Blue Dragon $51.99 @ Amazon.com

I like the game so far. Very traditional turn based Japanese RPG.

No random encounters.

I would jump on this if I didn’t already own the game.

I ordered it from famvid.com 2.5 weeks ago for $46 shipped. It shipped exactly 2 weeks ago, and I still have not received it... :\ I am getting a little worried.

I may have to jump on this if the famvid order never surfaces

Scary that I'm actually considering paying (what I consider) full price for this. It's one of the reasons I'm going to risk a fourth 360.

Only thing is I'm waiting for the Toy's R Us buy one get one free deal, plus hopefully this will hit a reasonable price by next year.

It will likely be 39.99 by the holidays. The reviews are average at best and it's not selling very well.

The Gamepro I got this week gave it a great review, though, and they said it is singlehandedly turning around the 360 in Japan. (I wonder what Cheapy has to say about that.)

I would rent it, and if you like it a lot, then $51.99 is a good deal for you. If it's just okay, I'd wait for a drop.

Just my $.02

The game is alot better then what the reviews say. If you like traditional old school JRPGS then you would like this game.

[quote name='InuFaye']The game is alot better then what the reviews say. If you like traditional old school JRPGS then you would like this game.[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised. Just look at the people involved for crying out loud! I would be absolutely shocked if I don't like it at LEAST as much as Final Fantasy 12 (and Lost Odyssey is the one I'm really waiting for).

Can't wait to play it. It's the first Japanese RPG in years that I've actually been looking forward to :)

With the kind of sales number, we're sending loud and clear message to J-RPG makers that we don't want their shit... You know, you can't cherry pick only good RPGs, as among lots of PS2 RPGs, only a handful were good.

its not a fantastic game by any means, i just got to disc 2 - it has picked up but i shoulda saved my money for eternal sonata

[quote name='codeninja']With the kind of sales number, we're sending loud and clear message to J-RPG makers that we don't want their shit... You know, you can't cherry pick only good RPGs, as among lots of PS2 RPGs, only a handful were good.[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure how to interpret that post, but...

Blue Dragon is far from a "shit" game. The gameplay is simply rooted in older JRPG play styles. Its not the type of game that appeals to the 360 "I wanna frag and call people niggers online!" hardcore fanbase mentality. If anything, it should have released a year later on the PS3 after the price drops a bit more and the JRPG fanbase (Japanese and American) shifts up from the PS2.

I wish this game would sell, though. I WANT more games like this on the 360. It's only the second JRPG we've had so far and the only really good one. Enchanted Arms was largely a steaming pile, and this is coming from someone who beat the whole game (check my gamerscore for proof). BD is one hell of a quality exclusive; beautiful graphics and set pieces; a stunning soundtrack (even that vocal boss track grows on you, and it gets me pumped up!); and a light, simple, but solid story with lots of interesting characters and some truly heartfelt scenes. The gameplay and mechanics might be old-fashioned, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.

(We need an official US release of that difficulty patch, though. With the ability to scale the difficulty up/down whenever you please, so I don't have to start over!)

If you like JRPG's, seriously consider picking this up. Or at least rent it or borrow the first disc from a friend and see what you think. Give it a couple hours to get rolling.

Blue Dragon will be a cheap pick up during the holidays if VIVA PINATA (which I really love) was any indication...

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Blue Dragon will be a cheap pick up during the holidays if VIVA PINATA (which I really love) was any indication...[/quote]

Agreed--wouldn't be surprised to see this hit $30-$40 by the holidays.

[quote name='danh920']its not a fantastic game by any means, i just got to disc 2 - it has picked up but i shoulda saved my money for eternal sonata[/quote]

Eternal Sonata is the shit game. Repetitive game play, no exploration, stupid story+lots of dresses=No Buy for me.

I have played the demos of both games. I didn't think Eternal Sonata was bad but I certainly wouldn't put it on the top of games I want to play. The story sounds boring as hell. The combat seemed kind of restrictive and repetitive but it's hard to say with a demo.

I wanted Blue Dragon to be good so bad but it's just awful. The combat is just horrendous. There is too much going on on the screen and I can't read any of the text boxes. Actual combat is clunky, slow, mindlessly repetitive, and boring. You can't say that it was just the demo when it's the same combat in the real game.

Both games can wait til they hit the $20 mark for me (and I'm really bored) but both will be available for $30 soon enough.

im waiting for the $20 dollar mark too and then go to BB and use a $5 off coupon and cash in the BB checks too...

eternal sonata is another one im waiting for... i believe it will be better than blue dragon... just hope they fix the loading glitch of a 2second pause while walking around on the map...

[quote name='Brian9824']Anyone know the email at amazon if you bought it already to get them to price match?[/QUOTE]

Go through help on their website.

Help --> Contact Customer Service button on the right hand side. The price match helps and works a lot faster if you go through the tool on their webpage and select the order it is about.

[quote name='codeninja']With the kind of sales number, we're sending loud and clear message to J-RPG makers that we don't want their shit... You know, you can't cherry pick only good RPGs, as among lots of PS2 RPGs, only a handful were good.[/QUOTE]
thats the kind of sales non FF or KH games get on PS2. You can factor thats almost no other RPG, but the Xbox360 also has a much smaller user base then PS2.

I'm going to pass on Blue Dragon as I will probably pick up Eternal Sonata when it comes out this Tuesday. Compared to the demo of Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata was much more enjoyable. While I hear that the storyline doesn't stray too far away from the standard JRPG plotline, I really like the idea of the game's Chopin inspired background.

The graphics are also beautifully done, showing that you don't need to push the 360 in terms of technical power to achieve end results.

Also, Blue Dragon plays really poorly on a sdtv set, while Eternal Sonata still looks amazing.

bread's done
Back