Blockbuster online rentals now includes FREE game rentals

plong

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Yep, you read it right. Just got an email telling me about it. Now, pay NO ADDITIONAL FEES to add video games to your Blockbuster Queue! That, plus no Blu-ray charge and in-store exchange makes for a solid competitor for Netflix.

Blockbuster Online use to have HUGE advantages over the competition. The in store coupon for a free game rental made the service alone worth it. Why pay $8 for a game rental when you can get a $4 limited movie plan and get the coupon as well?

Then they eliminated the coupon, but they had in store exchanges! With the in store exchanges it meant that I could get twice as many movies from Netflix at the same price, and I could still exchange a movie for a game at a reduced price of $5 instead of $8!

Then they started outing in store exchanges as part of your plan as a disc that was counted as "out" and they don't ship your next disc until it's returned to the store, and now those exchanges are due back in 5 days or you get a late fee. There's really no reason to have in store exchanges any more unless you must have a movie immediately.

In the Chicago area I've found that BBO is just as fast as Netflix, and because less people use it I have a greater chance of getting the movies I want, especially Bluray movies. It's just a shame that over the years they've started offering less for more money.

Edit: I guess you get movies 4 weeks earlier with Blockbuster, but I'm guessing if you find Netflix's advantage to streaming the older movies online you're probably not as interested in brand new releases anyway.

[quote name='stoned99']I have BBO and Netflix, I like the netflix for streaming and the BBO for instore exchange convenience. I have the all you can eat BBO plan but only pay 20$ per month as I was an early adopter. I have had maybe 1 broken disc in 2 years, and my only complaint was when they reduced my 2 free game rentals down to 1. If they offer free game rentals or 2 games per month for 5$, this becomes utterly irresistible. They recently lowered their game rentals price, but it's still more than 5$ and you only get 5 days, so how can they possibly make a profit.[/QUOTE]

WTF! A few of you have mentioned getting one free game rental a month.

Is this a coupon? How do you get the game??

I've been with Blockbuster for many years. I did like the 2 games per month and was pissed when they eliminated it. I've stuck with BB because of the instore swap . . . which is nice for last minute decisions.

I've been pretty pleased with the service overall . . . very few problem discs.

But I'm mystified about how some of you have continued getting one game a month.

[quote name='Ed_']It'd be great if they made this for all members. I've had them for three years and am locked in under the 3 out at a time, unlimited in store exchange and two free rentals for $17.99 a month. I like BB because I rarely do not get the latest movie in store, I used the mailed movies to get the older titles and then exchange them for new releases in store. They update me within minutes of returning the mailer to the store that the next movie is being sent out. I just restarted my gamefly subscription a week ago.[/QUOTE]

I just checked my account and found I get the $17.99 rate as well:

Your Current Plan:
BLOCKBUSTER Total Access $17.99 / month (plus taxes)
3 at-a-time, Unlimited mailings
5 In-Store Exchanges

Unlimited online DVD's 3 at a time for $17.99 with 5 free in-store exchanges per month.

I just don't see any mention of games.

I guess I'll try renting one as an exchange.

[quote name='lordopus99']It's about time they went that route. I might look into it once it gets really going. I am currently on a Blockbuster in-store Gamepass (my store for the most part always has what I am looking for). Don't hate on Blockbuster... they have a month gain on any new warner bros title (i.e. Blindside, Sherlock Holmes, etc).[/QUOTE]

So many people have complained about Gamefly that I never tried it. The BB Gamepass seems like a pretty good deal.

This is what i got from Blockbuster

Customers in our Cleveland and Seattle market may rent unlimited games each month, for an additional $7.99, if they are on a BLOCKBUSTER Online plan that allows unlimited rentals through the mail. Please visit http://www.blockbuster.com/games/help for plan details.

For customers not in the Cleveland or Seattle market, and are interested in Games By Mail simply complete our inquiry form at the following address and we will notify you once Games By Mail is available in your area.

http://www.blockbuster.com/gamesupdate

SO ITS NOT Even free they charge you 8 + your normal membership fee

once again #$#$# them

I dunno if this is limited trial or what but I'm trying it. I wonder can I get 3 games at a time like I do for video....

Hmm... it's $14.99/month for the GamePass and $8.99 starting for 1 at a time DVD rental. Is there a plan where you can rent both games and/or DVD movies 1 at a time versus these separate plans?

[quote name='JaxMoney']Hmm... it's $14.99/month for the GamePass and $8.99 starting for 1 at a time DVD rental. Is there a plan where you can rent both games and/or DVD movies 1 at a time versus these separate plans?[/QUOTE]

If you do Blockbuster's In-store Gamepass, you can rent either games or movies with it.

[quote name='lordopus99']If you do Blockbuster's In-store Gamepass, you can rent either games or movies with it.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, thanks. Is it the same price? $14.99 or?

[quote name='schultzed']WTF! A few of you have mentioned getting one free game rental a month.

