Blockbuster trade in deals

thegamer4787

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
When I went to Blockbuster on 10/01 a sales associate was handing out flyers promoting a trade in promotion at the store starting October 5th The flyer claims that games and DVD's qualify for store credit, and it also claims that everything is worth at least $8. This is a great alternative to trading items at eb or gamestop or what have you, however, it only lasts for a limited time, and no, I do not know how limited the time is so don't ask. I'll just type out the flyer so I'm not flooded with questions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRADE IN
AT BLOCKBUSTER

Gather up all those old DVD's and games
trade them in at blockbuster to get credit for anything in
the store!

Starting October 5th
For a limited time only
EVERYTHING will be
worth $8!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Hey guys, sorry for the lack of specifics. I went to the Tinley Park, IL Blockbuster. What I typed in under the post is the flyer verbatim, so I'm not sure about ps1 games, although I would be inclined to say yes on those seeing how my Blockbuster sells them. I really need to capitalize on this deal.

[quote name='buster90'][quote name='Trakan']Wal-Mart DVD's are $5.50. It wouldn't be the greatest deal to trade them in for $8.[/quote]

Depends. If you buy 15 Walmart DVD's at $5.50 that is $82.50 plus tax that is about $88.

15X $8 is $120

120-88= $32 profit.[/quote]

Why not just get a job. $32 for buying and selling movies is not that great of a deal. Plus BB does not take back some of the oldest movies so you could get stuck with movies they will not take.

While I was picking up MK Deception I traded in 4 DVD's without any problems. 2 were old wrestling dvd's..(Rock the people's champ and Judgement day 2001?). One of my DVD's had a scratch on the barcode but they still took it. I tried trading in dvd's that said promo only where the barcode is but they wouldn't accept it. Any ideas on how to get past that? Those DVD's came when I first bought my DVD. So it isn't like they are only previews for the actual movie.

Thanks

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='buster90'][quote name='Trakan']Wal-Mart DVD's are $5.50. It wouldn't be the greatest deal to trade them in for $8.[/quote]

Depends. If you buy 15 Walmart DVD's at $5.50 that is $82.50 plus tax that is about $88.

15X $8 is $120

120-88= $32 profit.[/quote]

Why not just get a job. $32 for buying and selling movies is not that great of a deal. Plus BB does not take back some of the oldest movies so you could get stuck with movies they will not take.[/quote]

If you planned on spending that much anyways, it'd be worth it. Most likely, not though.

Anyways, I traded in 7 DVD's today and got $56. I bought 4 games with it. :D

Thanks for the heads up on this deal. Traded in some movies I never watch anymore and walked out with $152.50 in credit on my account.

PS The gamerush/blockbuster folks by me are especially nice. Pleasant to go into a store like that.

well here is what I'm going to do, I'm going to get a bunch of cheap dvds from Gamestop with my 20% I have and then go to bestbuy and get some cheap dvds getting rewards points. Then I'm going to watch those movies then turn them in to BB. It will be much cheaper then renting them and I'm sure I'll turn at least some profit.

in pittsburgh all blockbusters are takig DVDs but they are only offering 5 in credit...still not bad...8 would be nicer tho ^^

I traded in 3 dvd's 2 days ago, wanted to get Skies of Arcadia, but it was 29.99 used. I hope to hell that they fix that.

I'm calling the corporate office to fix it and get something free in return hopefully.

Has anybody had any trouble having the balance on your account placed on a Gift Card for use at other locations?

My Blockbuster isn't the brightest bulb in the lamp, and I should have been wary of dealing with them; but I did and now I'm getting the run around. They are claiming you can only have the balance placed on a gift card at the opening of the trade account. So I've got a good deal of credit sitting at Blockbuster that I have no intention of using for rentals, and their new game selection is quite isht, with no means of special ordering games for customers. :?

I'd love to use my credit at their equally incompetent, but some times stocked Game Rush location.

I may have to get on the horn to the district manager if this doesn't pan out. :?

This deal is fuckING BULLSHIT!

I went into BB today with a stack of games and DVDs and asked if I could trade them in. So the guy grabs them and starts checking the condition of the discs and what-not and he's like "Oh you know you can only trade in 2 a day, right?" (STRIKE 1). So I'm like, um NO, I guess I'll just trade Family Guy and Ninja Gaiden then. So he scans them and says Family Guy is $29.99 and Ninja Gaiden is $39.99. So I'm like hell yeah, I'll do that. Then he says that I could only get store credit, but only at THAT store. Turns out that store does NOT carry new games. (STRIKE 2) So I'm like, fine whatever I'll just get DVDs. So he gives me a paper to sign and goes and helps some other customers. So I'm waiting there for 20 MINUTES for this guy to come back and give me my store credit. (STRIKE 3!) FINALLY, he mosey's back over and DOES NOT APOLOGIZE and just grabs the sheet and starts typing stuff in. I ask if I can get a gift card so I can use it at other stores that DO sell new games and he's like "NO". So I start saying how the whole reason I'm trading stuff in is to buy new games and he INTERRUPTS ME and asks for my phone number. (STRIKE 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!) So I give it to him and he scans Ninja Gaiden again and he's like "Ok, this one's $15". And I'm like "WHAT? 20 minutes ago you told me it was worth $39.99"?? And he's like "Uh, guess not" (STRIKE fuckING FIVE!!!!!!!!!) So I just say, Fine, forget it. Grab my stuff and say "thanks for wasting my fucking time" and storm out.

