Blue Ray

the1brock

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys, I just got a ps3 and right now I do not have an HD-TV (soon I hope, very soon). I was wondering if Blue Ray looks a lot better on regular TVs then regular DVDs. I saw that Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Blue Ray comes out this week and was wondering if it would be worth purchasing it to replace my regular Pirates DVD.

[quote name='the1brock']Hey guys, I just got a ps3 and right now I do not have an HD-TV (soon I hope, very soon). I was wondering if Blue Ray DVDs look a lot better on regular TVs then regular DVDs. I saw that Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Blue Ray comes out this week and was wondering if it would be worth purchasing it to replace my regular Pirates DVD.[/QUOTE]

no

not on a standard def. But if you want amazing sound to go with your decent looking picture maybe. But i would say not until you get the tv.

[quote name='the1brock']Hey guys, I just got a ps3 and right now I do not have an HD-TV (soon I hope, very soon). I was wondering if Blue Ray DVDs look a lot better on regular TVs then regular DVDs. I saw that Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Blue Ray comes out this week and was wondering if it would be worth purchasing it to replace my regular Pirates DVD.[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as Blue Ray DVDs
There is no such thing as Blu-Ray DVDs
There IS Blu-Ray.

While the Blu-Ray version WILL look better then the DVD version, it may not be leaps and bounds because you have an older TV, probably running through Composite cables at 480p....right?

You mean 480i.

Hmm, I wonder what a BD looks like on a standard def TV.
I'll try that one of these days. Sounds like fun.

[quote name='dallow']You mean 480i.

Hmm, I wonder what a BD looks like on a standard def TV.
I'll try that one of these days. Sounds like fun.[/QUOTE]

Yep, 480i.

I don't even own a SDTV anymore...they still make those?

i feel sorry for people that have a 360 or wii and still play on their 27" RCA tube tv from wal-mart...really, these things are designed for HDTVs

you're missing out if you don't have one.

[quote name='gsr']i feel sorry for people that have a 360 or wii and still play on their 27" RCA tube tv from wal-mart...really, these things are designed for HDTVs

you're missing out if you don't have one.[/QUOTE]
The Wii was designed to play on those 27" RCA tube TVs, unfortunately.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']The Wii was designed to play on those 27" RCA tube TVs, unfortunately.[/quote]

hence why there is no wii in my setup..

they need to stop selling damn sd tv's... maybe then nintendo will realize the hd era is now

[quote name='gsr']i feel sorry for people that have a 360 or wii and still play on their 27" RCA tube tv from wal-mart...really, these things are designed for HDTVs

you're missing out if you don't have one.[/quote]

Yep, I am missing out on credit card debt alright.

[quote name='necrojustice']I dont have money for an HDTV, where are you guys employed?[/quote]

I sold my PS3 on launch day.
Camped out.

Working a $6.75/hr retail job wasn't going to get me one. (at the time)

HDTV's are ridiculously cheap these days. (1080p 42" Hyundai for only $1300 and 720p 32" for only $600!), c'mon people. Same goes for people with dialup, now those are the ones holding this country back while the rest of the first world (Korea, Japan, Taiwan, etc) are breezing on 100mbps connections for half of what we're paying!

I do computer design work... my wofe is a nurse... then $2000 tv's dont seem so bad... especially compared to the $35000 nissan pathfinder we just picked up this weekend...

I haven't actually tried watching a Blu-ray movie on an SDTV, but I think it probably will look better than the DVD if only because the colors on Blu-ray seem to be quite a bit more vivid than DVD. (I did an A/B comparison with The Corpse Bride and the thing that struck me most, even more than the difference in resolution, was the color.) And if you plan to get an HDTV anytime in the near future, I'd suggest buying the Blu-ray versions of movies so you'll be prepared when you do get the HDTV.

[quote name='GizmoGC']There is no such thing as Blue Ray DVDs
There is no such thing as Blu-Ray DVDs
There IS Blu-Ray.

While the Blu-Ray version WILL look better then the DVD version, it may not be leaps and bounds because you have an older TV, probably running through Composite cables at 480p....right?[/QUOTE]
The most direct comparison is "BD" instead of "DVD."

Blu-Ray DISC

Also, it's kinda rare, but I've seen "BRD" before too. I believe Sony avoids that to keep people from trying to pronounce it "Bird."

Hell, I had no idea that people tried to pronounce "N.E.S." until about six years ago... "OH! THAT'S why they called the emulator with an icon depicting testicles 'N.E.S.ticle'!" I had been pronouncing it "En-Ee-Es-ticle."

