Blockbuster store closing sales YMMV

Sigma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
List of BB stores closing!
Greenwood, IN (Store closed for good 1.10.10)
Long Beach, NY -- closing 1/10
Union Square, NYC
Hooksett, NH
Hermosa Beach, CA
Beaverton, OR
Mesquite, TX
Sunnyvale, CA
Charlotte, NC
Nazareth, PA (Closing Jan. 10th)
King of Prussia, PA (Henderson RD)
Bronx, NY (Bruckner Location)
York Rd, PA
Dunkirk, MD
Phoenix, AZ (Thunderbird and Tantum location)
Laguna Niguel, CA (Crown Valley location)
Arnold, MA (Closing Jan 10th)
Nutley, NJ
Washington, DC

I figured I'd post this, but it is very much a YMMV deal. I live on the South side of Indiana near Indianapolis and several Blockbuster stores around here are now closing like many more will this year.

My local store had some pretty nice deals on used games. They have all now been marked down to 50% off the original price, many of the games have lower prices than then stickers indicate as well.

My store had several games that all came out to be under $15 after the 50% discount.

360 games where all that was left, but I picked up a copy of X-Men Origins: Wolverine for a mere $8. Great condition with the original case and manual intact.

Street Fighter IV, RE5, HAWX, FEAR 2, and a handful of other titles where also still in stock.

Blockbuster is closing down a nice chunk of their stores by the end of this year, so anyone who has several Blockbuster stores around them can be sure at least one if not more of them will be closing shop sooner rather than later.

A side note, they also were running some great deals on Blu-Ray and DVDs as well. I know they had a Blu-Ray Player for sell for $75 at my location.

Last edited by a moderator:
One in Blue Point, NY just locked up yesterday after over 2 months of GOOB sales. I got a used "Zelda :phantom Hourglass" game for $12 or so.

Hopefully we can get a list of stores closing sometime soon... I say OP starts one and adds on to it on this thread? I'll check around my neighborhood and see what's going on. I literally have 3 Blockbusters within a 5 mile radius (no kidding).

[quote name='drktrpr1']Wish there was a list of closing stores, good deals to be had![/QUOTE]
If any CAGs have any store closings, post the location and I will start listing them at the top of this thread.

I believe over 900 stores are closing before years end. So there will be many more deals for us to plunder.

I'll probably swing by one that's about 5 miles from my house sometime this week. It's the only one left and with my luck I bet it closed without me even knowing lol. Probably not cause I remember stopping by for their B1G1 around the summer time.

[quote name='Sigma']If any CAGs have any store closings, post the location and I will start listing them at the top of this thread.

I believe over 900 stores are closing before years end. So there will be many more deals for us to plunder.[/QUOTE]

I'll go out tomorrow on my way to do some errands and report, I've got two Northern Baltimore stores near me.

I just called both stores within 50 miles (yeah... I guess Tennessee isn't really a great place for rentals... >_>;), and according to them, the majority of the closing stores are out West. So for Middle Tennesseans, no closing stores for us. :p

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']I just called both stores within 50 miles (yeah... I guess Tennessee isn't really a great place for rentals... >_>;), and according to them, the majority of the closing stores are out West. So for Middle Tennesseans, no closing stores for us. :p[/QUOTE]
Map
Which of these stores did you call? Just curious. I was about to call the Madison and Hendersonville stores.

I found 2 stores closing here in Charlotte, NC back in October. I haven't seen any more yet (But then again, i haven't really been looking). The best deals are gonna be during the last week of the sale but you are taking a chance that someone is gonna snatch it up before then. Also, they are selling EVERYTHING in the store including the fixtures. I have one of their bookshelves in my apt lol.

I have one a few blocks from my house. I went in but didn't bother to take anything since I didn't know that they had an extra 50% off the tagged price.

Bronx, NY. Bruckner location.

[quote name='yruluis']I have one a few blocks from my house. I went in but didn't bother to take anything since I didn't know that they had an extra 50% off the tagged price.

Bronx, NY. Bruckner location.[/QUOTE]

Games are only 30% off the preowned price. A great deal for something that just came out (you only pay like 35 bucks for a newish game). The best things to be had when the sales start are the hardware (controllers, systems, guitars etc).

is there a way to get a list of all the stores that are closing???

I live in Austin TX and stopped by one thats closing this week...all dvd's were $2 and some games were still expensive.

Im wondering if any other location is closing down...i need cheap games to add to my collection lol

Phoenix, AZ store at Thunderbird and Tatum is closing. Their final day of being open is Jan 10th. I just came from there, the deals are utter crap. Anything worth sending to another store isn't even marked down. I did get a copy of Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades for the DS for $2.

Now, if you like Street Fighter 4 on the 360 and don't mind not having a cover, they had 20 of them for $10 each.

The store in Laguna Niguel, CA on Crown Valley is closing on January 10th.

