Blu Ray vs HD DVD round 2 (from Gamespot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion has been the same as before. Even with the higher storage capacity of Blu-Ray I think the HD-DVD will be the "winner" of this due to a variety of factors most of which are not technical.

I think I remember seeing Microsoft and Nintendo saying that they were going to go with DVD's still. Personally I don't see the point of "upgrading" from DVD's, but I guess somewhere out there, people want it.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Sony lost out with its superior Betamax technology to VHS ten years ago. Why not let the tradition continue? :D[/QUOTE]
1995? Didn't last nearly that long unless you count garage sales held preceding the trip to the dump :D.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Sony lost out with its superior Betamax technology to VHS ten years ago. Why not let the tradition continue? :D[/QUOTE]

Come on, remember that phrase? "If at first you don't succeed, try and try again." ;)

^^ me neiter...if the xbox 360 uses hd tech, and sony 3 has blue ray then if you plan on buying both, it shouldn't make a difference, as you would have the 2 seperate players...

i also thought xbox was staying with current dvd technology though

[quote name='ryanbph']^^ me neiter...if the xbox 360 uses hd tech, and sony 3 has blue ray then if you plan on buying both, it shouldn't make a difference, as you would have the 2 seperate players...

i also thought xbox was staying with current dvd technology though[/QUOTE]

Yes, they aren't using either blu-ray or HD-DVD in xbox 360, and I dont think anyone knows that much about the Revolution.

[quote name='js1']If I remember correctly,wasn't toshiba & and sony were in talks to unify the next dvd format?[/QUOTE]

I'd refer you to the linked article in the OP...

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Yes, they aren't using either blu-ray or HD-DVD in xbox 360, and I dont think anyone knows that much about the Revolution.

I'd refer you to the linked article in the OP...[/QUOTE]
Revolution will use DVD's as that was what they said at E3, I believe.

[quote name='poe']1995? Didn't last nearly that long unless you count garage sales held preceding the trip to the dump :D.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was more like 20 years ago. And wow, poe, you don't post a whole lot huh? 4 posts in 18 months :)

HD-DVD will win because it is cheaper to manufacture. Sony should either get on board now or it's going to be beta all over again. I don't see why they can't compromise. It just means everything is going to take way longer to get to market.

Well, Sony has another weapon now - the PS3. PS2 really helped launch the DVD format. Will that be anough to help them? Time will tell.

[quote name='Backlash']Well, Sony has another weapon now - the PS3. PS2 really helped launch the DVD format. Will that be anough to help them? Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

It could help but ultimately the cheaper manufacturing costs of the HD-DVD format will win out in the end. Sony would have to sell a TON of PS3s for this to happen - probably 3 or 4 times the amount of PS2s sold and I don't see it happening... I think there is only a small tweak to the manufacturing process of current DVD players and DVDs to get everything in the HD-DVD format. epobirs could probably shed some light on the subject way better than I can.

that really sucks. I don't see the point of HD-DVD. I am fine with DVD as it is. But if I were to upgrade, I'd want the better upgrade. DVD to HD-DVD is such a slight jump, its not worth it.

[quote name='dpatel']that really sucks. I don't see the point of HD-DVD. I am fine with DVD as it is. But if I were to upgrade, I'd want the better upgrade. DVD to HD-DVD is such a slight jump, its not worth it.[/QUOTE]

It should not be a slight jump, as dvd's are NOT Hi def. I would think the diffrence would be the same as watching something interlaced and then in progressive scan..

I think it is a small leap when you look at VHS-DVD leap or Audio Cassette-CD leap. I think as long as we are chaging formats, it should be to Blu-ray which is the better one in the long run, rather than HD-DVD, which will be cheaper now but not as good in the long run.

[quote name='javeryh']HD-DVD will win because it is cheaper to manufacture. Sony should either get on board now or it's going to be beta all over again. I don't see why they can't compromise. It just means everything is going to take way longer to get to market.[/QUOTE]

For the very simple reason that a win for Sony means tens of billions of dolars in future revenue entirely for them rather than being one of many contrbutors to a diverse patent pool. It's the difference between owning almost the entire pie and just getting a slice. Being the primary licensor of Blu-ray technology would give Sony their first reliable net revenue alternative to their games business in many years.

[quote name='epobirs']For the very simple reason that a win for Sony means tens of billions of dolars in future revenue entirely for them rather than being one of many contrbutors to a diverse patent pool. It's the difference between owning almost the entire pie and just getting a slice. Being the primary licensor of Blu-ray technology would give Sony their first reliable net revenue alternative to their games business in many years.[/QUOTE]

True, but it seems like the odds are not in their favor...

[quote name='maxflight']http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/09/news_6127225.html

looks like there will be no compromise on a unified next gen standard for storage media.

I guess xbox 360 and revolution would support HD DVD?[/QUOTE]

I think Microsoft and Nintendo have made it pretty clear they don't want to take sides on this and will stand clear until the dust settles.

Nintendo really doesn't have a horse in this race. They plainly don't care about HD content playback and regard DVD as offering adequate storage for their needs.

