 months and constantly received broken or wrong DVD's. I rarely, if ever, had issues with Netflix discs being broken/wrong and have never had an issue with ANY discs from GameFly.

They might have my business if the site updates to reflect that it allows games too. Going by the prices on the site, it would pretty much crush gamefly.

If they actually send the right games/movies in a timely manner, I don't think there is much testing that needs to be done in terms of gauging demand. That would be an absolute steal compared to what's out there.

I'm about ready to give up on gamefly due to never ever receiving new release games, so this blockbuster deal might be a good alternative.

I tried blockbuster, and 1/6 of the DVDs i recieved were actually correct. I also wish they had worked out a deal with the USPS like netflix did in order to get wicked rates on mass shipping and special delivery schedules.

If only blockbuster followed the netlix process, of : recieve, rip (mailer), check (correct disc), clean (usually quick, if not they send it to a buffer), slip and file. From there, the barcodes just make it automatic and it's awesome.

I wish i could remember the TV show that got to watch this process.

I'm also loving the streaming that netflix offers me, laptop at school, and XBOX on my TV at home.

Here's the e-mail I posted in the Blockbuster thread. There's no mention of test markets, but the main site isn't doing a good job of making it seem obvious.

I signed up for the $4.99/mo plan which is: 1 at a time, up to 2 total per month...

BB.jpg

[quote name='Ryukahn']They might have my business if the site updates to reflect that it allows games too. Going by the prices on the site, it would pretty much crush gamefly.[/QUOTE]

Not if their game selection is anything like it is in their stores. And considering that BBs online movie rental is basically a second-rate netflix, I seriously doubt they would even compete with GF, let alone crush them.

[quote name='wastedyears']Not if their game selection is anything like it is in their stores. And considering that BBs online movie rental is basically a second-rate netflix, I seriously doubt they would even compete with GF, let alone crush them.[/QUOTE]

But there's a huge market that Gamefly doesn't reach and seems to have no interest (or ability) to reach. I've had numerous Gamefly trials and temporary subscriptions, and I never feel like what I get out of it is worth what they charge.

I used to be a subscriber of the now defunct GameznFlix back in the day...which was horrible for the most part. But it was cheap and offered both movies and games. If BBV can improve on that model even a little, they'd be appealing to people like me. Hell, even if BBV just brought back the in-store coupons that are good on games, it would pique my interest. I only need 2-3 games per month. I doubt it would make me give up Netflix and their amazing instant streaming, but I'd at least consider BBV...which is more than I can say now.

Too bad I just canceled my 5-year-old BBO subscription effective next week. Had a bunch of games in my BBO queue for a while but never had the overwhelming need to rent them that I'd move them up and pay whatever the extra fee was.

RewardZone promo and Wii streaming make Netflix an easy choice now.

I had blockbuster about a year ago for a while. yes, their online sucks, they lie about it's availability, the description & even wrong discs. I had a few broken ones, but on par with gamefly's condition of their discs. netflix is the best on all counts. I signed in to check for game rentals & only advertised the in-store game monthly pass for $15.
I checked the help section:
We are currently testing Games By Mail in the Cleveland, OH and Seattle, WA areas that will allow you to rent video games through the mail with BLOCKBUSTER® as well.
We also allow you to purchase video games under the GAMES tab.

Edit: Blockbuster is practically bankrupt & the dvd/streaming market is saturated. the only way to survive is the game rental market which has only gamefly as a competitor. I do beleive blockbuster had done online rentals in the past. if they are worried about stolen discs, a requirement that any lost discs will automatically get a $20 fee on your credit card should suffice & the third time will result in being banned. though they should do more in-store game rentals then online since discs can get stolen in the mail.

Last edited:
Back in the day when Netflix was just getting warm and not on my game systems, Blockbuster had the edge IMO with the ability to return in store/quicker turn around and a free rent, and also would send out occasional free game rental coupons.

However it was their failure to keep providing and capitalize on the game portion that'd have me give up on them, and not look back. They had to come up with something, and I'd have used the local store/game options and stuck with BB if that was part of the mix. Instead even though I'm not a big movie watcher the instant queue is a nice extra, so Netflix gets my $/mo, even when not using them a lot =b

Wow, seems I'm the only one that loves BBO. I've been with it since it was offered and have had great luck. Never got a broken or wrong movie. I'm on the 2 out at a time(blu-ray)/unlimited in-store exchanges, and 1 free game rental a month for $18.18 with tax. My local store is 5min up the street and everyone in there is fantastic. Most have become friends.

