Blockbuster Previously Played Games - good finds

Morph06

CAGiversary!
I randomly happened to stop at a Blockbuster today when I made a wrong turn....go figure, I guess it was fate. Anyway, I found these at a Houston, TX Blockbuster...

Daxter (psp) $14.99 (no manual, but in great shape)

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (psp) $14.99 (complete, great shape)

Hotshots Golf: Open Tee (psp) $5.99 (no manual but in great shape)

anyway, pretty good find I think. I've been wanting Daxter for a while but I haven't wanted to pay full price for it.

Has anyone else found good stuff at their Blockbuster?

Found Hot Shots Golf (PSP) for $6.99 and Lemmings (PSP) for $14.99. Needless to say I snagged both.

A while back, I found a complete Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance for PS2 for $21. Flipped it on eBay for $45, since I had another copy and it sat on the store's shelf during my month-long surveillance. I immediately jumped on Baldur's Gate 2: Dark Alliance, complete, for PS2, for $24.99 as well. I'm keeping that sucker, and it's in excellent condition.

Even further back, 3 years ago, I scored a complete Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ($10), complete Banjo Kazooie ($10), and Super Smash Bros w/ instructions for about the same amount, I think.

Blockbuster's my hidden trove of gaming gems. But, they do have a lot of crap to sift through.

Blockbuster is good for picking up slightly older stuff. My best score there still has to be the $15 complete Paper Mario (this was about 3 years back, when it was going for $40 easy) I also found each of the .hack games there and for pretty good prices...$12, 20, 18, and 12, respectively, adding up to less than what two of them would have cost me retail. It's not uber-cheap, and you'll have to deal with that film cover over the CD, but you will save substantially off retail.

grabbed

Wipeout for 6.99 complete
Hot shot golf game only 7
NbA live 2006 complete 10
Baseball 2k6 complete 15 just came out like 2 months for 40

metal gear acid 2 complete 10

all will probally go to trading sites (gooze) since i used store credit to buy all

Hmm...it weird people are reporting different prices for Hot Shots Golf. Usuaully BB/Gamerush prices are universal. I just paid $13 shipped for Hot Shots Golf (complete), so I'm sure I'll see it tomorrow at Gamerush for $6.99. Last time I checked they were still selling it for $18 or something like that.

I just picked up Fatal Frame 2: Directors Cut for 19.99 (Mint. Like immaculate), while not the greatest price ever, is pretty good for not having to deal with shipping or ebay or anything.
Mine also has Zone of the Enders: The 2nd runner for $16.99, think it's worth picking up?

Last week after a doctor's appointment in a town I'm never in but know I headed over to the Blockbuster across the street. No DS games, I was hoping maybe to see Rayman for the advertised on CAG $5 but I found Shadow Man for N64 for 2.99 sealed, game was released in 2000.

I hate the way they come with no instruction booklets at blockbuster. sometimes they have great deals on games, but when they don't come with instruction booklets it kinda kills the deal for me.
I asked the employee there why they are like that and they said because ppl steal them. why the hell would ppl want to steal the instruction booklet anyway? assholes.

[quote name='CaptainCarnage']why the hell would ppl want to steal the instruction booklet anyway? assholes.[/QUOTE]

My guess is either the instruction manual goes out with the rented game and people take it out and forget to put it back in when they return it, or they buy the games incomplete somewhere and figure nobody would care if they took a manual from blockbuster (because obviously it wouldn't matter if there wasn't a manual with a rented copy).

Within the past few months, I've found Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for PS2 ($9.99), Klonoa 2 ($12.99), and MGS2:Substance ($16.99). Their prices have led me to stop buying and trading with GameStop.

[quote name='CaptainCarnage']I hate the way they come with no instruction booklets at blockbuster. sometimes they have great deals on games, but when they don't come with instruction booklets it kinda kills the deal for me.
I asked the employee there why they are like that and they said because ppl steal them. why the hell would ppl want to steal the instruction booklet anyway? assholes.[/QUOTE]

Not all Blockbusters take out manuals. I got MGS3: Subsistence and 24: The Game complete during the last 50% off sale. Also people take the manuals because they score copies of certain used games that are incomplete and this is their solution to completing said titles.

My favorite BB finds have been:

Fatal Frame PS2 x2 $6.99 ea
Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO GC $6.99
Arc the Lad PS2 $6.99 (not so great, but OK for me)

I find Blockbuster to be hit-or-miss, but the hits are usually pretty good. Caliburn is right, you do usually have to sift through the crap.