/rant

Hope you all have better luck. I for one will never set foot in a Blockbuster again.

[quote name='Gameboy415']This deal is shaq-fuing BULLSHIT!

I went into BB today with a stack of games and DVDs and asked if I could trade them in. So the guy grabs them and starts checking the condition of the discs and what-not and he's like "Oh you know you can only trade in 2 a day, right?" (STRIKE 1). So I'm like, um NO, I guess I'll just trade Family Guy and Ninja Gaiden then. So he scans them and says Family Guy is $29.99 and Ninja Gaiden is $39.99. So I'm like hell yeah, I'll do that. Then he says that I could only get store credit, but only at THAT store. Turns out that store does NOT carry new games. (STRIKE 2) So I'm like, fine whatever I'll just get DVDs. So he gives me a paper to sign and goes and helps some other customers. So I'm waiting there for 20 MINUTES for this guy to come back and give me my store credit. (STRIKE 3!) FINALLY, he mosey's back over and DOES NOT APOLOGIZE and just grabs the sheet and starts typing stuff in. I ask if I can get a gift card so I can use it at other stores that DO sell new games and he's like "NO". So I start saying how the whole reason I'm trading stuff in is to buy new games and he INTERRUPTS ME and asks for my phone number. (STRIKE 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!) So I give it to him and he scans Ninja Gaiden again and he's like "Ok, this one's $15". And I'm like "WHAT? 20 minutes ago you told me it was worth $39.99"?? And he's like "Uh, guess not" (STRIKE shaq-fuing FIVE!!!!!!!!!) So I just say, Fine, forget it. Grab my stuff and say "thanks for wasting my shaq-fuing time" and storm out.

/rant

Hope you all have better luck. I for one will never set foot in a Blockbuster again.[/quote]

It seems me you just got an A-hole of an employee. I would not blame at BB's just that one for hiring that idiot. Like I always say I would have demanded to see a manager.

[quote name='buster90'][quote name='Gameboy415'][/quote]

It seems me you just got an A-hole of an employee. I would not blame at BB's just that one for hiring that idiot. Like I always say I would have demanded to see a manager.[/quote]
I agree, most of the bb employees are not that bad... I had a couple of dumb asses, but i just wait it out and either go to another gr or wait until a different time of the day (different shifts)

i was told when you trade something in - you can put it on a gift card or create a store balance but that once you put it on the store balance you are stuck (that being said, all the stores seem to have the same stuff anyway)

I don't get how you see a profit when you buy $5 DVD's and get $8 in STORE CREDIT back...you're still spending money to get store credit. If you're getting cash back, then that's really the profit. Plus BB is usually overpriced on their used games.

I called the closest 6 BBs to me and none of them are taking DVDs for store credit. Anyone know of any BBs in north VA that are participating in this? PM me!

ive done this multiple times already. these stores are screwing you.

they ARE allowed to put the credit on a gift card
they ARE allowed to take more than 2 items per trade in.

if it's the manager thats pulling this shit, call the district manager, or just call their corporate office.

I went into BB today with a stack of games and DVDs and asked if I could trade them in. So the guy grabs them and starts checking the condition of the discs and what-not and he's like "Oh you know you can only trade in 2 a day, right?" (STRIKE 1). So I'm like, um NO, I guess I'll just trade Family Guy and Ninja Gaiden then. So he scans them and says Family Guy is $29.99 and Ninja Gaiden is $39.99. So I'm like hell yeah, I'll do that. Then he says that I could only get store credit, but only at THAT store. Turns out that store does NOT carry new games. (STRIKE 2) So I'm like, fine whatever I'll just get DVDs. So he gives me a paper to sign and goes and helps some other customers. So I'm waiting there for 20 MINUTES for this guy to come back and give me my store credit. (STRIKE 3!) FINALLY, he mosey's back over and DOES NOT APOLOGIZE and just grabs the sheet and starts typing stuff in. I ask if I can get a gift card so I can use it at other stores that DO sell new games and he's like "NO". So I start saying how the whole reason I'm trading stuff in is to buy new games and he INTERRUPTS ME and asks for my phone number. (STRIKE 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!) So I give it to him and he scans Ninja Gaiden again and he's like "Ok, this one's $15". And I'm like "WHAT? 20 minutes ago you told me it was worth $39.99"?? And he's like "Uh, guess not" (STRIKE shaq-fuing FIVE!!!!!!!!!) So I just say, Fine, forget it. Grab my stuff and say "thanks for wasting my shaq-fuing time" and storm out.