I hope they add games to the BBO in Atlanta soon.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But there's a huge market that Gamefly doesn't reach and seems to have no interest (or ability) to reach. I've had numerous Gamefly trials and temporary subscriptions, and I never feel like what I get out of it is worth what they charge.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. IMO Gamefly charges way too much, and it's only worth it if you are guaranteed to get all of the new releases, or if you can beat several games a month.

OP here; sorry I couldn't post a screenshot as I was running out the door when I posted. I live in Columbus, OH, so I guess the "test market" area is all of Ohio? And it never says anything about only being a test market deal, but it seems likely. Hopefully this gets picked up full-time for everyone.

I am fairly happy with BBO rentals, like many have said, the turnaround time is pretty slow. I've found the best way to do it is to use the in-store swap option, then when you return the swap the computer sees the return instantly and mails the next one soon (still 3 days for me though)

I've had BBO since it started. It was really terrible at first and I was always getting scratched/unplayable discs or wrong discs. But they kept sending me coupons for free movies and, at the time, gave me two coupons for game rentals a month. So I stuck it out and it improved a lot. I haven't gotten an incorrect or unplayable disc in probably two years. It takes 2-3 days to get movies and I can get new movies relatively often, if not by mail, then almost always by in-store exchange.

They did cut me down to one game coupon, and raised my price from $17.99 to $19.99/mo., but they let me stay on the unlimited in-store exchanges, 3 at-a-time plan (incl. blu ray). So it's not a bad deal. I wish they would offer this game deal in the porland, or area.

That's weird how everyone is having problems. My parents have had Blockbuster online for a few years and only have received a few faulty discs (3 or 4). They get movies all the time as well so the faulty discs are less than 1%.

I don't like blockbuster because they are ALWAYS changing there plans around and switching things up. It now costs $5 to rent a movie, I was soo into the $1 movies and now I just see empty parking lots everytime I pass by there. They always manage to fuck them selfs over somehow. I don't see this lasting long even though it sounds like a great idea

[quote name='jgressley']Here's the e-mail I posted in the Blockbuster thread. There's no mention of test markets, but the main site isn't doing a good job of making it seem obvious.

I signed up for the $4.99/mo plan which is: 1 at a time, up to 2 total per month...

BB.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Does it say for what systems... I be interested if it was DS games but doubtful

I would rent 2 Ds games a month for 4.99 : )

EDIT... Nevermind seems my account is still BANNED for turning them into the BBB few years back

They said i did the report issue too much and then they cancelled my account saying i kept 22 of their movies...took it all the way to the BBB and i won the case cause Blockbuster could not PROVE I keep the 22 moveis and i had every email saying every movie was returned

I've been using Blockbuster online for about a year now, and while my experience hasn't been flawless, I've been pleased with the service overall. The movie usually arrives one day before they estimate that it will, and it takes them about 24 hours to process the return. I'm on the one at a time plan since I don't have that much time to watch movies, and when I'm in the mood to watch the next movie I get right away, I can basically make it so I get one movie each week. Seems to be a pretty good deal to me for only $9 a month when compared to ticket prices at the theater.

It is strange that when I do have a problem with the discs either being cracked or looking like they had some chemical spilled on them, it happens to my next few rentals in a row. Then the website starts assuming that I might be the one damaging the discs and not taking responsibility for it, and requires that the broken/damaged one be returned before they ship out another one. Otherwise, it's a pretty smooth process and I'm glad I've signed up since I've managed to see so many movies that I've been interested in over the years :)

The only reason why I went with Blockbuster was due to the fact that they have Blu-Ray rentals for no additional cost whereas Netflix charges an extra couple of bucks for Blu-Ray.

[quote name='Drizzt']I've been using Blockbuster online for about a year now, and while my experience hasn't been flawless, I've been pleased with the service overall. The movie usually arrives one day before they estimate that it will, and it takes them about 24 hours to process the return. I'm on the one at a time plan since I don't have that much time to watch movies, and when I'm in the mood to watch the next movie I get right away, I can basically make it so I get one movie each week. Seems to be a pretty good deal to me for only $9 a month when compared to ticket prices at the theater.

