Blu ray player?

Bhhawks78

CAGiversary!
Was looking if there may be a semidecent blu ray player for 100ish? for 150-250 I feel like I might as well get a ps3 but would much much prefer the cheap blu ray player. Only real requirements besides price is that I don't need to buy extra cables (ala hd consoles who don't include hd cables).

Cables should not be a concern since you can get em for dirt cheap online.
Do you want Profile 2.0 or is 1.1 ok?

Just spend the extra and get a PS3, especially with the recent price drop. Or, just wait it out a few more months until Black Friday sales and you could probably pick something up on the cheap.

players are cheap enough now that i dont have to suggest getting a ps3 to ppl.

I have seen some decent 1.1 for $100-150 already. The BD-ROM drives are also $70 or lower already.

[quote name='tholly']Just spend the extra and get a PS3, especially with the recent price drop. Or, just wait it out a few more months until Black Friday sales and you could probably pick something up on the cheap.[/QUOTE]

Just said I don't want a ps3, there are like two exclusives a year I would even rent let alone buy and with multiplat games actually looking better on 360 very often there's no point.

Also I have 0 clue what 2.0/1.1 profile means, just the cheapest bare bones blu ray player that has the right hd cables and isn't a complete P.O.S.

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-NB53...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254254659&sr=8-9

1.1 player... basically you wont have BD live... which I have a feeling will not be utilized anytime soon or if at all to a point where it will be worth it.

Your good to go. I couldnt tell if that comes with cables or not (I have yet to buy a player that did come with a HDMI cable), but you can get then for a few dollars from amazon or check out Monoprice.com

I mean heck..

this LG for $137 looks good if you want bare bones and dont care about BD Live

http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD270-Blu-..._du_6_map_tlink?ie=UTF8&qid=1254256657&sr=1-6

Technical Specifications:

- Profile 1.1 (BD BonusView Enabled)
- Front access USB port for convenient firmware updates
- Full HD output
- 7.1 channels of surround sound with Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, and dts-HD Master Audio technologies
- Digital coaxial output
- Express reaction startup

[quote name='knotfan123']id get a ps3...might as well[/QUOTE]

2-3X the price for 1-3 games a year I care even halfway about, hell no.

[quote name='Lice']http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-NB53...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254254659&sr=8-9

1.1 player... basically you wont have BD live... which I have a feeling will not be utilized anytime soon or if at all to a point where it will be worth it.

Your good to go. I couldnt tell if that comes with cables or not (I have yet to buy a player that did come with a HDMI cable), but you can get then for a few dollars from amazon or check out Monoprice.com[/QUOTE]

Why did I hear about 80-100$ Blu ray players a few months ago? Blech! Shitty rumors ftl... And I just meant hd even component, not hdmi.

I'm not sure Blu-Ray is the right thing for you. You seem to want the cheapest possible bare bones system, don't care for HDMI, etc.

Blu-Ray is a more high end technology....you do know the discs, for the most part, cost more than a standard DVD?

Also, I would doubt that you would find a low end player that came with cables. They are so cheap, that that shouldn't be an issue anyway. Like others have said, monoprice.com

I know component cables are high def cables, but why bother at all if your not gonna run HDMI. You may as well just get an upconverting DVD player, or something like that.

[quote name='guyver2077']
Occasionally you might see some cheap brand players for $99.99[/QUOTE]

Exactly and that's why when I couldn't find them I came here! >_

[quote name='tholly']I'm not sure Blu-Ray is the right thing for you. You seem to want the cheapest possible bare bones system, don't care for HDMI, etc.

Blu-Ray is a more high end technology....you do know the discs, for the most part, cost more than a standard DVD?

Also, I would doubt that you would find a low end player that came with cables. They are so cheap, that that shouldn't be an issue anyway. Like others have said, monoprice.com

I know component cables are high def cables, but why bother at all if your not gonna run HDMI. You may as well just get an upconverting DVD player, or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Yes I want the cheapest bare bones blu ray player, that's why I said that....

I NEVER buy dvds anyways.

Neither my Hd monitor or my HDTV have working HDMI inputs. Just want it to work in hd out of the box, don't think that's a crazy requirement.

Quickly looking at SD, Tiger Direct has a refurb Magnavox for $99 and apparently some Wally Worlds have the same player new for $98 instore.

If that doesn't do it for ya, I'd keep an eye on slickdeals or wait til BF.

[quote name='Bhhawks78']Yes I want the cheapest bare bones blu ray player, that's why I said that....