Is this a coupon? How do you get the game??

I've been with Blockbuster for many years. I did like the 2 games per month and was pissed when they eliminated it. I've stuck with BB because of the instore swap . . . which is nice for last minute decisions.

I've been pretty pleased with the service overall . . . very few problem discs.

But I'm mystified about how some of you have continued getting one game a month.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's a coupon that you can print when you go into your account (and they email you and notify you when a new coupon is available for printing).

This is my plan:
BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium
$19.99 / month (plus taxes)
Unlimited In-Store Exchanges
+ 1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month

It had been $17.99 with 2 movie/game coupons, and they sent me an email - maybe 2 years ago - thanking me for being a long-time customer, and that the price was going up to $19.99 and I would only get one coupon per month, which was disappointing but I'm still getting a good deal overall, esp. since there is a large store a few blocks away.

[quote name='Orgymang']If you like receiving broken or wrong games in the mail then Blockbuster Online is for you. I swear I did a couple month trial from them about 9 months and constantly received broken or wrong DVD's. I rarely, if ever, had issues with Netflix discs being broken/wrong and have never had an issue with ANY discs from GameFly.[/QUOTE]
I never had an issue with broken or wrong discs...I just had a problem with BB raising my subscription while limiting the content I got.

[quote name='slidecage']This is what i got from Blockbuster

Customers in our Cleveland and Seattle market may rent unlimited games each month, for an additional $7.99, if they are on a BLOCKBUSTER Online plan that allows unlimited rentals through the mail. Please visit http://www.blockbuster.com/games/help for plan details.

For customers not in the Cleveland or Seattle market, and are interested in Games By Mail simply complete our inquiry form at the following address and we will notify you once Games By Mail is available in your area.

http://www.blockbuster.com/gamesupdate

SO ITS NOT Even free they charge you 8 + your normal membership fee

once again #$#$# them[/QUOTE]

Seriously? So for $8 you get only 1 game a month as well? It's no better than going to the store and renting it then.

I'll continue using MyCokeReward points for free rentals...

[quote name='schultzed']So many people have complained about Gamefly that I never tried it. The BB Gamepass seems like a pretty good deal.[/QUOTE]

GF sends mostly games not many people want. If you add games you actually want to play badly it takes weeks or months to ship and holds up the queue. Then you get the game and it is unplayable or chipped on the outer edges so bad it sounds like a jet plane in your drive. Then it takes like 5-7 days shipping to get to me in NY. So i waste so much time waiting on the queue to ship certain games and wait for the ship time. If i want old games we can get cheap it still is not worth it for me. BBO is not as bad IMO but i love netflix but no game rentals there.

[quote name='Astro7x']

I'll continue using MyCokeReward points for free rentals...[/QUOTE]

The blockbuster rentals are the only things I have gotten off of the coke rewards site in a long time.

[quote name='JaxMoney']Oh ok, thanks. Is it the same price? $14.99 or?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what the one out at a time pass is... i think it is 19.99. I have two out and my pass comes around 29.99+tax.

[quote name='imacjenn']Yes, it's a coupon that you can print when you go into your account (and they email you and notify you when a new coupon is available for printing).

This is my plan:
BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium
+ 1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month

It had been $17.99 with 2 movie/game coupons, and they sent me an email - maybe 2 years ago - thanking me for being a long-time customer, and that the price was going up to $19.99 and I would only get one coupon per month, which was disappointing but I'm still getting a good deal overall, esp. since there is a large store a few blocks away.[/QUOTE]

I have
BLOCKBUSTER Total Access
5 In-Store Exchanges

To step up to unlimited store exchanges would cost 34.99 for me at least...

I love BBO and in store trading, I rarely get the wrong disk or anything broken and have been using it for years now. I had gamefly briefly but it took them 10-14 days turn around time from when I mailed my game to when I got a new one. I am 1 state away so noway it should take that long. I never could get any new games so I let it expire. If BBO offers games I'll be all set with them. Turn around time for movies is 3-5 days for me.

I've used BBuster's in-store game pass for a couple years. I think it's $22-25 a month, you can keep games as long as you want, and you can swap them out as much as you want as well. I've had 3 games/DVDs in a 24-hour period before, and I've really enjoyed the service.

I still do Netflix' $9/month thing for Netflix on 360/Ps3/Wii, as well, but I'm the captain of overkill.

[quote name='dcm1602']12$ a month for 1 dvd at a time and 5 instore exchanges.

16$ for same shit 2 at a time.[/QUOTE]

not bad. I've done both Blockbuster and Netflix and my internet speed at 3mbps doesn't cut it with netflix streaming at all.. that and at least 8 months ago I didn't care for much of their library.. I could find links online.