It is strange that when I do have a problem with the discs either being cracked or looking like they had some chemical spilled on them, it happens to my next few rentals in a row. Then the website starts assuming that I might be the one damaging the discs and not taking responsibility for it, and requires that the broken/damaged one be returned before they ship out another one. Otherwise, it's a pretty smooth process and I'm glad I've signed up since I've managed to see so many movies that I've been interested in over the years :)

The only reason why I went with Blockbuster was due to the fact that they have Blu-Ray rentals for no additional cost whereas Netflix charges an extra couple of bucks for Blu-Ray.[/QUOTE]

careful with reporting cause if you use it too much they will lie and say you kept the dvds and ban your account :)

[quote name='jgressley']Here's the e-mail I posted in the Blockbuster thread. There's no mention of test markets, but the main site isn't doing a good job of making it seem obvious.

[/QUOTE]

How do you add games to the queue? I just signed up and don't see anything that lets you add a game to the queue. You have the link from the email you received?

I have BBO and Netflix, I like the netflix for streaming and the BBO for instore exchange convenience. I have the all you can eat BBO plan but only pay 20$ per month as I was an early adopter. I have had maybe 1 broken disc in 2 years, and my only complaint was when they reduced my 2 free game rentals down to 1. If they offer free game rentals or 2 games per month for 5$, this becomes utterly irresistible. They recently lowered their game rentals price, but it's still more than 5$ and you only get 5 days, so how can they possibly make a profit.

[quote name='Supes']Wow, seems I'm the only one that loves BBO. I've been with it since it was offered and have had great luck. Never got a broken or wrong movie. I'm on the 2 out at a time(blu-ray)/unlimited in-store exchanges, and 1 free game rental a month for $18.18 with tax. My local store is 5min up the street and everyone in there is fantastic. Most have become friends.

I hope they add games to the BBO in Atlanta soon.[/QUOTE]
lucky dog... i used to enjoy the same sort of coolness until they close down the location :(
I like physical stores, you can quickly exchange discs/games, perfect plan for chasing achievements/trophies. For GF, i had hard time getting Hannah Montana even, so sad... :(

[quote name='Hupperware']How do you add games to the queue? I just signed up and don't see anything that lets you add a game to the queue. You have the link from the email you received?[/QUOTE]
I hate to say it, but I didn't see this when I signed up earlier (see arrow). (Unless it was in the fine print) I didn't see advertised anywhere that I was participating in a BETA.

BB2-1.jpg

i've had BBV for years and have had decent service.. i've been locked in some old plan for years.. still expensive, but i think better deal than their current rates

always think about canceling but my old rate w/ unlimited in-store exchange is way too much now.. if they add games then it's def. worth keeping to me

thanks for heads up

I actually had a pretty decent experience with BBO, that wasn't really the reason for the switch. But the advantage they had over Netflix was the unlimited in-store exchanges. Once they started counting those as your movies out and then the store nearby closed, that was useless. As a result I can either pick BBO with 3 out at a time for $20 a month, or Netflix 1 out at a time with unlimited streaming for $10 a month.

I wish they had this over by me. I'm still grandfathered into the plan that had the 2 free game or movie rental coupons. The problem is they got rid of their "no late fee" policy, so now if I keep it over 5 days, I pay $1 per day.

I haven't had any problems with their online service though. I think I only got a broken dvd once or twice.

I've been using the Pass to go nuts on Blu Ray rentals and a few games, but since joining CAG I've accumulated so many cheap games that I find myself not wanting to bother renting them. Plus, I added the Blu Ray option to my 1 Out Netflix, so the Pass has become somewhat extraneous. Oh well, it had a good run.

It's about time they went that route. I might look into it once it gets really going. I am currently on a Blockbuster in-store Gamepass (my store for the most part always has what I am looking for). Don't hate on Blockbuster... they have a month gain on any new warner bros title (i.e. Blindside, Sherlock Holmes, etc).

[quote name='slidecage']careful with reporting cause if you use it too much they will lie and say you kept the dvds and ban your account :)[/QUOTE]

Noted! Fortunately it only happens once in a great while to like 2-3 movies max, so the time in between with me renting and returning all of the undamaged ones should hopefully keep me safe. :)

It'd be great if they made this for all members. I've had them for three years and am locked in under the 3 out at a time, unlimited in store exchange and two free rentals for $17.99 a month. I like BB because I rarely do not get the latest movie in store, I used the mailed movies to get the older titles and then exchange them for new releases in store. They update me within minutes of returning the mailer to the store that the next movie is being sent out. I just restarted my gamefly subscription a week ago.

You are limited to one game at a time, no matter which plan you have... and it's only PS3, PS2, 360, and Wii games.

bread's done
Back