My pet peeve is when they write "Must be returned to Blockbuster" in Sharpie on the manuals :( At least if they write on the disc, Magic Erasers can take it off. (but you have to be careful not to take off the design)

[quote name='cranguy']

My pet peeve is when they write "Must be returned to Blockbuster" in Sharpie on the manuals :( At least if they write on the disc, Magic Erasers can take it off. (but you have to be careful not to take off the design)[/quote]
I've never seen that before. That's pretty weird.

And if you still have that Fatal Frame you'd be willing to sell, I'm willing to pay.

I hit up two different Blockbusters today with some great finds, all $6.99 or $7.99:

Location 1:
World of Outlaws Sprintcars 2002
Klonoa 2
Luigi's Mansion
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Skygunner
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
Zelda Four Swords GC
GTA San Andreas
Mega Man Network Transmission

All were $6.99 at this store. Some of the covers are a bit faded.

Location 2:
Way of the Samurai 2 $7.99
Resident Evil 4 GC $7.99
Suikoden IV $7.99
Aliens vs Predator Xbox $6.99

All in all I'm VERY happy

Also, the stickers on the back indicate that most of these titles were just put out for sale in the last two weeks (at both locations). The dates range from Sept 21 to Oct 5. So I guess I just picked the right time to check my BB.

At the first store, all used titles were $6.99 so I guess it's pretty much YMMV as to how much the store wants to charge?

[quote name='cranguy']
At the first store, all used titles were $6.99 so I guess it's pretty much YMMV as to how much the store wants to charge?[/QUOTE]

Not at all - check your receipt, is this a "franchisee" store? In that case, they are free to charge what they want. Normally, though, used prices are consistent across the country, with the exception that they sometimes sell refurbished disc-only games distributed via headquarters for $9.99 (while the same game might be on the shelf for $34.99 or so if it is a regular trade-in game).

It is VERY unusual for all used titles to be any one particular price, especially one that low. This had to be a franchise store. Consider yourself extremely lucky and that a major YMMV find.

Well I wish I had known this before--

I went to my local Blockbuster tonight (again, a franchise store) and picked up Digimon Rumble Arena 2 (xbox) ($6.99) and Pikmin 2 ($7.99), and took them to the counter.

The employee told me that if I get a Blockbuster Rewards card ($10), I can get $3 off any used item $6.99 or more. That's a pretty sweet discount, so I ended up signing up for one.

Since this is a franchise store, I asked if that discount is good at all locations. She said she didn't know.

So after a $10 card, I ended up getting:

Resident Evil 0 $4.99
Pikmin 2 $4.99
Sonic Adventure DX GC $4.99
Digimon Rumble Arena 2 $3.99

I wish I had known about this card before my spree two weeks ago (see above).

Picked up all the following for $7.99 ea at my awesome local "franchise" Blockbuster this week:

GC:
Paper Mario (Non PC)
Tales of Symphonia (Non PC)
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Pokemon Channel
Bust-a-Move 3000

and my friend got:
Resident Evil 1 GC

Looks like they had put out mostly GC games a few days ago.

Sadly they aren't running the $3 off promo anymore, cos I would have loved to pick up a boatload more at $4.99 ea.

You do know that we all hate you? ;)

Seriously, nice finds there, especially Jedi Knight II.

REGULAR Blockbusters are having 25% off used games now and I was able to get absolutely mint, complete, copies of Shadow Hearts FtNW and MGS Twin Snakes for $11.24 each after the discount. That's as good as it gets at regular BB/GR stores :lol:.

Wow, that's even sweeter.... if they have any good titles, that is?

BB is quickly becoming one of my favorite sources for used/rare titles.

[quote name='cranguy']This one is special for io

$6.99 ea :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
You officially suck, cranguy.

I'm so jealous of those Substances.

Blockbuster had 24 the game for something like 20 bucks, but it was 25 percent off. I might go pick it up. I didn't notice a B2G1, but is it going on?

[quote name='cranguy']This one is special for io

$6.99 ea :bouncy:[/quote]

Wow....you are lucky. I want MGS2 Substance......:cry:
Congrats! That is one amazing find! :D

Just because I like 0wning this thread:

These were on a B2G1 sale, so prices are after discount:

Zone of Enders 2 $10
Drakengard 2 $10
Digimon Rumble Arena 2 PS2 $10
NCAA 2k3 GC ~$6
.hack Part 2 ~$6
.hack Part 3 ~$6

Not nearly as good as my pawn shop finds, though.

I
icon_heart.gif
you, franchise Blockbuster.

$6.99 each:

bread's done
Back