[quote name='icruise']I haven't actually tried watching a Blu-ray movie on an SDTV, but I think it probably will look better than the DVD if only because the colors on Blu-ray seem to be quite a bit more vivid than DVD. (I did an A/B comparison with The Corpse Bride and the thing that struck me most, even more than the difference in resolution, was the color.) And if you plan to get an HDTV anytime in the near future, I'd suggest buying the Blu-ray versions of movies so you'll be prepared when you do get the HDTV.[/QUOTE]
Yep. No reason not to start building your BD library for the future.

Actually I've heard the term Bluray DVD many times, some sites even have them categorized under that heading, and technically it is correct. Especially since DVD only means Digital Video Disc, therefore Bluray Digital Video Disc is right, it might be more proper to say BD, but really the format war is between HD-DVD and B-DVD (which really should be BR instead of BD) ;)

DVD is an official format that is defined by the DVD forum. It has nothing to do with Blu-ray, so no, it is not correct. People saying "Blu-ray DVD" are doing so out of habit. Like people who call all sodas "cokes" ("give me a grape Coke, please!")

[quote name='Zoglog']man HDTVs are so cheap, it's amazing that more people don't have them yet.[/QUOTE]

And quoted for the truth right there. You can get a cheap-o little 32" LCD HDTV for around $500-600. Yes to some that is expensive, but compared to what they used to be..... thats a deal. But I guess running on a $20 pawn shop TV is what being a cheap ass is all about.

[quote name='icruise']Read Only Memory (like CD-ROM, etc)[/QUOTE]

According to my ps3:

DVD = DVD ROM
blu ray = BD ROM
CD = CD ROM

So I'll say the official term is Bluray Disk.

Isn't that what this thread was about? :lol:

[quote name='Zoglog']man HDTVs are so cheap, it's amazing that more people don't have them yet.[/quote]

Maybe they're holding out for 1440p. ;) I was opposite from most folks, I guess... I bought an HD set before my next-gen consoles... and it's not some 80" monster that takes up an entire wall. 32" 720p with a grand contrast ratio. :)

Although I am still too cheap to bother with HD TV drek. I simply use it to watch upscaled DVDs and BD's (when I'm not gaming...) Discovery HD would be a great channel to have if I didn't have to have 2000 other channels of crap and shopping. :D

[quote name='mr ryles']The correct term (according to my ps3) is BD ROM.

Which I believe stands for "bluray disk ROM"

WTF does ROM stand for.[/QUOTE]

I think "Read Only Memory"?

I think "Read Only Memory"?

already been clarified:whistle2:#

ot question anybody knows if the settings on the ps3 already set so that it'll upconvert regular dvds or do i need to set it up
i vaguely remembers it says something like if its connected via component or hdmi it won't convert???? i may be wrong (hope that i am) but does that sound right to u>

[quote name='mr ryles']And quoted for the truth right there. You can get a cheap-o little 32" LCD HDTV for around $500-600. Yes to some that is expensive, but compared to what they used to be..... thats a deal. But I guess running on a $20 pawn shop TV is what being a cheap ass is all about.[/QUOTE]
That's too expensive for me :lol:

Yes i bought a PS3 for that much, but I saved for it so it didn't seem like that much when the time came to get it :p

My 27'' SDTV is good enough for me....for now at least

[quote name='whoknows']That's too expensive for me :lol:

Yes i bought a PS3 for that much, but I saved for it so it didn't seem like that much when the time came to get it :p

My 27'' SDTV is good enough for me....for now at least[/QUOTE]

You say that, but you are living behind a wall of lies.

[quote name='mr ryles']You say that, but you are living behind a wall of lies.[/QUOTE]
Most likely :lol:

Someday. Maybe I'll do what I did when I was saving for my PS3- Everytime I was about to eat fast food/see a movie I put the money away instead towards the PS3...I'm sure I'll have enough for one pretty quickly :p

[quote name='whoknows']That's too expensive for me :lol:

My 27'' SDTV is good enough for me....for now at least[/QUOTE]Once you play games on an HDTV, there is no going back. I use to be just like you, until I got my HDTV.

[quote name='mr ryles']And quoted for the truth right there. You can get a cheap-o little 32" LCD HDTV for around $500-600. Yes to some that is expensive, but compared to what they used to be..... thats a deal. But I guess running on a $20 pawn shop TV is what being a cheap ass is all about.[/QUOTE]

when I first got my ps3, I was playing on a 32 inch TV SDTV; I just had to see how good the ps3 would look on a HDTV... so on black friday I got a 32 inch Westinghouse TV 1080i for 499.99 at BB... it's a pretty good tv too, I thought that 500 was a good deal... its hard to find a HDTV for that price even now.

bread's done
Back