Blu-ray Drive recommendations?

Demon Soul

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Anybody have recommendations or experience with blu-ray drives currently out there? I've read some reviews where some blu-rays won't play.

If it matters, Windows 7 64bit for the OS.

And one more question: Is there a recommended software to play the blu-ray movies?

LG has a nice combo HD/BD drive that comes with the software you need. I ordered one from Newegg.com that was OEM and still got the software to play BDs. I can't find the drive on there anymore but I would suggest LG as a brand to check out.

Yeah, I have my pc hooked up top my tv and was thinking of selling my ps3 and buying a blu ray drive with some of the money for my PC. But like OP said, it seems there isn't any freeware blu ray playing software?

So, it seems like all the money I get for the ps3 would just go right back out , again making it pointless.

[quote name='Megazell']I never said disc.

I've downloaded plenty of Blu-Ray files and played them on VLC.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't "Blu-Ray" imply a disc? Do you normally play CD files or DVD files without a disc? :roll: Blu-Ray is a disc format, not a video format.

OP: If you buy a Retail Blu-Ray drive, I'd imagine it would come with OEM software that would play blu-ray movies. Spend a little more for a retail box and don't buy the OEM (drive only) version.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Doesn't "Blu-Ray" imply a disc? Do you normally play CD files or DVD files without a disc? :roll: Blu-Ray is a disc format, not a video format.

OP: If you buy a Retail Blu-Ray drive, I'd imagine it would come with OEM software that would play blu-ray movies. Spend a little more for a retail box and don't buy the OEM (drive only) version.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I have done away with disc years ago. I do everything by download or USB. It would be a challenge for anyone to find a CD in my home.

[quote name='Megazell']Personally, I have done away with disc years ago. I do everything by download or USB. It would be a challenge for anyone to find a CD in my home.[/QUOTE]
Good for you. It doesn't change the fact that Blu-Ray is a disc format. If you don't deal with discs, why even respond to a thread where that is obviously what the OP is asking about?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Good for you. It doesn't change the fact that Blu-Ray is a disc format. If you don't deal with discs, why even respond to a thread where that is obviously what the OP is asking about?[/QUOTE]

The 2nd half of his post asked about software. That was the portion that I addressed.

[quote name='Megazell']The 2nd half of his post asked about software. That was the portion that I addressed.[/QUOTE]
Software to play the discs. You really didn't address it.

Anyway... back to the original topic. This Samsung drive was mentioned in Maximum PC as a nice upgrade from a normal DVD drive, and according to the newegg reviews, comes with OEM software to play the movies as well. Not bad for around 80 bucks.

They have the same drive at Amazon, which in the description states it comes with the Cyberlink BD Suite: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inter...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281646229&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought most drives came with OEM software to run the discs. Mine did and it was not a retail drive.

If money isnt an object then plextor makes a great one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827249055

If you need something cheaper then this is one Ive put in a machine for friend I built because they wanted BR and it seemed to work fine. Ive used their normal drives in the past and they never gave me any real problems. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325

[quote name='Megazell']The 2nd half of his post asked about software. That was the portion that I addressed.[/QUOTE]

I bet your a real pill to work with. No one likes the guy who will take everything possible out of context just so he can sound like he is right and argue even the dumbest of details to death, as evidenced by the responses from other people in this thread.

[quote name='gargus']I bet your a real pill to work with. No one likes the guy who will take everything possible out of context just so he can sound like he is right and argue even the dumbest of details to death, as evidenced by the responses from other people in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm retired but I never had a complaint. Thanks for your concern.

On the subject of drive brands, I'll always recommend LG. My HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive is still kicking years after I bought it. No problems.

[quote name='Megazell']I'm retired but I never had a complaint.[/QUOTE]

To your face.

[quote name='Sporadic']To your face.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but those are the only ones that matter.

[quote name='Megazell']I'm retired but I never had a complaint.[/QUOTE]

Obviously, he doesn't talk to many real people

bread's done
Back