I NEVER buy dvds anyways.

Neither my Hd monitor or my HDTV have working HDMI inputs. Just want it to work in hd out of the box, don't think that's a crazy requirement.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Then what you need is a Bluray player with Component. Not sure if the cheapos come with component. One of the $150ish players should have component outputs.

Also youll be limited to 720p/1080I and you wont be able to upscale dvd if you care.

[quote name='guyver2077']Ok. Then what you need is a Bluray player with Component. Not sure if the cheapos come with component. One of the $150ish players should have component outputs.

Also youll be limited to 720p/1080I and you wont be able to upscale dvd if you care.[/QUOTE]

Def don't care thanks. Yeah 100$+tax and ship is the limit. I found about 5-6 expired deals on 80-100$ blu ray players >_< Hell even a best buy one from Spring 08 but that mail in rebate is waaaaaaaaaay dead obviously haha.

I know you don't want a Ps3 but really I mostly watch blu ray and stream movies from the pc using Vuze. I hardly use it for games. It is just a great multimedia center to me. I use xbox 360 for games and Ps3 for other stuff. The built in wifi on PS3 is great

if he only wants to spend 100 + tax then ps3 is out of the question for this guy.

Honestly $100 is not alot to work with. your going to end up with a crappy player

sub $150 and you can get something good for sure.

[quote name='Bhhawks78']Just said I don't want a ps3, there are like two exclusives a year I would even rent let alone buy [/QUOTE] :roll::roll: Yeah buddy...

[quote name='Bhhawks78']Def don't care thanks. Yeah 100$+tax and ship is the limit. I found about 5-6 expired deals on 80-100$ blu ray players >_< Hell even a best buy one from Spring 08 but that mail in rebate is waaaaaaaaaay dead obviously haha.[/QUOTE]

So if you don't care about the high-definition at all why would you want to invest in a hi-def format and player? Just grab an upscaling dvd player and call it good. But then you said you don't buy dvd's either so i really don't see the point.

Blu-ray discs still on average cost more so why buy a format that you won't be using the benefits of the format?

Wait for Black Friday, there should be some crazy deals this year. I got my Sony BDP-S350 for $150 from Sony's online store. With current prices you should be able to get a very good player under $100 on Black Friday this year, vs. getting a cheaper brand currently. Though I did read something about Fry's having a Sony player for $100 this week or last week....

I also didn't have an interest in a PS3. I barely touch my 360 as is these days, and Sony's exclusives don't interest me all that much either. A handful i wouldn't mind playing, but no ZOMG I must play that games since I mainly play FPS and WRPGs. So $150 for a good standalone player was (and would still be) a better by for me since I barely play video games these days and don't need another console gathering dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Save up more money and see what drops this holiday season.
You don't have any HDMI ports to work with at all?

Wal-Mart has many blu ray players on sale right now.

There's the Magnabox one for like $98.00 plus tax it doesn't have a ether net port so I don't think it can update to 2.0.

There's the Samsung BD - P1500 and P1590 depending on the store that sells for about $198.00 and I believe that one can update to 2.0

And finally there's the Vizio blu ray player for $168.00 which also can update to 2.0

I'm more then likey getting the vizio one as the reviews I've read for it have been pretty good. The Samsung P1500 have been ok at best alot of people have problems with it.

I can understand someone not buying a PS3 but value wise it is the best option. A cheap player will either break or not be able to be upgraded. In the long run it will only bring you sadness. Years from now you could get a cheap player but for now a cheap one will be a waste of money. I'm not a ps3 fanboy(I own all 3 systems) The ps3 is the best for blu ray and multimedia though.

The insignia players at Best Buy are really cheap right now and I hear that they're actually fairly decent.

[quote name='scum1']I can understand someone not buying a PS3 but value wise it is the best option. A cheap player will either break or not be able to be upgraded. In the long run it will only bring you sadness. Years from now you could get a cheap player but for now a cheap one will be a waste of money. I'm not a ps3 fanboy(I own all 3 systems) The ps3 is the best for blu ray and multimedia though.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a good value--if you'll use the gaming.

If you won't, then you're paying more for a feature that you won't use and are better off with a stand alone.

I know that's sound silly since this is a gaming site--so for most here the PS3 is probably the way to go. It is a great value if you will game on it a lot as well as using the Blu Ray function.

I just still come around because of this forum, the Off Topic forum and the Vs. forum--I barely touch games these days and have very little interest in discussing them.

bread's done
Back