I was there last week. Movies were 2.99, TV season sets were 5.99, and there were some new games/videos that were 30% off but way overpriced.

Most of the remaining stock of movies were truly terrible, with only some good things or the occasional overlooked copy of something decent. Plenty of copies of Watchmen (DVD only). There were some used Blu-Rays -- 2 for $25 -- but nothing I even remotely wanted.

I got a fair amount of nerd movies, DC Comics DVDs, and seasons 1-3 of Six Feet Under. I walked out with some great stuff (Caprica, Green Lantern, Repo the Genetic Opera, Watchmen) but most were the last copies.

[quote name='JaroldL']that x-men deal sounds really good.

@sigma, is that blu-ray player new or reburb on your OP?[/QUOTE]
They were new, some of the larger BB stores thought it would be a good idea to sell Blu-Ray players about a year or two ago and well they didn't sell so now they are being sold for cheap. They were going fast though, big YMMV with them.

KC, MO. The store north of the river in the Antioch Mall shopping center area is closing. It might be closed by now. It's been a week or so since I last went by.

In Rockford ,Ill at a Mobile gas station Blockbuster put in a Blue Box FOR dvd RENTELS. Does this mean that the RED BOX is Blockbusting Blockbuster?

[quote name='polishpride212']Any in northern NJ or NY (Suffern/Nanuet Area)?[/QUOTE]

I was in that area about a month and a half ago visiting family (I'm from Rockland County originally) and saw that the one in Valley Cottage on 303 was closing. I dunno if it is already or not.

A couple near me now are closing next Monday. One in Boca Raton, FL (picked up Bully on Saturday for 50% off, total $7.49), and one in Boynton Beach, FL (not much left, though is 60% off today...lots of Street Fighter IV). So those are two I know of in South Florida.

[quote name='mightymek']I was in that area about a month and a half ago visiting family (I'm from Rockland County originally) and saw that the one in Valley Cottage on 303 was closing. I dunno if it is already or not.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up. It is about 20 minutes away from me, but worth the drive if they have something good.

[quote name='josh62488']is there a way to get a list of all the stores that are closing???

I live in Austin TX and stopped by one thats closing this week...all dvd's were $2 and some games were still expensive.

Im wondering if any other location is closing down...i need cheap games to add to my collection lol[/QUOTE]

i called the location on south lamar and they are not closing, and the BB on congress gets too much business to close, which store did you go to that was closing

[quote name='bajingo']i called the location on south lamar and they are not closing, and the BB on congress gets too much business to close, which store did you go to that was closing[/QUOTE]

The one by Fry's maybe? I remember they used to have two locations on Parmer, which seemed pretty dumb imo.

nutley, nj is closing. I was there Friday and they didn't have anything good. Only 10% off blu-ray and no good games available.

[quote name='bajingo']i called the location on south lamar and they are not closing, and the BB on congress gets too much business to close, which store did you go to that was closing[/QUOTE]

How busy the store is doesn't seem to matter... The Strongsville, OH store is closing, and that place was always busy. (They claim the landlord sold the lease or something.)

Thanks for this update, I've been wondering if this one had anything worth checking out.

The El Toro BBV next to Hometown Buffet had some overpriced games a week or two ago, but I was wondering if they were lower than marked. I didn't ask for any price checks, so my loss if they were.

Anyone finding any specific good deals tagged higher than they sell for?

[quote name='blandstalker']The store in Laguna Niguel, CA on Crown Valley is closing on January 10th.

I was there last week. Movies were 2.99, TV season sets were 5.99, and there were some new games/videos that were 30% off but way overpriced.

Most of the remaining stock of movies were truly terrible, with only some good things or the occasional overlooked copy of something decent. Plenty of copies of Watchmen (DVD only). There were some used Blu-Rays -- 2 for $25 -- but nothing I even remotely wanted.

I got a fair amount of nerd movies, DC Comics DVDs, and seasons 1-3 of Six Feet Under. I walked out with some great stuff (Caprica, Green Lantern, Repo the Genetic Opera, Watchmen) but most were the last copies.[/QUOTE]

One near me has been closing for a month and a half with the final week being now and I just found out about another today. Went there Sunday when movies were 2.99 and today they were 1.99. I only picked up a new copy of Haze for myself for $12 (the only new title they still had in stock and they had over a dozen), my wife... seriously has problems. She blew over $200 on movies for herself and another 30-40 on stuff she picked up for other people. Gonna check out the other one tomorrow and see if they have anything different.

It's the one way up north on mopac.
ended up picking up Assassin's Creed for $12, I was pissed though cause the manager just said before the store closed they were selling the COD's for $8 a pop! Now the jacked up the prices for some reason...doesn't make much sense...

I really want World's At War...if anyone sees these in Austin TX for that price please let me know.

bread's done
Back