/rant

Hope you all have better luck. I for one will never set foot in a Blockbuster again.[/quote]

Sorry you went through this ordeal but I just gotta say did you really think he was going to give you $39.99 for a used copy of Ninja Gaiden? He sounds like a total ass tho.

Is the $5 extra per game if you trade in 3 or more supposed to be at all Blockbuster's? Because I just called the closest one and I got "I don't know nothing about about that".

Ouch, that really did sound like a bad ordeal posted above.

I've heard of some BB employees being very nice and helpful, so not all of them are like that. If you want to press it further, you could get the name of that guy and complain. Waiting 20 minutes like that and not even getting an apology for the long wait is WRONG.

/rant

You know the Asswipe game you BB's resell prive the first time, and I guess he realised his mistake the second time round. Can you imagine, if you could only trade 2 items a day, the 5$ extra for 3+ trade in's would be very difficult :)

I too have had bad experience at certain BB's, but there is always another round the corner.

Is the $5 extra per game if you trade in 3 or more supposed to be at all Blockbuster's? Because I just called the closest one and I got "I don't know nothing about about that".

Ive called 3 different BBs in my area and not a one had a clue what I was talking about. They knew about the 8 dollar DVD thing but not about any bonus for trading in 3 or more games.

I dont think its at all BBs. Prolly only really high traffic ones or something.

I called another store and was told "Ninja Hunter" was accepted...the clerk at the store that rejected it said he searched for it manually but couldn't find it....so, I really don't know if it is YMMV or not.

I suppose now is the time to get rid of the 8 2-pack movies i bought from best buy the same month of the $5 SC Madness.

I'll buy just about anything for $5 it seems.

Has anyone gotten more than 8.00$ for a movie? Because they say they give an eight dollar minimum and so far they've only gave me 8.00$ for everyone of my movies?

I got 8.50 for some Albert Brooks movie, can't remember which though. Honestly, $8 is not bad considering a lot of people buy movies the week of release for $15.

Did anybody else attempt to preorder games with their credit, or did you just buy movies? Blockbuster I went to said that they can preorder games and I ended up getting Metroid Prime 2 and MGS 3 fully paid. Perhaps this is just for select stores, but it's worth a try if you have lots of BB store credits and their used game/dvd deals aren't the greatest.

Anyone know if any of the stores in Miami are buying these dvds or accepting trade-ins? I've tried a few in the Kendall area and they have no idea of what im talkingt about.

Thanks

THis deal is starting to be very crappy!!

THey would not take my copy of Rules of Engagement mint condition a 2000 movie starring Samuel L. Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones. THey said it wasn't in their database.

What a crappy database I guess it has to be the hottest new movies only.

[quote name='buster90']THis deal is starting to be very crappy!!

THey would not take my copy of Rules of Engagement mint condition a 2000 movie starring Samuel L. Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones. THey said it wasn't in their database.

What a crappy database I guess it has to be the hottest new movies only.[/quote]

I just traded in some real crap no problem. Your store was full of jerks. Should have pulled the movie off of the their shelf and showed it to them.

[quote name='Gojtron'][quote name='buster90']THis deal is starting to be very crappy!!

What a crappy database I guess it has to be the hottest new movies only.[/quote]

I just traded in some real crap no problem. Your store was full of jerks. Should have pulled the movie off of the their shelf and showed it to them.[/quote]

This makes me raise the question again if stores are all using the same database or what....like I posted earlier a movie that one store couldn't find is in another store I called's database...at least over the phone they said it was.

I traded in three ps1 games I got from meijers for 3 bucks total on clearence

BB gave me 12.50 :)

they took all of my DVDS except some hockey one, it wasn't really a dvd though it was moments of magic or something.

[quote name='buster90']THis deal is starting to be very crappy!!

The DVD may be unrated or something. I tried to trade in Pitch Black and they wouldn't let me because it was the unrated version. :roll:

Seriously guys this is the most YMMV deal. Certain places accept things that other stores don't. Do not be dissappointed or surprised if a BB does not accept a certain title, and try other stores if possible. Hope this deal has helped at least some people, because I know many people have been complaining about it.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='buster90']THis deal is starting to be very crappy!!

The DVD may be unrated or something. I tried to trade in Pitch Black and they wouldn't let me because it was the unrated version. :roll:[/quote]

Yep unrated Original Sin wasnt in their database, the regular one was.

bread's done
Back