Microsoft has an interest but is playing that out through different parts of the company. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD have adopted VC-1 (derived from Windows Media 9 codec) as one of their standard codecs, so they both work in Microsoft's favor in terms of future licensing of the codec for dev tools. (The codec is largely royalty free for use in players. You give a little to get a little.) MS of course is very interested in what drives will go in future PCs, especially Media Center systems. Since the Xbox 360 is already intended to work coopoeratively with Media Center it should be no more than a software update to support streaming from a PC with either type of drive. X360 owners may have to pay a one time license fee to decode the stream on their console but that is still up in the air. For bandwidth and copy protection reasons it's highly preferable that the streaming be of the compressed material but that means the codec in action isn't living on the PC with its own license there. The lawyers will likely have it worked out long before any of us has the chance to try it for ourselves.

[quote name='javeryh']True, but it seems like the odds are not in their favor...[/QUOTE]

But neither are they greatly against. If Sony starts selling PS3s that double as Blu-ray decks before there attracively priced HD_DVD decks in the stores it's practically a done deal. Unlike the Beta/VHS battle, where the products were on the market for nearly a decade before dropping to a low enough price that the market voted decisively with its wallets, Sony is trying leap immediately into a mass market price. When DVD launched the only player under $500 was the miserable RCA unit that couldn't deal with many action scenes without severe glitches. By comparison, the PS3, which would have to be well under $500, will be the reference platform for Blu-ray players.

If HD-DVD decks aren't out at competitive prices before the PS3 launch it becomes a win by default. The only thing that could turn the tide at that point would be for one or the other to have a major advantage in software pricing or usability. Consumers don't care about the behind the scenes issues if the price and performance are right.

I can't think of another case where a major consumer standard's adoption was so deeply tied into a product with a different primary purpose. The PS2 helped get DVD moving in Japan but that was just a pricing issue. The strength VD already had in the US and Europe by that point guaranteed it was just a matter of time for Japan's adoption of it. It wasn't the first point of availability as it appears the PS3 may be for Blu-ray.

I think with the PS3 using Blu-Ray, and the Revolution and 360 using regular DVD format, in addition to major movie studios like MGM (owned my Sony) supporting Blu-Ray, HD-DVD doesn't have much of a chance.

The PS3 is a chance to get cheap (relatively, at about $350, remember DVD players came out at $400) next-gen video technology into peoples homes, and will be a huge factor in the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD battle.

[quote name='epobirs']But neither are they greatly against. If Sony starts selling PS3s that double as Blu-ray decks before there attracively priced HD_DVD decks in the stores it's practically a done deal. Unlike the Beta/VHS battle, where the products were on the market for nearly a decade before dropping to a low enough price that the market voted decisively with its wallets, Sony is trying leap immediately into a mass market price. When DVD launched the only player under $500 was the miserable RCA unit that couldn't deal with many action scenes without severe glitches. By comparison, the PS3, which would have to be well under $500, will be the reference platform for Blu-ray players.

If HD-DVD decks aren't out at competitive prices before the PS3 launch it becomes a win by default. The only thing that could turn the tide at that point would be for one or the other to have a major advantage in software pricing or usability. Consumers don't care about the behind the scenes issues if the price and performance are right.

I can't think of another case where a major consumer standard's adoption was so deeply tied into a product with a different primary purpose. The PS2 helped get DVD moving in Japan but that was just a pricing issue. The strength VD already had in the US and Europe by that point guaranteed it was just a matter of time for Japan's adoption of it. It wasn't the first point of availability as it appears the PS3 may be for Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right. I'd love the superior technology to win out.

I've come to the conclusion: "I have no idea which standard will win."

Both sides have good points: HD-DVD = cheaper to make. But Blu-Ray = double the storage for lots of growth potential & up to 8 hours of HD-quality video. It's a tossup.

troy

[quote name='js1']It should not be a slight jump, as dvd's are NOT Hi def. I would think the diffrence would be the same as watching something interlaced and then in progressive scan..[/QUOTE]
> It is a much bigger leap than 480i to 480p. The movies that they play now on the HD channels and D-Theater tend to be a LOT clearer than the DVD versions, especially since DVD has a maximum resolution of 480i.

The bigger problem that is going to arise from all this is if the companies require a HDMI input for 720p or 1080i, which is what looks like is going to happen.

I've come to the conclusion: "I have no idea which standard will win."

Both sides have good points: HD-DVD = cheaper to make. But Blu-Ray = double the storage for lots of growth potential & up to 8 hours of HD-quality video. It's a tossup.

troy

[quote name='tokerblue']> It is a much bigger leap than 480i to 480p. The movies that they play now on the HD channels and D-Theater tend to be a LOT clearer than the DVD versions, especially since DVD has a maximum resolution of 480i.

The bigger problem that is going to arise from all this is if the companies require a HDMI input for 720p or 1080i, which is what looks like is going to happen.[/QUOTE]

That's what I ment. I was just trying to explain that to the other person.

Does this deal still work if you price match?
Black Ops 2 is $45 next week at GameStop and if you can combine it with this deal then that would be a great deal.

27245983.jpg

My money's on HD-DVD. I can't wait for the Revolution: I heard its going to be a great new system with a cool name that doesn't have you waving your hands around like a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back