The 5 trade in to BBV is what I loved. My GF and I are more of a "on demand" type movie viewers. We don't always plan movie nights, but when we're bored and want to watch something, it's nice to have an envelope sitting around to swap out for a new release or even a game. 5 times a month + your dvd's in mail isn't bad. Plus never had problems with broken discs..

basically I pefer Blockbuster's online service over Netflix. But I just go with whoever can give me a free month trial hahah

[quote name='lordopus99']I am not sure what the one out at a time pass is... i think it is 19.99. I have two out and my pass comes around 29.99+tax.[/QUOTE]

I pay 21.99 for the 1 Out Pass movie/game

[quote name='bburpee']I've used BBuster's in-store game pass for a couple years. I think it's $22-25 a month, you can keep games as long as you want, and you can swap them out as much as you want as well. I've had 3 games/DVDs in a 24-hour period before, and I've really enjoyed the service.

I still do Netflix' $9/month thing for Netflix on 360/Ps3/Wii, as well, but I'm the captain of overkill.[/QUOTE]

I do the same system, and have rented 2 movies back to back in a day just because it was a slow day and BBV is soooo close to me. It seems like I'm overdoing it, though ;)

[quote name='DwayneDays']Im paying 19.99 a month at bbv now for 1 out at a time monthly, hopefully this gets to my area soon[/QUOTE]

19.99 for one game out at a time...right? If it's movies you're talking about you're spending $10 too much and should move to Netflix ;)

[quote name='jgressley']Here's the e-mail I posted in the Blockbuster thread. There's no mention of test markets, but the main site isn't doing a good job of making it seem obvious.

I signed up for the $4.99/mo plan which is: 1 at a time, up to 2 total per month...

BB.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Where did you find the option for the $4.99 month plan. I do not see that option. Thanks

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But there's a huge market that Gamefly doesn't reach and seems to have no interest (or ability) to reach. I've had numerous Gamefly trials and temporary subscriptions, and I never feel like what I get out of it is worth what they charge.

I used to be a subscriber of the now defunct GameznFlix back in the day...which was horrible for the most part. But it was cheap and offered both movies and games. If BBV can improve on that model even a little, they'd be appealing to people like me. Hell, even if BBV just brought back the in-store coupons that are good on games, it would pique my interest. I only need 2-3 games per month. I doubt it would make me give up Netflix and their amazing instant streaming, but I'd at least consider BBV...which is more than I can say now.[/QUOTE]

I second all of that. GameFly SUCKED for me. Took 2 weeks to get games (1 week for them to get it, and 1 more week to send it out to me!). And it's not like I live in a remote area of the moon! I live near a major city. Course, that was years ago... so maybe GameFly has gotten better...

Meh, I'd rather go with BBV and get some obscure animes with my games. Netflix has a sh*tty selection of animes... (missing discs in many series).

Sadly, I see nothing on the BBV website that even remotely mentions renting games online. At the very least, you'd be able to see a "add to queue" under a game - but all they have is buy online. Lame.:drool:

I e-mailed BBV today about getting this deal rolling for my account and all that they said is sorry about the e-mail and please disregard it. This deal is only a test for the Cleveland, OH & Seattle, WA areas...so if you don't live in Seattle or Cleveland, this deal will not work. Sorry about the bad news fellow CAGs.

schultzed, looks like I'm paying the same as you, but I was somehow able to keep the 2 free game rentals and my monthly total is only $17.99. I don't know how I did it, but I'm happy with the service. This is what the plan info says:

• BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium
  • $17.99 / month (plus taxes)
    + 2 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month

I'm not sure how the site will change the service now that the Beta is over (the site is currently down for maintenance).

I just got this note from Blockbuster.com:

Dear BLOCKBUSTER Online Customer,

Today marks the national launch of our Games By Mail program. As a beta tester of the service, you were instrumental in getting us to this day. We couldn't have done it without you!

So we just wanted to say thanks for participating. We hope you enjoyed the experience and will enjoy some of the things we've done to fine-tune the service for national launch.

The national launch will include over 3,000 games for the PS3, Xbox 360Wii. Not all titles available during the beta test will be available now, so you may notice some games moving to the Not Yet Available section of your Queue. As we continue to work on the service, we will strive to add even more games to our inventory.

Thanks again for your help!

Your friends at BLOCKBUSTER

had BBO for a few years now. live in Portland OR, and have both netflix and Blockbuster distribution centers within 50 miles of me (2 day turnaround through mail, 1 if i return to store). started with netflix and switched to blockbuster due to their same price Blue ray and rumors years ago of online game rentals. so far have not had any major issues with BBO and am extremely excited about the online game rentals.. ABOUT TIME!

Ive now got my queue filled with tons of games that ive been wanting to play but not shell out the cash for. only disappointment so far is the availability of the new releases. 3 month delay sucks, but heres hoping it goes away after the service is around for a bit longer.

Sold, canceling Netflix at the end of the month and starting Blockbuster today. I pay $12 to get Blu-ray's and streaming and $16 to Gamefly for one game for a total of $28 for 2 disc's. Now I can pay $20 and trade streaming of mostly lame movies that rarely change for an extra disc is worth the switch.

bread's done
Back